Gayle's Frugal-Attempts Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Gayle's Spend-less & save more

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 am Most of my kids clothes came from thrift shops. They never knew that, but they did enjoy the nice clothes. ;)
Lots of my children's clothing (up to now) have been either clearance at Kmart, or from friends who've gifted me their cast-offs... most of them were in excellent condition when I got them.

I think that I'll need to spend more time hunting up clothing bargains, maybe at Ross or TJMaxx (I hear that there are great deals to be found there), as well as at our local thrift shop.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm" Except for maybe clothes for my children, and since our Kmart here closed a year ago, clothing bargains are harder for me to find... or perhaps they are still around, but I just need to hunt harder for them -- and I'm an impatient clothing shopper at best.
Kids clothes are nearly impossible to find at thrift stores here, especially boys' clothes. It wasn't until DD hit a misses size 2 that we found anything for her at a thrift store.

Mens' clothes are nearly impossible, too.

I don't know what drives it other than we're less 'hard' on our clothes than guys and kids, maybe.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Continuing on with my no-spend goals for this month, I'm reposting from the no-spend challenge over here too.
---
I'm a few days behind, so will play catch-up.

I did spend on Thursday and Saturday last week, with Wednesday, Friday and Sunday being no-spend days. Then I spent this morning (just milk & clementines), and I'm hoping that I can hold out until Friday on spending, however that may be difficult as I realized when I got home that we were out of bananas, and almost out of apples (for ds9's favorite after-school snack).

So thus far:
Spend: 11
No spend: 15

I have hit my goal of 15 no-spend days for February, and I'm hoping for the last 2 days of the month to also be no-spend days. :D
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Great work on the no spemd Gayle.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Today I went banking.

First I set up my HELOC to pull directly from a savings account. I'll deposit 50% of my monthly paycheck into this account before the last day of each month.

Then I went to my personal account, and added a checking account back to it, then added several additional savings accounts (at my CU, I can have up to 50 separate savings accounts). This evening I began putting $20 into each of a few of these.

Now I just need to have the discipline to leave these alone. That might be the hardest part for me.... however, I've now used up all of my monthly online transfers, until mid-March, so that will help me ignore it.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:12 pm Great work on the no spemd Gayle.
Thanks Jackie! I consider that to be high praise from you. :)