Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 am Mmof2, cars are always scary. I hope you get a good, cheap repair. Janet, I also went with the 100 mile AAA. I had used a different company which was cheaper, but at renewal time, they refused to tell me how much they were charging, but they wanted my credit card "on faith". I said no. I said, if you won't tell me your charge, I won't do it. They called several times....from India. "It is our policy......" So bye-bye.
DG..What the heck? They would not tell you how much they were going to charge you? That is beyond weird. I wonder if they were a scam? I use to have AAA but had dropped it when things were really getting bad financially plus my DB bought me a new car. However it is no longer new..lol. When I was a traveling therapist I had AAA and they were great. I had new tires and had the air checked before I left on my trip. I was cutting cross country on some very rural roads when I realized I had a flat tire. I called AAA and on my cell phone but they could not find me on their map. However they did send someone out to look for me. The man was wonderful he brought his wife with him and AAA patched us together.She and I were in communication while he drove. It took him a long time to find me. He said he was about ready to turn around and go in another direction when he saw my car. Anyway he had one heck of a time getting the tire off..He said even if I had wanted to change the tire myself I would not have been able.In fact he said he was close to calling for a flat bed truck to haul my car in..During the whole time not one other vehicle came along on that road and there were no houses to go to to call for help. He followed me in to town to make sure I was able to gt to my home safely.. I had numerous flat tires and it was weird since I had brand new tires.. My landlord told me that one of his other renters had wanted to rent my apartment but he had refused her since she had a cat that had torn up her current apartment. I always wondered if she had something to do with it.. It seemed odd to have so many flat tires.. I even parked in a different spot each day thinking there might be something in the parking lot causing the problem.So no matter how safe you think you are it is still a good idea to have a cell phone and AAA. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

So... I got the news on my car repairs, and it was not good. That sound you hear in the distance is a bugle being played and the tune is “Taps”- my poor car is dead! Just to get it back on the road would be $1500.00 plus another $2000.00 to make it safe, with no guarantee of continuing to be drivable. It is an old car, with many miles. A beautiful friend sold it to me for $1.00 almost 2 years ago, so I certainly got my monies worth out of it. I shall be on a very tight budget to save for another car- I prefer to try to pay cash. The people at the place I took it to for an estimate were wonderful. I will certainly use the for any future repairs I may have once I get a new to me car. I have an awesome roommate that is helping me out with getting to and from work. Anyway onward, and upward!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 pm So... I got the news on my car repairs, and it was not good. That sound you hear in the distance is a bugle being played and the tune is “Taps”- my poor car is dead! Just to get it back on the road would be $1500.00 plus another $2000.00 to make it safe, with no guarantee of continuing to be drivable. It is an old car, with many miles. A beautiful friend sold it to me for $1.00 almost 2 years ago, so I certainly got my monies worth out of it. I shall be on a very tight budget to save for another car- I prefer to try to pay cash. The people at the place I took it to for an estimate were wonderful. I will certainly use the for any future repairs I may have once I get a new to me car. I have an awesome roommate that is helping me out with getting to and from work. Anyway onward, and upward!
Momof2.. I am so sorry to hear of the demise of your car.. I know how painful that can be.. Thank goodness you have someone like your roommate to help out with ride. Good luck with saving your money... I know it will be hard but think positively...I know I can, I know I can.. ((hug)) Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sorry to hear about the car Momof2, but taps is the right decision. Good luck finding something. Hope you get another $1 car and it lasts.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Yes Janet, it was unreal. We were with this company, Allstate, for several years and no problem and suddenly this. I even used their service once last year for a battery jump.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:09 am Yes Janet, it was unreal. We were with this company, Allstate, for several years and no problem and suddenly this. I even used their service once last year for a battery jump.
I had Allstate for about 6 mo after the contract ran out on my new car free roadside service for 5 years from Ford. I did not like the idea that I could use any service and then send them the bill for reimbursement.. That was the contract I had with them. I thought I do not want to have a problem in an area and not know who to call so went with AAA that knows who to call in whatever area you are in. Jane Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama