Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:24 pm I have managed to stay out of the grocery store one more week. I am continuing to use what is on hand. I used a cup of cranberries from the freezer along with some orange marmalade that needs using from the fridge in some cranberry-orange muffins. I also boiled some eggs to have for quick breakfasts this coming week. Those paired with home-made yogurt with fruit, and the muffins makes a nice variety for breakfasts. I cooked the corned beef yesterday and used a ½ head of cabbage along with the rest of the baby carrots. We will use the left-over corned beef later in the week to make Reuben Sandwiches. I have white beans soaking to use put in the crockpot to use is soup for dinner tomorrow and lunches later in the week along with salad. I used two of the mini-turkey meatloaves from the freezer along with some green beans and made mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner- will have the last turkey loaf along with green beans and mashed potatoes with gravy for lunch tomorrow. RM is not working, so he will have cereal for breakfast to use up some of the almond milk that needs using and the left-over barbecue chicken and fruit for lunch tomorrow.

My electric bill continues to be lower due to the lower than usual temperatures here in Florida this month, so that helps with saving money too.
Momof2 good for you making do with your food stock at home. It can be hard at times I know... Good creative work with the cranberries and orange marmalade muffins. Keep up the good work.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am into being very frugal with my corned beef. I bought it at Save-a-Lot when they had a $5.00 off coupon so it only cost me $4.44. I have had it for several meals sliced with potatoes and cabbage on the side. I only used 1/4 head of cabbage and two red potatoes. Now I wish I had cooked more cabbage and potatoes they taste so good after being cooked in the corned beef broth. I was slicing the corned beef last night and realized there was lot of fat in the meat depending on which area you are in. So I was slicing and trimming the fat and chopping the meat in to sections ie sandwiches and then corned beef hash. I realized there was still some tiny bits of meat clinging to the fat and then thought what a waste all of the fat was going to be..I went on line to see if the fat was salvageable and it is . You have to put it in a pan and cover it with water and let it simmer until the water evaporates. The little bits of meat can be used in salads like bacon bits. The fat can then be stored in the fridge and used to saute veggies. I also thought the meat bits and fat could be used to season a nice pot of green beans, potatoes, and onions. I could kick myself now but did not realize I could have stained the corned beef broth to make soup or to save it to cook veggies..It is a bit salty but used sparing adds flavor. I know eating a lot of fats is not healthy but if you space things out you can enjoy the occasional fat as a treat. Even the American Diabetic Assoc states you can use 2 teaspoons of bacon fat for seasoning. I was going to make a couple of Ruben sandwiches this week but found a recipe for a Ruben casserole..If I make the casserole it will stretch the corned beef even further instead of consuming a couple of sandwiches I will have more servings due to leftovers and will use less of the corned beef. I am going to freeze some of the corned beef for meals later on.
Janet Alliesmama
ephofma

Post by ephofma »

Thank you Janet Alliesmama for the kind words.
RedRobin

Post by RedRobin »

I have hesitated to continue reporting on this challenge since I think my (fortunate) circumstances are s little different. The only shopping I do, by myself, is for milk. When DH is positive there is nothing to eat (junk and processed food) he goes himself or asks me to take hm. Same for alcohol. So, his spending is the bulk of our spending. He also goes for the occasional lottery ticket. Then, of course, is his medications and doctor. I pay for our insurance through work. Besides milk, my only voluntary expenditure is gas, since I need to get to and from work.

My fortunate circumstance is that I get plenty of food at work. Enough to bring home with. Actually no need to buy anything. Often. It is very lovely food too. There's coffee, milk, soda water daily, bagels butter and cream cheese once a week with enough to last for days and big lunches once a week. There is also birthday and meeting opportunities for food.

My hobby is crocheting and I have been fortunate enough yo have received yarn from various places over the years, o am using it up. While I could say I m a yarnaholic I have managed to stay out of the yarn stores.

I don't buy clothes and my last pajama/underwear purchase was from Wal-Mart, over a year ago, using a free gift card.

So. This is y I hesitate. I am participating in the no spend challenge but I believe it is easier for me.

I admire everyone's hard work and am inspired.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I think your posts provide inspiration to many of us, Redrobin. Please continue to post.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, I was just wondering how I could save the fat juice off the corned beef. Thanks for the inspiration.