Just an update

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
NoisyPorkchop

Just an update

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and give an update on my FIL. He got all settled in at the hospital up north of us and after a few hours his vital signs slowly started to improve, but his oxygen levels were all over the map due to the pneumonia. The doctor taking care of him met with him and the family and said my FIL is struggling with his breathing and this alone is going to take it's toll on his health. He strongly suggested to put my FIL in a propofol-induced coma (propofol is a paralytic) and put him on a ventilator and let the ventilator do the breathing for him and let his body get a chance to heal while they pump him full of antibiotics and fluids. My FIL was not happy with the idea and started to put up a fuss about the idea and the doctor gently but bluntly told him, "Well, you have a choice. You can die either today or tomorrow because you will wear yourself out struggling to breathe, or we can put you on a ventilator for a few days and give your body to rest and heal. It is your choice, Mr. Kelley." My FIL decided to give the ventilator a shot. The doc wanted to put him on it for 5 days but FIL said no, just 3 days. His attitude was that he already had a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order in his chart and he is 85 years old so he didn't want to make some big dramatic attempt at keeping himself going if it wasn't meant to be, but didn't want to toss in the towel so easily. So that was yesterday afternoon.
Hubby drove up to the hospital after work today to check in on him. He spoke with his Dad's doctor who told him he is actually doing better; his kidneys are putting out urine and labs show his internal organs are slowly coming back online. Yay! The doctor told DH that if he keeps improving there may be a chance that he could be taken off the ventilator maybe tomorrow. He won't be out of the woods yet because FIL still will have to breathe on his own without struggling so much and it may still be touch and go to see how he does once he wakes up but at least he was given the chance to get some rest and let his body come back online. I am grateful that my FIL decided to give the ventilator a shot. I was worried he'd be ready to be done and over with it since losing his wife not even a year ago. I just remember my MIL being so miserable all she did was tell people how she wanted to just be left alone so she could die and go be with Vicky and Linda (my husband's sisters who are deceased). I was hoping this wasn't going to be another repeat of last year. I am glad because my Hubby was just beside himself at the thought of losing his Dad.
So, that is the latest information. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers, they appear to be working! I will keep you all in the loop. Take care, Porkchop.
mbrudnic

Re: Just an update

Post by mbrudnic »

I am pulling for your family.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Keeping on with my prayers for your family.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Pork chop thanks for the update. I will keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Porkchop, the news sounds encouraging. I’ll keep your FIL as well as you and your DH in my prayers.
AnneX

Post by AnneX »

Porkchop

I was thinking of you and your family. Thank you for letting us know how things are going.

i hope the improvement continues.

AnneX