Daily Check in April 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in April 17, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

My post disappeared!! Just getting ready to hit submit.

I had a restless sleep last night and so arose a bit later than usual this morning. Not so much because of my wrist and arm, more because of the never ending howling of the wind. This wind is bringing us in another storm from what looks like Montana and Idaho. As we get ready to face the next storm I am wondering if this winter will ever end.

Frugally speaking I am not sure what this day holds as regards to spending. I need to take a small drive to drop of some information on prayer shawls at a house a few blocks away (I would walk but as said before the wind is howling) and as we are almost out of milk I am tempted to buy a small container to see us through until shopping day. That is something I never do, but as I am trying to up my calcium intake and I love milk, don't want to run out of (I also need some for baking).

Baking, stock making, sewing and knitting will occur today. However I better get a move on if any of this is going to happen.

The chore list is relatively short for a Tuesday so I should be done quickly enough to get a chance to do the fun things before we lose the sunshine.

Supper today is going to be spaghetti and meat sauce, served with garlic bread.

Today I am grateful that we are having a respite of sunshine (dang wind though) before the storm.

I will check in again later. Just want to get this posted before it too goes pouf.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon ... Cold and dreary here.
On lunch right now. DH began training on the new job. He seemed pretty upbeat.
We do need to get dinners sorted so we stay away from eating out too much.
Anyway, back to work ...
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Hi Everyone,

Got back in from my trip on Friday and have been trying to get caught back up. Had a wonderful time and loved the train ride and our time in New York. We were on the the 33rd Floor of Holiday Inn and had a beautiful view of the city. Saw "Beautiful" the Carol King story and it was fabulous. I had forgotten how many songs she had written. It was a well-done show and the artists that impersonated the Shirelles, Little Eva, The Drifters, Neil Sedaka, and the Righteous Brothers were fabulous. Chilina Kennedy who played the role of Carol looked like her and sounded like her, great job.

The train ride was an experience. I am glad we did it, but sleeping on a train isn't my mode of travel. The Roomette were so small, would have been fine for one person, but not two. The food was fabulous on the train, but our train from New Orleans into Birmingham was 2.5 hours late and we were about the same amount of time late coming back. Amtrak doesn't own most of the tracks and if they have to pull over onto a side rail to let a CSX or Southern Norfolk train pass several times it doesn't take to long to be behind schedule. It happens mostly in the Atlanta area. I think the fastest we ever went was about 110. I was hoping for more speed. LOL

I am so glad to be back home though and to not be going anywhere for a few weeks. Mr. B is coming to spend a few days on the 26th with me and I'm looking forward to that.

It looks like everyone did pretty good while I was gone, so sorry that Shelia has been having such a time with the knee. I had another friend fall and break her arm while I was gone, but she is through surgery and on the road to recovery. Getting old is the pits when you start falling.

I have a full day of chores planned, so I best get going to complete them. Everyone have a beautiful day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

littlemiss63 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm Hi Everyone,

Got back in from my trip on Friday and have been trying to get caught back up. Had a wonderful time and loved the train ride and our time in New York. We were on the the 33rd Floor of Holiday Inn and had a beautiful view of the city. Saw "Beautiful" the Carol King story and it was fabulous. I had forgotten how many songs she had written. It was a well-done show and the artists that impersonated the Shirelles, Little Eva, The Drifters, Neil Sedaka, and the Righteous Brothers were fabulous. Chilina Kennedy who played the role of Carol looked like her and sounded like her, great job.

The train ride was an experience. I am glad we did it, but sleeping on a train isn't my mode of travel. The Roomette were so small, would have been fine for one person, but not two. The food was fabulous on the train, but our train from New Orleans into Birmingham was 2.5 hours late and we were about the same amount of time late coming back. Amtrak doesn't own most of the tracks and if they have to pull over onto a side rail to let a CSX or Southern Norfolk train pass several times it doesn't take to long to be behind schedule. It happens mostly in the Atlanta area. I think the fastest we ever went was about 110. I was hoping for more speed. LOL

I am so glad to be back home though and to not be going anywhere for a few weeks. Mr. B is coming to spend a few days on the 26th with me and I'm looking forward to that.

It looks like everyone did pretty good while I was gone, so sorry that Shelia has been having such a time with the knee. I had another friend fall and break her arm while I was gone, but she is through surgery and on the road to recovery. Getting old is the pits when you start falling.

I have a full day of chores planned, so I best get going to complete them. Everyone have a beautiful day.
LittleMiss, I'm glad that you had a fun trip.

Interesting about the train. I recently looked into taking the train from Florida to Providence. I would still like to do it sometime. The train no longer comes to the TampaBay area. You have to take a bus to Orlando and catch the train there.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm Hi Everyone,

OOOOOOOOO :x 8-) the train trip sounds so exciting!!! was it very expensive, compared to driving (LOL) or flying. It sounds like something that I would like to do.

was it expensive to sleep on the train, was the food expensive?

IC
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

It is a gorgeous day here.

I stopped at the bank and Publix before heading to mom's house. Today I worked on going through the stuff on the shelves in one of mom's closets. I found Christmas bags/wrapping, two bins of fabric and lots of old tax returns.

My big excitement was when I was going to the recycle bin I saw a snake in the garage. It was black, about 12 inches and I knew it wasn't dangerous. But still I don't like snakes. I went to get a neighbor but no one was home. So I did what mom would have done, deal with it myself. I used the mop handle to push it out the door, onto the grass and as far away from the house as possible. Of course later when I saw the neighbor across the street I had to tell him since I was proud I had handled it myself. Years ago, mom saw a snake in the garage and made the mistake of spraying it with bug spray. It died behind the workbench and smelled for a long time. Mom often said that was a big, big mistake so I knew not to do that.

I have found a new show on Netflix, only four episodes. Collateral is a Netflix/BBC2 show about the killing of a pizza delivery guy in London that has political implications. I'll watch the second episode tonight.

Enjoy your evening.