Daily Check in May 8, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check in May 8, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Starting us off. Getting coffee, back asap.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in May 8, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up pretty early today, but that is okay as I have a great deal to accomplish this fine day.

We are supposed to get rain today at some point (I really hope so as things are so dry I can't even pull weeds out of the garden) and if we do as soon as it lets up I am going to be out and weeding a bit. Probably get Hubby out dividing plants as well. I really don't know how something so small as my perennial garden can produce so darn many weeds. I also need to clean up the strawberries at one point.

My one meeting yesterday lead to another on Wednesday. I guess the Anglican priest now wishes to meet me so I get to see her for a bit on Wednesday afternoon.

Frugally speaking I plan on having another no spend day. Those seem to be mounting up, which is a good thing as plant buying time is here now. Money will be spent at a furious rate (or at least what seems like a furious rate) from this week until I get the yard looking the way I want.

I plan on taking my daily walk or two today, getting the household chores completed ASAP so that I can mop the floors in the basement and perhaps start laying out my three (or is it 4) year old quilting project. Once I get that sandwiched I will be able to start quilting it. Probably very slowly considering my arm swells up when I use it too much.

Then of course all meals will be made here at home with what I have on hand. I plan on going shopping Thursday to get some fruit and veg as well as pet supplies for Shania and Eiko (the grandcat). Almost but not quite out of litter and some food is always necessary.

I am going to put out my seedlings if there is no wind today, and start to set up part of the deck. Hubby has a load of items to take to the dump and since some of those items were things that no longer worked we have managed a bit more on the decluttering front. Most of these items were cluttering up the deck so getting them gone is a big bonus.

Supper tonight is going to be the leftovers from Sunday night. No really cooking, just warming things up.

Today I am grateful for the wonderful sleep I had last night.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Up with the alarm, slept like a brick :) I put in a full day yesterday and was truly worn out.
Supper tonight will be pork roast, mashed potatoes/gravy. The creamed peas I forgot last night and a veg. Watermelon on the side.
Planted dads tomatoes last night and watered them twice, we need rain. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, hope it is a calm, steady soaker, we do not need high winds.
Chickens are out, fed and watered, have given the newly potted bedding plants a drink of manure tea and everything is looking pretty good.
I need to work in the garage but not feeling it. :? Maybe tomorrow if it rains.

I dug up some maple seedlings from the flowerbeds yesterday, have them soaking in the manure tea, I am going to try planting them in the front acre. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. :o
Need to tidy the house, run the floor duster and will call it good.
Like Jackie, I have weeds in the flowerbeds but can't pull them until we get some good rain.
Off to get busy and hopefully be productive.
Have a great, safe and appreciative day all,
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I used to love to weed, but that is another thing I have scratched off my must do list!

Fortunately my veggie beds are weed free! I just dump a big bag of potting soil in each bed before I plant for the season. Maybe that keeps the weeds away? Some of the beds I didn't even remove the grass before I started them. It was an experiment and it turned out well.

I have already harvested cucumbers and my cherry tomatoes will be ready to eat this week.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Seems we all have spring planting on our minds. I am going to have my aide take me in to town to buying my veggie plants and seeds.. I too have a lot of weeds in the front landscaping area.. They are so hard to keep down despite being removed over and over again and putting down 5 layers of weed barrier and rocks. I will not use any kind of weed killer due to the danger. We are expecting a nice day today but with a chance of severe storms tomorrow so will not plant anything until later in the week but at least they will be here and ready to go when the time is right.

Yesterday I checked my peach trees again and they are starting to produce tiny little peaches. I am checking in to getting an alarm system for my driveway.. Two years in a row I have had someone come in at night while I am sleeping and they stripped my trees.. It really makes me mad and it has to stop.

Have a good and frugal day.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Day 5 of this sinus issue. It all started on Friday.

I still can't talk. I can but don't want to strain my voice. Still have congestion and cough.

I had stopped taking my Flonase to see if that was causing my itchiness. I'd get welts when I scratched. It was awful. No Flonase, left me vulnerable to what the wind brought in on Friday. I hadn't had sinus issues in a while. But I've been taking baby Benadryl every night and no itching. What a relief. Do people end up taking Benadryl forever? I'll have to ask my doctor. Just not being all itchy has made this sinus thing tolerable. Before I would take to my bed and just whine. Now i'm up and out all day.

Speaking of that - I feel like I am working again. This volunteering thing is like a regular JOB! We are "off" today so I will go get my hair cut and face waxed. Nothing like talking to another lady with very noticeable facial hair that made me want to run to the salon. Could that be me in a few years?? :o

Have a great day