Daily Check in May 16, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in May 16, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning Frugal Friends,

Well, DS2 just headed out for High school for the last time. He does not have to show up for an exam tomorrow. He reluctantly allowed me to take a picture. He was complaining about sleeping poorly, but he can come home and take a nap. He is open until band rehearsal at 6 PM.

It is a work from home day for me. I am drinking my coffee from home. I pushed myself to walk last night and got my 10,000+ steps in. That is 3 days in a row.

I ended up taping my indoor antenna to my sliding glass door to get my favorite station in. So that makes me happy.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in May 16, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

My walking pal, my neighbor, commented yesterday that when I was busy, she didn't walk. Congrats on pushing yourself.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good wet Wednesday morning all,

Yesterday morning, my neighbor and I were able to get in a walk. The morning was hot and sticky. It was not pleasant. But we both are dependent on the walks as an aid to weight management. Right now, it is raining, but maybe it will clear later.

Today, I hope to get hubs out for a walk. I raked a path along the unfinished driveway and I think it is flat enough for him. We will see whether the rain lets up. The apple cider vinegar, recommended by my neighbor did seem to keep him pain free during his medication free holiday, but he still became weak. He is back on medication day 3 and says he is ready to walk.

We dropped into summer over the weekend and I continued to work outside as if it were spring. So I began to get a mildly upset stomach. Two days ago, I realized I need to start my summer salt tablets. I started at 2 a day, but I am slowly increasing them.

All the rain has killed my tomato plants. :( I picked a few that were turning, to hopefully ripen inside. Others in my FB garden group are saying the same thing.

My neighbor likes to walk early, so I need to get hubs breakfast done. I don't have time to eat, so I generally grab some almonds to tide me over. We walk for an hour, probably about 2 miles.This morning I am grateful for my good health. Have a good day everyone. Stay healthy and safe and dry. ;)
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

It's not raining currently but is expected to start sometime around Noon and continue throughout the rest of the day.

They've started to put up the "siding" portion of the work on our apartment complex, but the color is awful. There are two colors you never want to mix and that is white and a yellowish green . . . yuk. It clashes with the "red brick". Oh well, unfortunately we're stuck with it and I can't do anything about it. Just very happy that I don't have to look at it in my apartment.

Have been sitting here this morning looking at bus tours. Since I went away in December, I feel like I'd like to do something this year since I won't be going back to Florida until sometime next year. Have been looking at some of the trips planned by one of the seniors organizations in town as well as some one day bus trips. Being I have no one to travel with, I have to stick to one day trips as a 4 or 5 day single could run as high as $1500 which is what I spent pretty much on my 16 days in Florida.

Have to set a date for going to the wax museum. My friend will be over here on Friday so she and I can see if we can come up with a date that is workable for both. Actually, I'm terrified of the thought of going into NY, but the museum is close by Grand Central so it shouldn't be too bad.

I will hold off on redoing my kitchen . . . I'm not in much of a hurry there. I got rid of a lot of things when I was letting go of my mom's stuff and have since purchased some organizer racks making it easier for me to get things in and out of both my dish and pot cabinets. So no real rush right now.

Well think I will go check on the museum prices and train fare so I can give her a cost when she comes over. Have a nice day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up early as I wish to get a bit of work done before heading to the hospital for PT and seeing the doctor. I hope this is/can be the last time I see him as every time I go lately I need to get x-rays. I really am leery of what this repeated exposure might do. Oh well, keep your fingers crossed that it is the last time I need to see Doctor M.

It was extremely hot yesterday and by the time I finished planting in the afternoon (I only did 12 planters in total) I was hot and couldn't be bothered cooking. I quickly put together cold plates for us. The stir fry will be made tomorrow when we are supposed to start our rain.

Still have a few pots to complete and I am hoping to get those done at some point today, before our rains start. Hubby has the garden in and now we hope to get lots of rain once it starts. We are extremely dry here this year and without rain things are going to be tough for farmers and gardeners alike.

I may have convinced Hubby to do a gravel landscape in the front. We just can not seem to grow a decent front lawn and this could be the way to go. Every year it seems to get worse, we do face south and the sun just beats down unmercifully.

My sister sent a text last evening asking if I want to go to lunch with her so I said yes. It isn't often that the two of us can get together and spend some quality time with each other. We get along much better now than when we were kids growing up and sharing a room. Of course this is the morning with the Doctor who is always behind, but my appointment is 9:30 so hopefully I will be done (the Doc is always running late).

Frugally speaking I will be making a grocery list today (of course I will stick with it as the stock up has really filled in a few gaps), using up leftovers, working those plants for exercise, and perhaps getting a few episodes of old Murder, She Wrote in as well.

Strictly speaking I am trying very hard to have no spend days and while things seem to be working out for the most part, this week is terrible. I will have to try harder next week. It is close to the end of the month and I really doubt I will make my no spend or declutter goals.

Supper this evening is going to be the leftover meatloaf. I will serve it with the leftover salads from last night.

Today I am grateful that the orthopedist comes here instead of me having to travel all the way to the capital to see him.

Everybody have a great day.

Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Maggie, you raised two good boys. Pat yourself on the back.

Mackie, the job sounds good. Hope you get the offer soon. For your current workplace to consider not paying staff - OMG.

It looks dreary outside and storms are expected by 11 a.m. Hot and muggy.

Yesterday I was happy with what I accomplished here, mostly paper shredding from mom's house (old bank statements and checks) and cleaning. I cleaned my car trunk and finally dropped off books to donate at the other library since my small library no longer takes them, at least for now. I ordered 12 a/c filters from Amazon exactly like the ones I bought for mom's house and they arrived yesterday. My a/c filter is in a very awkward place on the ceiling at the top of the stairs. Mom always worried but I'm not worried about falling, just getting the darn grate cover closed.

I have some nicer glassware and small dishes to donate to the Christian school thrift store on the way home from mom's house. I'll do that tomorrow. When things are less cluttered it feels so good.

Like Logics I want to go on some day trips this summer and I've made a list. These will be on my own or with a friend. For some I'll play tourist in my own area and others are up to 100 miles away. Most are free or not too, too expensive except for gas. I hope to do two a month for June, July and August.

Tomorrow morning I'll meet the pet sitter. We've only spoken on the phone. Hope it goes well.

Whether I go to mom's house today will depend on the weather.

Enjoy your day.