Projects for 2018

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Projects for 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

I forgot to add new windows all around the house in place of just the one picture window.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Newly revised professional projects for 2018 May update

Thanks to inheritance I will be able to get more done, but by professionals, Here is my professional list:

1) a new driveway. Replace the shell with turfstone-done

2) repair wood on porch-waiting on dry weather to finish

3) paint house and repair stucco.-waiting on porch repairs

4) new impact resistant windows all around plus picture window-ordered. Deliver Aug

5) new kitchen floor matching rest of house-waiting.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 am We just have one main project for the year and that is getting the basement vented for heat and finished so we can use it again. I may have convinced Hubby that we should talk to another plumbing and heating company. I am so tired of waiting for this to be completed.

If that project actually gets done in a decent time frame, I have a feeling Hubby will want to build a garage out back.

The little projects are:

Work on decluttering (this has been going on for three years now and each year a bit more leaves my house).

Post some of my hand work on the city site and see if it sells.

Post a few items on the garage sale sites for the city. If the items don't sell take them to the Salvation Army or Second Chance thrift stores.

Of course this list will be added to over the course of the year, cause that is just how things roll here.
Well we did get the basement pretty much finished, the little things like the hallway and staircase will wait until next winter. The rooms are useable and I am slowly getting my basement back.

I posted my handmade items on our city site and not one bite. So either I just make things for myself or give them away as gifts. I may try a one of a kind type thing and put taking orders once the wrist heals a bit more.

Decluttering is slowly moving on. I hope to reach 500 items, but things are moving very slowly. As I said this is the third year I have been decluttering and things have slowed down considerably on this front.

Posted a few items on the garage sale sites and have managed to sell a few. I hope to do a bit more of this as decluttering continues.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 am We just have one main project for the year and that is getting the basement vented for heat and finished so we can use it again. I may have convinced Hubby that we should talk to another plumbing and heating company. I am so tired of waiting for this to be completed.

If that project actually gets done in a decent time frame, I have a feeling Hubby will want to build a garage out back.

The little projects are:

Work on decluttering (this has been going on for three years now and each year a bit more leaves my house).

Post some of my hand work on the city site and see if it sells.

Post a few items on the garage sale sites for the city. If the items don't sell take them to the Salvation Army or Second Chance thrift stores.

Of course this list will be added to over the course of the year, cause that is just how things roll here.
Now time to update.

New door needs to be put in.

Sliding windows (already purchased at a deep discount) need to be put into the basement windows.

Hubby has a plan to do something to direct the water away from the house under the deck and wants to get this done sometime this summer.

Building a bar and shelving in the basement man cave (more a winter occupation).

Probably more will be added once again.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

It is great that you were able to get the window at a discount. We paid or will pay full price and of course, professional installation for ours. I didn't have the bathroom windows or the converted garage window replaced. I saved a bit there. The bathroom windows are small and I will be redesigning the bathrooms next year and the windows may go. Here if you have bathroom fans, you are not required to have windows. I have fans. The converted garage window is easy to plywood up for a hurricane and that room is separated from the main house by the laundry room and 2 doors. Insulation is not needed. Saved a little money that way.

Interesting you mentioned a bar. Besides the redesigned bathrooms, I want an "outside" kitchen. I plan to cook and eat on the porch most of the warm weather, which here is most of the year. But those are next year projects.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

One of our major projects for year 2018 is sorting and donating our books. A zillion of them!!! I mentioned that we have donated seven boxes of paperback books and some hardbounds. Now Hubby's car's trunk is filled with more boxes of books - YAY!!! When we can, we'll take them to the library to donate. That means we're nearly finished with that chore! Wow - what a tremendous amount of work.

Next on the to-do list is to work on our walk-in closet. Sort and donate is the name of the game!!! I sorted all of our clothes before we built this house and, then after we actually moved in, I found that I had kept way too many items that I'll never wear. AND items that I have not worn in the 14 years that we've been here!!! So NOW is the time to be ruthless!!! I'll keep you posted on how that goes. Hubby will be traveling for work this coming week so I can get in there and work without being interrupted.

I'm really beginning to see major progress on my to-do list - a change of pace for me as in the past, I never got this far... Three cheers for me!!! Bye for now.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17