Money wise...things that I need to remember

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Money wise...things that I need to remember

Post by icfrugal1 »

colonialgirl wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:57 pm Sorry to hear you have all joined my club. We are getting hammered with expenses. Had a big plumbing bill, owed income tax, recliner mechanism broke and had to replace the chair, property taxes are due, hubs dropped a hearing aid at the golf course and it was ran over by a golf cart, so now they have to be replaced. All told it came to around $14k of unexpected & expected expenses and then our friends called and said we are going to take another cruise - this one to Hawaii in January. Timing.

I realize of course that we don't have to go on the cruise - but I am starting to wonder how many more vacations we will have together at our age. And I guess we could not get a chair or replace the hearing aids, but I sit in the chair every day and to my way of thinking hubs has to hear. I just hate to take money out of savings but when this many things hit us at once, I don't have a choice. I am grateful to be frugal that we have $ to cover, but gee whiz.

I just always try and cut back and pay unexpected bills out of our income but too much hitting at once to do that. I tell you, I could be a happy rich person, I truly could.

PS - I LOVE the rolling pins!
My DH has worn hearing aids since his early 30's, he is 68 now, I put money away every month in our spending plan for his hearing aids, there is $3,000 in the account now, DH wants to use that money for the new (used) car that he wants!!!

He used to have in the ear, but since he retired he uses the behind the ear, better hearing batteries last a lot longer. For $3,000 he should be able to get 2 new aids.

IC
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

IC - hubs was quoted $4k for 2 hearing aids. He is going to the one behind the ear at the recommendation of the tech. Said they work much better. Ah well, money is to spend I guess. : (
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Money is to help us live with joy!!! 8-)

we used to pay about $3,000 each!!!

IC
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I agree. Just wish the insurance paid more than $600 - but grateful to have that.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Oooh why'd you have to tell me the website :D
ohjodi wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 am
delighted99 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm I can relate! I feel like buying jewelry these days. Nothing expensive but just better than what I've been wearing.
Stay away from JTV.com, then, LOL I bought a really pretty chrome diopside ring for myself for Christmas.... five monthly payments of $8 so I didn't hurt at all, lol
https://www.jtv.com/jewelry/1.60ctw-pea ... 39164.html
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

delighted99 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm Oooh why'd you have to tell me the website :D
LOL I'm a pusher! I love the ring I bought....it looks better than the picture. I'm very impressed with the quality and finish of the setting. Usually inexpensive rings have rough edges within the setting, and/or the setting is too heavy or chunky for the smaller size of the stone.

The green chrome diopside is pretty amazing....I'd never seen one in real life, before. It has rich green flashes indoors, but in natural light the stone looks a more opaque bright green olive. I don't know how to describe it lol.

Anyway, it makes me happy, and it was really cheap.
ohjodi