Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 I love reading how you are using up various food items.. My Ginger Bunny was a bit feisty so she had to go to the vet's for her bath.. It was costly $15.00 for the bath and $29.00 for the anesthetic..lol. The vet said they called her the attack rabbit.. He said most rabbits will swat at you but Ginger went for the jugular vein..lol. At home she was congenial but at the vet's forget it..

I need to go grocery shopping for fresh veggies and meat. Teddi has decided he does not want to eat the fresh pet food from Petco so will be cooking his food for a while. Then retry the Petco food. I have earned $ 5.00 in points with previous purchases so will not be as expensive when I do buy something. I guess like people he likes a menu change. Right now he is eating chicken and rice or scrambled egg and rice. Sometimes he is off of the egg and rice. Will try to alternate chicken with ground beef and rice with some green beans..The month of June I am going to try to limit food spending except for the barest of necessary food. I am out of meat except for some canned chicken.. Also need fresh veggies ie cabbage, lettuce, and dairy. Right now I am drinking coffee without milk.. I have gone from cream or half and half in my coffee to whole milk and now black.. I am enjoying the black coffee for now and saving some money but it is not that much in the grand scheme of things and really not why I am drinking it black. It is just a change in taste. Hopefully will save a few dollars towards home repairs but I need a lot more than what I can squeeze out of the food budget..
I did go over my month of May budget and spending and came in under budget in all areas where it was flexible.The one exception was going over the food budget to take advantage of sales.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I fell off the wagon... stopped keeping track in May. Now I'm hoping to get back on the no-spend train. :D

I'm hoping for 15 no-spend days in June. Thus far, I spent on June 1st (yesterday), and haven't spent yet, but the day is young yet. :lol:

Spend: 1
No-spend: 0
Wanting 15 no-spend days in June
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:44 pm I fell off the wagon... stopped keeping track in May. Now I'm hoping to get back on the no-spend train. :D

I'm hoping for 15 no-spend days in June. Thus far, I spent on June 1st (yesterday), and haven't spent yet, but the day is young yet. :lol:

Spend: 1
No-spend: 0
Wanting 15 no-spend days in June
Gayle with all you have to do I do not know how you manage as well as you do.. Do not be upset if you fall of the track... You are always treading water and still manage to keep you hear about water. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Still using up food in house. RM and I have been using up the left-overs the last couple of days. I did make him pizza last night, so there is still half of that left, a couple of cupcakes, and the sautéed squash left from tonight. I am determined not to add to the freezer any more left-overs until closer to the new school year, not to mention there is not any space to add things. I did use the last two chicken breasts from the kitchen freezer for dinner tonight so that freed up a little space.

I plan on picking up a watermelon, fresh veggies and salad things from Aldi’s tomorrow and a rotisserie chicken from Publix. I feel like a roast chicken dinner (and I have potatoes that need using), but it gets so very warm in the house around 5:00 that I do not want to heat it up any more than it goes without having the oven on for a long time. Plus, Publix has them on sale for $5.99. RM and I will get dinner two nights from it, and I will make chicken salad for lunch and then the bones will become the base of a small soup. I did not spend any money on groceries last weekend or through the week, so still have that budget amount plus this week’s budgeted amount.

I have made up my menu for the upcoming week and will not need anything other what is listed above.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof 2.. I plan on buying a rotisserie chicken this week as well. I still have $3.00 left from survey money so it it will only cost $3.00 for the chicken and I can eat all week on it as well as freeze the bones and scraps to make soup.

I am trying to eat up all of the odds and ends in my freezer to stretch things as well as make room for new foods down the road. I have a bag of frozen broccoli thawing and will make a quiche that will last for many days.I love quiche! It is easy and healthy. I can enjoy it for all meals and feel satisfied.

I need tomato cages for my deck garden and thought to ask my brother if he still has some in his barn. He does and he is going to bring them to me the next time he goes to his farm. He no longer lives there but still has a ton of things to sort through before he puts the farm up for sale.. Anyway glad I thought to ask and will save a considerable amount of money not having to buy them. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:21 am Momof 2.. I plan on buying a rotisserie chicken this week as well. I still have $3.00 left from survey money so it it will only cost $3.00 for the chicken and I can eat all week on it as well as freeze the bones and scraps to make soup.

I am trying to eat up all of the odds and ends in my freezer to stretch things as well as make room for new foods down the road. I have a bag of frozen broccoli thawing and will make a quiche that will last for many days.I love quiche! It is easy and healthy. I can enjoy it for all meals and feel satisfied.

I need tomato cages for my deck garden and thought to ask my brother if he still has some in his barn. He does and he is going to bring them to me the next time he goes to his farm. He no longer lives there but still has a ton of things to sort through before he puts the farm up for sale.. Anyway glad I thought to ask and will save a considerable amount of money not having to buy them. Janet Alliesmama
Addendum: Went grocery shopping and got some great bargains.. I debated on whether or not to buy gluten free bread at 3.99 a loaf and decided yes since I want to make BLT's.. When I got home found out it was a 1.99 mark down..I also bought two pints of organic cherry tomatoes marked down from 3.99 to 1.19 each.. Did not see anything wrong with either box.. Also stocked up on some of my favorite cheese on sale.. Need to shop at one more store on Tuesday and I should be caught up on necessary food. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama