Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
ephofma

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by ephofma »

I'm afraid I must end May not meeting my goal. I was only shooting for 2 no spend days and I only managed 1. Hopefully, I will do better next month.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ephofma wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:44 pm I'm afraid I must end May not meeting my goal. I was only shooting for 2 no spend days and I only managed 1. Hopefully, I will do better next month.
Good luck in June. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, you got some really great deals. I used up several meals from my freezer near the end of the school year because some had been in the freezer for a while, and want to use up the rest within the next few weeks in order to put fresh in there for next school year.

RM and I stopped at two different grocery stores on the way home. We spent $22.00 at Aldi’s and $12.00 at Publix. We picked up two rotisserie chickens from Publix and from Aldi we got 2 watermelons (I love watermelon), 4 ears of corn, 1 bag of carrots (rabbits get most of this), a large pkg. of spring mix lettuce (RM and I will have some for salads, but rabbits get about ¾ to 1 cup each night), 1 pkg. grapes; 1 pkg. of zucchini, 1 pkg. of yellow squash, 1 pkg. vine-ripened tomatoes (4 count), 2 avocados (have a partial pkg. of tortilla chips that need using) and a 12-count pkg. of Arizona tea (RM’s favorite).

Tonight we had a part of one of the chickens for dinner. Trying to decide if I want to try to find room in the freezer for the second one, or use throughout the week for lunches. I may take the meat off the bones and freeze the dark meat, make broth out of the bones from both chickens, and use the white meat in salads.

With the chicken, we had mashed potatoes (used up the last of the potatoes in the older bag, and some of the milk I mixed up earlier in the week), green beans (from the pantry), a couple of cornbread muffins (only one left over now), and some gravy. Had some of everything left over, so another meal later in the week. I am going to make lasagna tomorrow using up the meat mixture from earlier in the week (I put it in the freezer to keep it longer, but did not pkg. it well enough for long-term storage). I will also make a loaf of Italian bread to use to make garlic bread for dinner tomorrow night.
ephofma

Post by ephofma »

Thank you Janet!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Am reposting from my Journal...
------------------------------------------
June so far is not a good month for me, too much spending already. :shock:

I spent on June 1st, June 4th, and I need to go buy groceries today. :( At least I have 2 no-spend days, and I'm hoping for 0 spending for next 2-3 days as well. Saturday will be different, as I have a family reunion out of town that day, and will buy gasoline that morning. Then 0 spending again on Sunday.

Spend Days: 3
No Spend Days: 2
I want 15 no-spend days again.
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Making the most of my pantry challenge. Using up a lot of items from the fridge that really need using, and have lots of left-overs making things stretch even more.

Monday, I used some of the left-over rotisserie chicken in a salad along with some blueberries, cucumber, tomato, and walnuts over a bed of spring greens. Used some more of the lite salad dressing that I am not overly fond of, but can tolerate. For dinner, I used up the rest of a container of cottage cheese and a partial pkg. of lasagna noodles to make lasagna. I pulled the meat/TVP mixture from the freezer that I made last week and added a partial red onion, garlic, some canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spices to make a medium crock-pot full of sauce. I used that in the lasagna and put the rest in the fridge. I found a jar of applesauce approaching the use by date when I organized the kitchen, so had that as the side since RM and I had a large salad for lunch. Toasted up a couple of hot dog buns to make garlic “breadsticks.” I transferred my milk to several containers (put three smaller ones in the freezer) and made pudding out of some of what I left in the fridge- it is approaching the use-by date.

On Tuesday, I used an eggplant that has been in the fridge for a while and some of the left-over pasta sauce to make Eggplant Parmesan. Used more of the salad greens, the rest of a cucumber, the partial tomato left-over from Monday to make a simple salad. I also used more of the hot dog buns to make “breadsticks.” I also used the remaining milk in the fridge to make a cream gravy that I will add sausage to and have later.

Yesterday I did not feel so great, so RM had a bowl of cereal for lunch. I made myself a sandwich for lunch. For dinner, we had some of the left-over rotisserie chicken, the mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and zucchini squash. Also put out some of the watermelon.

This morning, I warmed up pancakes from the freezer and topped those with some fresh blueberries (will need to use those within the next couple of days or freeze them). Had some scrambled eggs on the side and warmed up a little of the cream gravy to have over the eggs. For lunch, I am making a Cranberry Chicken Salad with Sliced Almonds using more of the left-over rotisserie chicken. Will have some of the watermelon and grapes on the side. Dinner will be either leftover lasagna or eggplant, the rest of the hot dog buns make into garlic “breadsticks” and either some of the applesauce or a side salad. I cooked up some mushrooms from the fridge in a garlic butter and will put those in the freezer for next week. I will debone the rest of the chicken when I make the chicken salad and place most of the meat in the freezer and use the bones to make a stock. I am keeping up with using things for the most part (did toss out about ¼ pkg. of strawberries), but feel over-run with left-overs. At least I can freeze them if necessary. Still have a couple of pieces of eggplant that I did not use Tuesday and also a little of the pasta sauce still. Guess those will go into the freezer for later too. Sticking to my pantry challenge should not be a problem considering how many left-overs we have from this week.