Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:06 pm Making the most of my pantry challenge. Using up a lot of items from the fridge that really need using, and have lots of left-overs making things stretch even more.

Monday, I used some of the left-over rotisserie chicken in a salad along with some blueberries, cucumber, tomato, and walnuts over a bed of spring greens. Used some more of the lite salad dressing that I am not overly fond of, but can tolerate. For dinner, I used up the rest of a container of cottage cheese and a partial pkg. of lasagna noodles to make lasagna. I pulled the meat/TVP mixture from the freezer that I made last week and added a partial red onion, garlic, some canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spices to make a medium crock-pot full of sauce. I used that in the lasagna and put the rest in the fridge. I found a jar of applesauce approaching the use by date when I organized the kitchen, so had that as the side since RM and I had a large salad for lunch. Toasted up a couple of hot dog buns to make garlic “breadsticks.” I transferred my milk to several containers (put three smaller ones in the freezer) and made pudding out of some of what I left in the fridge- it is approaching the use-by date.

On Tuesday, I used an eggplant that has been in the fridge for a while and some of the left-over pasta sauce to make Eggplant Parmesan. Used more of the salad greens, the rest of a cucumber, the partial tomato left-over from Monday to make a simple salad. I also used more of the hot dog buns to make “breadsticks.” I also used the remaining milk in the fridge to make a cream gravy that I will add sausage to and have later.

Yesterday I did not feel so great, so RM had a bowl of cereal for lunch. I made myself a sandwich for lunch. For dinner, we had some of the left-over rotisserie chicken, the mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and zucchini squash. Also put out some of the watermelon.

This morning, I warmed up pancakes from the freezer and topped those with some fresh blueberries (will need to use those within the next couple of days or freeze them). Had some scrambled eggs on the side and warmed up a little of the cream gravy to have over the eggs. For lunch, I am making a Cranberry Chicken Salad with Sliced Almonds using more of the left-over rotisserie chicken. Will have some of the watermelon and grapes on the side. Dinner will be either leftover lasagna or eggplant, the rest of the hot dog buns make into garlic “breadsticks” and either some of the applesauce or a side salad. I cooked up some mushrooms from the fridge in a garlic butter and will put those in the freezer for next week. I will debone the rest of the chicken when I make the chicken salad and place most of the meat in the freezer and use the bones to make a stock. I am keeping up with using things for the most part (did toss out about ¼ pkg. of strawberries), but feel over-run with left-overs. At least I can freeze them if necessary. Still have a couple of pieces of eggplant that I did not use Tuesday and also a little of the pasta sauce still. Guess those will go into the freezer for later too. Sticking to my pantry challenge should not be a problem considering how many left-overs we have from this week.
Momof2you really do make some yummy food.. I get inspiration from a lot of what you cook. I always look forward to reading what you are using up. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good news and bad news... The bad news is I made a sharp turn with my car at a stop light while sitting still and did not realize how close I was to a curb. The curb had broken concrete so when I hit it it killed my tire.. It could not be repaired.. So I had to buy a new one..$ 180.00.. The good news is due to being frugal all year I had the cash to pay for the tire.

I have been saving a lot of money on groceries with sales and I can say they were great and will really help me to stay on budget this month since I needed to buy the new tire. I have enough in survey cash ( $6.00) to buy a free rotisserie chicken and the store is giving a 4 pack of Hawaiian rolls free with the chicken. I have been harvesting mulberries and putting them in my cereal and or eating them for a snack. They are still ripening in various stages so I put sheets under the tree to catch them. They are very high in antioxidants so I want to freeze and dehydrate them for winter. My spaghetti squash has big blossoms on them today and I am hoping later in the season to harvest enough to use in the late Fall and winter. My brother use to pick his and put them on bales of hay in his barn and they were still good until spring.. I am hoping to at least to have some in to mid winter in my basement. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Ouch Janet, sorry about the tire. My daughter and her husband had to buy a new tire while they were away on a short vacation about a week ago.

Skipped grocery shopping this past weekend. I want to see how far I can push it before I really have to go. There is still plenty of fruits and veggies in house for this week, and they will be pushing to be used within the next couple of days. RM and I generate so many left-overs I have started putting things in the freezer but not wrapping them to last for any length of time, but to last just a couple of days until we can use them. I pulled out the container of chicken broth from the rotisserie bones and also the pkg. of meat I put in there. Added the meat to a can of starter sauce (mushroom) and poured in a can of drained mixed veggies. Added some seasoning and it is simmering on the stove. I will spoon it over rice for dinner, have the tomato salad I made up last night to use the tomatoes as a side, and some of the bread that is baking in the oven and that will be dinner- I am sure there will be left-overs. At least that can be lunch tomorrow. I am using the broth to make chicken and vegetable with rice soup along with some of the left-over bread for dinner tomorrow night.

I will need to pick up cat food within the next couple of days, but hoping to push it until at least Wednesday since there was nothing I really need that was on sale this week. I do need a few staples (sugar, half & half, milk, and bread) so will grab those while I am picking up the cat food.
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, I hope you are feeling better.

I am doing well with the no spend challenge. While most of my days are no spend days, I am doing much better this summer with not spending. I do have the days that I have to pay my monthly bills, and buy groceries, household supplies, and pet supplies, but the spending just because is not happening. And when there are times when I want or need something, I have been going to the thrift stores around here and getting it. I have always loved thrift stores, but it is just so much easier to order things online.

I was looking for small baking pans and casserole dishes that can be used in a toaster/convection oven. I have always cooked meals as though my kiddos are still living with me hence the tons of leftovers I always have. I like left-overs, and thank goodness RM does not mind them, but I am tired of having enough leftovers to feed both of us for the rest of the week. I also do not want to heat up the house using the large oven each time I want to bake something. Even my smaller casserole dishes are too large for the toaster/convection oven, not to mention smaller amounts of food. Amazon has some, but RM and I went thrift store shopping and I found several small baking pans and small casserole dishes perfect for cooking for two. Once RM leaves, I will have left-overs, but not tons. If I want more left-overs I can just use the cook ware I have been using and the regular oven if needed. The best part is that the items cost just a fraction of what they would have if I had purchased them new. I also found a vintage Sunbeam stand mixer that I thought would be cool looking as a decoration. It came with the mixing bowls, dough hooks, beaters, and the booklets. The bonus is it still works which is great since my stand mixer bit the dust over a year ago, but I have not wanted to spend the money to replace it.

Anyway, I did go grocery shopping last Thursday and stayed within my restricted budget for my pantry challenge that I am doing. I do have to stop at Publix to pick up a bag of Stevia since I am almost out and Aldi did not have any. There were the individual pkgs. in a box, and I do use those, but for sweetening tea I use the bulk pkg. I have money from the budgeted amount saved for that.

The rest of the monthly bills have been under the budgeted amount although now that it is getting really warm out, I know the electric bill will go up. I had a surplus on my water bill account, so did not owe any money this month. It showed up on last month’s bill, but I paid the normal amount anyway, so this month’s bill showed no payment due. I am not sure what happened there, but I guess they know what is going on. I am just thankful for the money saved.

Still trying to use up things in the house along with the fresh produce bought. I planned on grilled pork chops tonight, but since I bought a pkg. of county style pork ribs to grill for Father’s Day (my daddy loved to grill, and especially on Father’s Day), RM and I are having his choice- hot dogs. I made some potato salad out of some red potatoes that need using. I also used the rest of the tomato salad to make a pasta salad. It will need to be eaten within the day or two since the tomato salad was made a few days ago. It is still good, just the onions and vinegar became a little too strong to eat on its own. I added part of a cucumber and some mini sweet peppers.

I did buy some bananas Thursday and like always never can finish them before they start getting too ripe, so I used one in a protein shake and the rest I smashed with some lemon juice and bagged up and put into the freezer. I used the last bag from the freezer last night to make banana bread. The fresh ones was not quite ripe enough last night. I still need to chop up the rest of the mini peppers and freeze on a cookie sheet and then bag up. They are starting to get wrinkly, so time to really do something with them before they go bad.

Well off to soak some white beans. I am going to make baked beans to go with the pork ribs tomorrow along with the corn on the cob that needs using.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

You guys are a make good food at home inspiration.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:38 pm Janet, I hope you are feeling better.

I am doing well with the no spend challenge. While most of my days are no spend days, I am doing much better this summer with not spending. I do have the days that I have to pay my monthly bills, and buy groceries, household supplies, and pet supplies, but the spending just because is not happening. And when there are times when I want or need something, I have been going to the thrift stores around here and getting it. I have always loved thrift stores, but it is just so much easier to order things online.

I was looking for small baking pans and casserole dishes that can be used in a toaster/convection oven. I have always cooked meals as though my kiddos are still living with me hence the tons of leftovers I always have. I like left-overs, and thank goodness RM does not mind them, but I am tired of having enough leftovers to feed both of us for the rest of the week. I also do not want to heat up the house using the large oven each time I want to bake something. Even my smaller casserole dishes are too large for the toaster/convection oven, not to mention smaller amounts of food. Amazon has some, but RM and I went thrift store shopping and I found several small baking pans and small casserole dishes perfect for cooking for two. Once RM leaves, I will have left-overs, but not tons. If I want more left-overs I can just use the cook ware I have been using and the regular oven if needed. The best part is that the items cost just a fraction of what they would have if I had purchased them new. I also found a vintage Sunbeam stand mixer that I thought would be cool looking as a decoration. It came with the mixing bowls, dough hooks, beaters, and the booklets. The bonus is it still works which is great since my stand mixer bit the dust over a year ago, but I have not wanted to spend the money to replace it.

Anyway, I did go grocery shopping last Thursday and stayed within my restricted budget for my pantry challenge that I am doing. I do have to stop at Publix to pick up a bag of Stevia since I am almost out and Aldi did not have any. There were the individual pkgs. in a box, and I do use those, but for sweetening tea I use the bulk pkg. I have money from the budgeted amount saved for that.

The rest of the monthly bills have been under the budgeted amount although now that it is getting really warm out, I know the electric bill will go up. I had a surplus on my water bill account, so did not owe any money this month. It showed up on last month’s bill, but I paid the normal amount anyway, so this month’s bill showed no payment due. I am not sure what happened there, but I guess they know what is going on. I am just thankful for the money saved.

Still trying to use up things in the house along with the fresh produce bought. I planned on grilled pork chops tonight, but since I bought a pkg. of county style pork ribs to grill for Father’s Day (my daddy loved to grill, and especially on Father’s Day), RM and I are having his choice- hot dogs. I made some potato salad out of some red potatoes that need using. I also used the rest of the tomato salad to make a pasta salad. It will need to be eaten within the day or two since the tomato salad was made a few days ago. It is still good, just the onions and vinegar became a little too strong to eat on its own. I added part of a cucumber and some mini sweet peppers.

I did buy some bananas Thursday and like always never can finish them before they start getting too ripe, so I used one in a protein shake and the rest I smashed with some lemon juice and bagged up and put into the freezer. I used the last bag from the freezer last night to make banana bread. The fresh ones was not quite ripe enough last night. I still need to chop up the rest of the mini peppers and freeze on a cookie sheet and then bag up. They are starting to get wrinkly, so time to really do something with them before they go bad.

Well off to soak some white beans. I am going to make baked beans to go with the pork ribs tomorrow along with the corn on the cob that needs using.
Momof2 You have been doing great.. I love reading about all of the food you have been using up. Since I am single I have collected a lot of those little food pans over the years to make things in my toaster oven.. They are great to have for portion control too.Keep up the good work. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama