Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

I freeze extra green peppers. I slice them up and just freeze them for use in cooking. They come out tasting just fine. I eat a lot of peppers sauteed with chicken. Yum
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am I freeze extra green peppers. I slice them up and just freeze them for use in cooking. They come out tasting just fine. I eat a lot of peppers sauteed with chicken. Yum
That is what I do. I slice some for things like fajitas and dice them smaller for quiche or an omelet. Also great to throw some sliced ones in a stir fry. I also slice and dice onions and freeze them. So much easier to grab a handful and start cooking. I am limited to freezer space since my chest freezer died.I still freeze a few whole green peppers when the prices are low to make stuffed peppers. I just make the stuffing and put it in the frozen pepper shells and then pop them in the oven. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I do the same with onions. It is so much easier to throw in already chopped onions.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am I freeze extra green peppers. I slice them up and just freeze them for use in cooking. They come out tasting just fine. I eat a lot of peppers sauteed with chicken. Yum
I have started to dice my green pepper and dehydrate them. Works wonderfully.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 pm
That is what I do. I slice some for things like fajitas and dice them smaller for quiche or an omelet. Also great to throw some sliced ones in a stir fry. I also slice and dice onions and freeze them. So much easier to grab a handful and start cooking. I am limited to freezer space since my chest freezer died.I still freeze a few whole green peppers when the prices are low to make stuffed peppers. I just make the stuffing and put it in the frozen pepper shells and then pop them in the oven. Janet Alliesmama
We have been storing onions down in the basement, but I am so tempted to try dehydrating them. I have mats for the dehydrator so I wouldn't have to worry about the diced/chopped onions falling through. I may give this a try with a few this year.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 pm
We have been storing onions down in the basement, but I am so tempted to try dehydrating them. I have mats for the dehydrator so I wouldn't have to worry about the diced/chopped onions falling through. I may give this a try with a few this year.
I have a dehydrator from my Mom but not confident about using it.She use to make some really yummy things like dehydrated watermelon and cantaloupe. Also zucchini chips that she added a spicy Parmesan cheese to after they were dry.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama