Household produces no trash

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Household produces no trash

Post by Jackielou »

Littlemiss, I think you might be speaking of a poster on the old About forum. You will remember the last name of Carr. I believe she used cloth wipes all the time.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

You are right Jackie - Michelle Carr - right? The lady with 300 black raspberry bushes.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Correct CG.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:19 am
Heloise wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:34 pm
littlemiss63 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 amI seem to remember a previous poster a long time ago who said her family used cloth wipes made from flannel instead of toilet paper. I am on a septic tank and considered it, but never followed through, maybe since I'm by myself I should revisit it. I would definitely have toilet tissue for my guests because some people would pass on thinking about going to this extreme for the environment.

I have researched it and it doesn't seem like it's to much trouble, and they are easy to make using pinking shears. Some might have an eek factor, but a mesh laundry bag inside a pail would keep you from touching the cloth that had been used for urine or poop. I raised two kids using cloth diapers and it never bothered me to rinse out the poop and those were kept in a diaper pail in a vinegar/water solution. From what I've read they actually recommend leaving them dry now. Seems the solution causes bacteria to grow.
That was me/us. Cloth TP in our house for years. Also used cloth pads, too (back in the day). As for soaking cloth diapers in the pail, I always found the pail to be too heavy with a soaking solution to comfortable handle when carrying down and up the basement stairs on laundry day, so I always dry-pailed. Diapers, rubber pants, and baby washcloths went straight into the plastic diaper pail at changing-time.
Heloise, came on line for a last read before going to bed and was delighted to see your post. I have missed you and hope you will come back and join us. I kept my diapers in a soak, but my washing machine was on the ground level and I would pour most of the water off into the toilet before taking the diapers to the washer. I had already rinsed everything off them before they went into the pail. That's the reason using the cloth wipes doesn't bother me at all. After you have a couple of kids nothings does. LOL

Leaving on my trip early in the morning and everything is packed and half the stuff is in the car loaded. Talk to ya'll when I return and everyone stay safe.
Hi, Little! So nice to hear from you.

The only time I soaked a diaper or diapers, was after changing a real dirty, which I'd set down inside the toilet to soak before I rinsed it, then into the plastic diaper pail the diaper or diapers would go. I also used cloth pads back in the day. Second best thing I ever did next to cloth diapering.

Hope you're doing well and we'll for surely chat again. :)
mainer

Post by mainer »

Such a great article. I'd love to put in more effort to reduce the amount of waste I produce. Buying non-packaged food seems like the best way to go. One just has to identify the right kind of things to carry in order to buy them.

Is anyone else irked by the amount of waste generated and carelessly thrown at stadiums? The sports industry is one of the most reckless industries--administrators, players, and fans--all are culpable.