Library Rant

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Library Rant

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Just curious - what is the noise level at your library? At this moment at my library there is every kind of noise. I thought libraries were supposed to be QUIET.

The two kids working in the cafe/coffee shop are having a LOUD conversation and throwing sugar packets at each other. There is a couple arguing while their baby sits and fusses in his stroller. Various assorted kids are running wild - unsupervised.

Various older gentlemen are discussing the weather and whatnot - LOUDLY. It isn't like this here all the time - but man you have to hit it at the right time if you want it quiet.
Jackielou

Re: Library Rant

Post by Jackielou »

I have found that since our library started hosting activities for children and babies (other than story time/craft time in the side rooms) it has gotten much noisier.

I think the time of the quiet, do not disturb libraries have gone the way of the Dodo.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm I have found that since our library started hosting activities for children and babies (other than story time/craft time in the side rooms) it has gotten much noisier.

I think the time of the quiet, do not disturb libraries have gone the way of the Dodo.
I think you are spot on Jackie. This library is more of a social hub. I still love it - I attend book club meetings and art and craft classes here and they have been a life saver for me over the long, frigid winter.

I still miss the old silence though.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

our new library just opened

Still pretty quiet unless a kid activity is scheduled. You know when that will happen, so you are warned.

No café here so none of that nonsense

The librarian is also pretty strict.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Wow your library has a cafe? The libraries we frequent are more on the quiet end. Activities for babies and small children are usually in adjoining rooms.

But libraries on a whole are becoming more like social hubs. Now that books can be checked out electronically at home the game has to change up..
2dogs+someCats wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:32 am Just curious - what is the noise level at your library? At this moment at my library there is every kind of noise. I thought libraries were supposed to be QUIET.

The two kids working in the cafe/coffee shop are having a LOUD conversation and throwing sugar packets at each other. There is a couple arguing while their baby sits and fusses in his stroller. Various assorted kids are running wild - unsupervised.

Various older gentlemen are discussing the weather and whatnot - LOUDLY. It isn't like this here all the time - but man you have to hit it at the right time if you want it quiet.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

delighted99 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm Wow your library has a cafe? The libraries we frequent are more on the quiet end. Activities for babies and small children are usually in adjoining rooms.

But libraries on a whole are becoming more like social hubs. Now that books can be checked out electronically at home the game has to change up..

Yes, it is a little coffee shop - coffee, tea, smoothies, snacks - really cheap. They do have a couple frozen lunch options - a "breakfast sandwich" and a little deep dish pizza - Sam's Club stuff. The coffees and teas are very good though.