Daily Check in Sept 12, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Re: Daily Check in Sept 12, 2018

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm Hello again.

I’ve been going over expenses from my trip and learned a few things that might be of interest to those looking at trips overseas. LittleMiss, I know you are a master of credit card rewards (and expenses) so thought this might be of particular interest to you if you plan to go to Ireland and Scotland.

I withdrew money in £ twice in England at ATMs and was not sure if or how much of a fee would be charged by my bank. I used my debit card. I looked today online and the fee was $5 for each withdrawal so not too bad. I believe international withdrawals are free with some banks, however. My first withdrawal was at Gatwick and I got a bad exchange rate perhaps because the UK bank charged a fee. £100 was $142. Second withdrawal was at a bank ATM in Bath that had a sign saying no fee. £100 was $135.

Most stuff I charged, including my hotel in London, (biggest expense) was a Capital One cc that does not charge a £ to $ fee. I do not use this card for online purchases so I did pay £ to $ on my prepaid tickets to Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Westminster Abbey. The fees were small, however. My biggest mistake was I booked the guest house in Bath with a cc that charges a fee and thought I’d change it at checkout but they had already put the charge for three nights through on the other card just after I checked in. Not a huge cc fee but would have been no fee with the Capital One card.

I bought my train tickets at a site, Trainline, that sells in U.S $. Prices were about 40% less for buying in advance. I got electronic tickets (which one conductor called “posh”) and just scanned them getting on the train. This is so unlike me because I normally cling to paper but it worked out well.

The only big thing I might do differently in the future is the booking of the London hotel. (Loved the hotel.) I paid a higher rate to get a reservation that could be cancelled until the last day just in case I couldn’t go because of a Pippi or a hurricane. In the future I think I’d book an alternative hotel I could cancel at the last minute as a fallback and wait until just before the trip to book my first choice hotel, hoping there were still rooms, and then book the non-cancellable room. The difference between the cancellable rate and non-cancellable rate probably cost me $150-$200 total for the four nights.

Hope this wasn’t too boring! Writing it down will keep it in my mind for the future.
Thank you so much for writing this down. I have saved it and will definitely review it before our trip next spring. So glad you had a good time and that you and Rinty met up. Also, enjoyed your posting your daily diary so we knew where you were and what you were doing.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Hi Everyone,

Have been enjoying a beautiful sunny day (for a change) and it makes my spirits soar. I am working on organizing for my trip this weekend and it shouldn't take me long at all to pack. I did my mail stoppage today as well so I want have that to do at the last minute. I sure love being able to do it online.

I am a bad girl, but will be eating out the next couple of days as I don't have a lot of fresh veggie's or fruits on hand and I don't want to buy any either. I am planning on making a batch of brownies to take with me to Mr. B's. I have milk and eggs that need to be used up.

My sis and BIL are on a trip up in Ohio, so hoping that they are far enough inland that the hurricane want affect them. Also hoping it doesn't tear up anything in Hilton Head, but seems like every couple of years it does hit there. The houses that we stay in near the beach have always been spared. Praying for safety for all those good folks in the path of the hurricane.

I don't have anything left to do today on my list, but swiffer my floors. House looks and smells good and I enjoy it so much when everything is done. Am loving the cooler nights where I can turn off the AC and open up my bathroom and bedroom windows.

Well, I am going to get me a shower and find me some place good to eat tonight. Have several gift cards so my choices are varied. I love these darn things, and they are my new way of getting more bang for my buck.

Everyone have a wonderful evening.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Clem,
I got some Pedialite … now when do I drink it and how much do I drink? If I can get it down LOL
Do I do it daily?
Thanks, JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

jckitty wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:08 pm Clem,
I got some Pedialite … now when do I drink it and how much do I drink? If I can get it down LOL
Do I do it daily?
Thanks, JCKitty
At least half the bottle.

I just bought the powdered version. One little tube works for a regular sized bottle of water. I've been having to go up in the attic to tend to our touchy AC and i sweat a lot up there. This helps keep me level.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Do I do it daily?
Thanks, JCKitty
Not Clem, but... I love grape Pedialyte. Only the grape, though. A tall ice tea glass half full of that and the rest cold water, and in an hour I no longer have a headache.

When it's cold I can drink it straight, but it goes farther with water.

I use it as often as I need it... the most being a couple of glasses a day, which hasn't ever hurt me that I know of. I'm on a potassium-sparing diuretic (for one of it's dermatologic side effects, LOL) and even with that, I've never OD'd on it.

Now I wonder if that's possible.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 pm
Do I do it daily?
Thanks, JCKitty
At least half the bottle.

I just bought the powdered version. One little tube works for a regular sized bottle of water. I've been having to go up in the attic to tend to our touchy AC and i sweat a lot up there. This helps keep me level.
Does the powdered version taste the same and give you the same results? I've never seen powder here, I'll have to ask the gatekeepers at WalMart if they have it (they lock it up here, and even meet you at the checkout with it :roll: ). It'd be handy to have powder.

I've been burned on generic. Didn't taste bad, but didn't kill the headache.