Any tips for swalllowing large pills?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Any tips for swalllowing large pills?

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

My new vitamin pills are HUGE and I have a hard time swallowing them with water - they are too easily going down the wrong place. I intend to get chewable vitamins next time (or much smaller pills) but meanwhile I have invested good money in these and already opened them -- so I'm stuck.

I am so scared of choking that I have started taking my pill at work every morning so I am not alone when I take it. Does anyone have any tips for making large pills go down easier and to making sure they go down in the right spot.

I have done some research and these pills can't be cut, crushed, dissolved, broken, etc.

Thank you!
floridacatlover

Re: Any tips for swalllowing large pills

Post by floridacatlover »

Be sure to have a big glass of water with the pill.

Actually, though, if you still have the receipt I think I’d try to return the pills even though they are open. Explain your difficulty. In my area I think most stores would take them back. I’m not someone who returns items often but in this case knowing the cost of vitamins, I’d do it.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Any tips for swalllowing large pills?

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I might try. It is pretty awful to be scared of taking your vitamins.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Take the pill in a spoonful of applesauce or similar consistency, maybe yogurt or jelly. (We did this for dad soon after his stroke. He can take them with water now.)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:56 pm My new vitamin pills are HUGE and I have a hard time swallowing them with water - they are too easily going down the wrong place. I intend to get chewable vitamins next time (or much smaller pills) but meanwhile I have invested good money in these and already opened them -- so I'm stuck.

I am so scared of choking that I have started taking my pill at work every morning so I am not alone when I take it. Does anyone have any tips for making large pills go down easier and to making sure they go down in the right spot.

I have done some research and these pills can't be cut, crushed, dissolved, broken, etc.

Thank you!
Drink water before taking the pill. NEVER tip you head back to swallow it closes off your throat. Tip you head down to swallow.. drink more water or have something like pudding or bread handy if it seems to catch in your throat.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Drink water before taking the pill. NEVER tip you head back to swallow it closes off your throat. Tip you head down to swallow.. drink more water or have something like pudding or bread handy if it seems to catch in your throat.. Janet Alliesmama
I've read about that, and I absolutely cannot swallow pills that way....tipping my head down. The pill goes nowhere, just stays in my mouth. I just tried it again, and after three tries, the pill was still in the middle of my mouth.

I always take them by putting the pill in my mouth, taking a swig of water, then tilting my head back and letting the pill sink towards my throat, then swallowing.

If it's a bad tasting pill, i put it UNDER my tongue, swig water, and swish the pill around to my throat and swallow. That way the pill is never sitting right on my tongue, tasting bad.
ohjodi