Stockpot as water bath canner

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Jenny

Stockpot as water bath canner

Post by Jenny »

I no longer have a water bath canner and am wondering if I can use a large stockpot instead? Any suggestions on getting the jars elevated off of the bottom of the pan or is this actually necessary?

Thank you!
Jenny
suzin.e.h

Re: Stockpot as water bath canner

Post by suzin.e.h »

I have used my stock pot....I laid a layer of table knives in the bottom of the pot...they were fairly close together and it kept the jars up off of the bottom....But all I canned was green tomato relish and some jelly and it was only for the 10 minute timing.... it worked for those things for me...I have no idea it it would be a good thing for other foods....
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Thank you! I am making jelly so I think the knives on the bottom will work perfectly.
Jenny
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

I am so glad you posted this......I have been trying to figure out what to do and now I know.

Thanks !!!!
Aunt Bridget
Vaeagen

Post by Vaeagen »

I always use a very large stock pot as a water bath canner. No need to buy a special item, though I must confess I never use my big pot for anything else but it is really big!

Valerie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Valerie, that's all I use the big stock pot for as well. That and about once every ten years,, I use it to dye a piece of clothing because it's so big almost anything will fit in there.
Mackie