Daily Check In December 23, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 23, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get coffee so just starting us off.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 23, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up not so early today, but must get ready for Mass and decorating the church after. I am only staying for at the most 2 hours on the decorating part.

Gone are the days when we had a group of women and men that were able to meet and get the church all done, it seems most of our dedicated people have started to draw back.

The longer the stay of a priest the more that stay influences the people....this stay better be short as we have moved from a parish that was sitting pretty good financially to one that is barely making ends meet. I do not know where the money is going even though I am on the Pastoral Council. It almost seems as if the finance committee is trying to keep us in the dark over expenditures. I also noticed more blue envelopes in our boxes for next year. We now have an envelope for flowers (that one is once a year), and envelope for the building fund every month, an envelope for youth development, and an envelope for the Archdiocese....We are being enveloped to death!

On to other things. Today will be a no spend day as it is not an envelope day. I am also planning that oldest DS will be home in time for supper so will pull out frozen meals to reheat. Keeping with my mantra of use it up that I adapted this past year (really think I need to keep it for next year as well). I also plan on getting my laundry done today, doing it Christmas Eve just doesn't seem right.

We had a yellow vest rally in the city yesterday. About 400-450 trucks were in a convoy down main street. Now these people are mad that it wasn't covered very well in the news. Really, the news covered Alberta's convoys and rallies instead. Just a small province here in the grand scheme of oil/gas production and from the look of the signs not really well organized as to why it was being held. Now organizers in Alberta are talking about a convoy to Ottawa to protest. I just have one question, if they are so worried about their jobs (it is worrying, Hubby has been in that position numerous times) you don't waste money filling your truck with diesel and travelling across Canada to protest. Perhaps I am just being a bit grinchy right now but when each province has a different yellow vest manifest there is no cohesiveness to an assault on our nations capital.

Other frugal happenings will consist of me continuing to use up some of my yarn stash, cutting up the recycled fabric into 4" squares (I really shouldn't wait so long to do this), reading a free ebook before bed, and just plain trying to keep spending to a minimum until the end of the month.

I mentioned that supper was going to be a meal prepared a bit ago. I froze chili and will pull it out to be used tonight. Serving it over pasta will make the meal complete.

Today I am grateful that very soon both of the sons will be home.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. We are going to have another warm day in the 50's. I am not planning on doing much although I might go in to town to the ATM and fill my car with gas.. Tomorrow it will be a zoo with it being Christmas Eve.
I have no need to shop or go anywhere and I am grateful for that.

Have a good and frugal day. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning! It's 30 and cloudy ... hoping that we'll get a bit of sun today.

Didn't sleep all that well last night, so moving a bit slowly today. Back is bothering me a bit, which may mean a weather change.

I'm calling it good on my part of the Christmas prep, so will spend part of today doing a bit of clean-up and perhaps work on some other projects. (Also looking into a temp job and pehaps a new contract job ... which means I need to refurbish my resume, etc. Don't know if these will go anywhere, but still good to look.)

Jackie, it is worrisome that there doesn't seem to be an accounting for where the $$ is going in your parish. You're right to be concerned.
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

OK. Weird! I posted a Check-In, but it got eaten somehow. Trying again.

I'm back again. Things are busy right now, as we are selling our house this coming year and moving to western MA to be nearer to D's family. My parents are gone, so it's his turn. It will hurt to leave behind the wonderful friends I've made over the years, and in particular, the friends I've made since we moved to WV.

Right now, we are working on decluttering. There is SO MUCH going out the door it's ridiculous! I'm also finding a lot of family history stuff, so I'm keeping that. I plan to create scrapbooks around the materials I have, as well as fill out the many photo albums I've found.

My fibro is getting worse, so I've been cut back to 2 days at the rescue. My finances are in DIRE shape. D is helping out a LOT, but I don't like being dependent on someone else. I am looking for a 2nd part time job and/or some freelance work. I'm getting nibbles, but nothing solid yet. My disability hearing may have been moved up to this coming Spring. Hopefully, I will be approved.

So far today, I've washed the dogs' beds and hung them out to dry. I'm now finally having something to eat (my stomach is often messed up in the mornings.) We may or may not make a Goodwill run today. I can't do those sorts of things on my own anymore, so I'm dependent on D to go with me.

No gifts for the holidays this year due to money, but we decorated, and we had a holiday party Friday night, so I'm feeling the Holiday Cheer! :)

Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all. Hope everyone is enjoying the countdown to Christmas.

Thoroughly enjoyed the play on Thursday; it was wonderful. It was almost cancelled though because they had a water pipe break in the basement and lost the lights in the auditorium. They weren't even sure they were going to be able to serve or make lunch, but they decided to give it a try. About 40 minutes into lunch which was basically the salad course, the lights came back on.

Every day my little nephew comes out with something that totally amazes us. One day this week he started singing and my sister asked her daughter what he was saying. He was singing Baby Shark in Japanese. He's also reading . . . Kris sent me a video of him reading the Cat in the Hat and he reads quite well. I knew how to read a bit also by the time I went to kindergarten thanks to my grandmother, but not like this little 3 year old. They're just born smarter now. He has the phone numbers of his parents and grandparents memorized as well as a 20 letter password for an account that his mom set up for him on the tablet. His vocabulary and context are also astounding to me. One day the Hershey kiss commercial was on tv and my sister called his attention to it. He then said "I like that commercial". My sister asked him to come over to her or about something while I was on the phone with her yesterday and he replied "not available". And another conversation they had, she had finished telling him something and he goes "and by the way". We have absolutely no idea of where he's getting this from. We only hope that he will continue on this growth path throughout his entire life.

Well, I'm going to go for now. Have a great day.