Repost of Chocolate Sauce

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
littlemiss63

Repost of Chocolate Sauce

Post by littlemiss63 »

Thinking along the lines of Hygge that Rinty posted about I can't remember if I have ever shared my recipe of some of the best chocolate syrup that I have ever tasted made from scratch. It's wonderful to add to hot milk, cold milk, or to treat yourself with a bowl of ice cream. I know I shared it years ago before we came to this forum, and we do have some new ones.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa (packed) I use Hersey's
1 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
Baking Soda (pinch)

Pour water into a saucepan and stir in cocoa until dissolved. over medium heat. Add sugar and continue stirring. Be very careful to continually stir and watch the mixture as it heats because it can easily boils over if you turn away even for a few seconds. Once mixture is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, continuing to stir. Set timer for 8-10 minutes, the longer you cook the thicker it will get. Once the timer goes off remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, salt & soda. Let cool. As it cools it will thicken more so if it is already thick enough then bottle it and put in fridge. This recipe will yield approximately 10 ounces of syrup depending on how long you reduce the mixture over heat. Delicious, you will want to use a larger pot and double or triple the recipe it's so good.
Liz50

Re: Repost of Chocolate Sauce

Post by Liz50 »

I have a similar recipe that's also delicious, but doesn't include baking soda. I'm going to try this one next time. Thank you.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Liz50 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 pm I have a similar recipe that's also delicious, but doesn't include baking soda. I'm going to try this one next time. Thank you.
Liz, the soda keeps it from crystalizing. I hope you like it. I think it's as good as Hershey's and half the cost.
Liz50

Post by Liz50 »

LittleMiss, Thank you for this reply. I'm sorry it's taken me this long to find it. Thank you for explaining the need for the baking soda. Good to know!