Reader's Digest Version of a Long Story

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

Reader's Digest Version of a Long Story

Post by randamax »

Some of you may remember me - I've been around here for years and used to post quite a bit. Then for one reason or another, life got kind of busy and I sopped posting. I did, however, keep reading every day.

Then, almost 5 years ago I was diagnosed with carcinoid cancer and my life got even busier. The first two years were fairly normal. Carcinoid is a slow growing cancer and, even though it had already metasticized to my liver, I was doing really well. I was on two different drugs and they were enough to ward if my symptoms for quite a while. The third year I began having more problems and I went in for more, and a different kind of treatment. There was some success with that, but, overall, not a great deal.

One of the potential problems with this type of cancer involve heart issues. I had the issues from the beginning, but they continued to get worse. They kept telling me that I needed open heart surgery, but the cardiac surgeon thought I was too sick and I probably would not survive the surgery. I went on that way for a while and finally pressed him for any other options that might be out there. He took my case to a number of his colleagues and they discussed options. He called me back over the summer with a 'possible' option if I met a bunch of medical criteria. Bring it on! I passed all of the tests with flying colors, and on Halloween, I had a transcatheter heart valve replacement. There is another valve that is also leaking, but I'm getting good function with the replacement and so we're leaving it for now.

I am able to do more than I have for about a year and a half and have much less fatigue. It's kind of a miracle really. I went out on disability from my job in August and have not been back since. In the meantime, I've decided to retire. It's much earlier than I ever planned to retire, but I do feel that now, while I'm feeling better and not worse, is the time to go.

So. I will be around much more now - yay! - and I have lots of comments and questions to share/ask with all of you. Some days I probably will not have the energy to post, but I'll always be around reading, and I'll post as often as I feel up to it.

Sorry for such a long post, but I kind of wanted to give you a little background on why I've been away for so long. I'm looking forward to our time together!
clemencia2us

Re: Reader's Digest Version of a Long Story

Post by clemencia2us »

Glad to see you posting again and that you are doing so much better.

My sister had to have a pace maker and boy what a difference it made. She could barely breath before.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

She also had cancer before and I've wondered if it could have contributed to her heart issues.
rinty

Post by rinty »

randamax wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am Some of you may remember me - I've been around here for years and used to post quite a bit. Then for one reason or another, life got kind of busy and I sopped posting. I did, however, keep reading every day.

Then, almost 5 years ago I was diagnosed with carcinoid cancer and my life got even busier. The first two years were fairly normal. Carcinoid is a slow growing cancer and, even though it had already metasticized to my liver, I was doing really well. I was on two different drugs and they were enough to ward if my symptoms for quite a while. The third year I began having more problems and I went in for more, and a different kind of treatment. There was some success with that, but, overall, not a great deal.

One of the potential problems with this type of cancer involve heart issues. I had the issues from the beginning, but they continued to get worse. They kept telling me that I needed open heart surgery, but the cardiac surgeon thought I was too sick and I probably would not survive the surgery. I went on that way for a while and finally pressed him for any other options that might be out there. He took my case to a number of his colleagues and they discussed options. He called me back over the summer with a 'possible' option if I met a bunch of medical criteria. Bring it on! I passed all of the tests with flying colors, and on Halloween, I had a transcatheter heart valve replacement. There is another valve that is also leaking, but I'm getting good function with the replacement and so we're leaving it for now.

I am able to do more than I have for about a year and a half and have much less fatigue. It's kind of a miracle really. I went out on disability from my job in August and have not been back since. In the meantime, I've decided to retire. It's much earlier than I ever planned to retire, but I do feel that now, while I'm feeling better and not worse, is the time to go.

So. I will be around much more now - yay! - and I have lots of comments and questions to share/ask with all of you. Some days I probably will not have the energy to post, but I'll always be around reading, and I'll post as often as I feel up to it.

Sorry for such a long post, but I kind of wanted to give you a little background on why I've been away for so long. I'm looking forward to our time together!
Love you, Randamax, so glad you are feeling better. That must be a great relief to your lovely husband, I remember you and he were a great team. Look forward to more posts !
randamax

Post by randamax »

clemencia2us wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 am Glad to see you posting again and that you are doing so much better.

My sister had to have a pace maker and boy what a difference it made. She could barely breath before.
Thanks! It really has made such a huge difference - it's unbelievable. Before the surgery, I could barely walk from my livingroom to my kitchen. I could barely breathe. Now I'm walking all over the place!
randamax

Post by randamax »

rinty wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:42 am Love you, Randamax, so glad you are feeling better. That must be a great relief to your lovely husband, I remember you and he were a great team. Look forward to more posts !
Thank you, Rinty. Love you too! It has been quite a journey and my husband has been amazing. I honestly couldn't have done this without him. He's taken on so much, bless his heart. He is finally at the point where he his breathing a little easier these days. And yes, we still say we are a team - a winning team! God bless him.