An Egg By Any Other Name

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

An Egg By Any Other Name

Post by randamax »

A couple of weeks ago, DH and I met some friends for dinner. I really haven't been out and about all that much for at least a year, so I was really looking forward to our night out!

We chose a local restaurant that we've all been to before. It opened a few years ago, then closed for a few months, then re-opened in November with the same name but with new owners. Having been there before, we knew it wasn't exactly 'cheap', but they had enough choices that it wasn't too bad. Not some place we'd go often, to be sure, but someplace where we would go from time to time.

In looking at the menu, it was clear that they had a more limited selection than they had before, and the prices were definitely higher, but we stayed to give it a try. Big mistake. DH and I never order appetizers - unless we plan on making that our meal with maybe a side salad. However, our friends suggested that we order a couple of appetizers to share, so we went along. We ordered the macaroni and cheese, and deviled eggs. They both arrived at the same time and I was kinda shocked at the size of each item. The mac & cheese came in a very small crock - it was really only enough for each of us to have a spoonful or so. On the egg plate sat 4 egg HALVES, so a total of 2 full eggs. I can't remember how much the mac & cheese was, but that plate of 4 half eggs was...are you ready for it?...$8.00! I couldn't believe it!! Keep in mind, there was nothing 'fancy' about the eggs. They didn't include lobster or crab or any other outrageously priced ingredient. They were simply deviled eggs.

The rest of the meal went on about the same. No one at the table ordered alcohol - in fact, we all just drank water. DH ordered a chicken sandwich with fries, I had a roast beef sandwich with fries, one friend had fried chicken and the other had chicken piccatta. We ordered two desserts to share. When the check came, we decided to just split the bill (their entrees though a bit more than our sandwiches, were not that much higher in cost); OUR share of the bill was $70.00!! Needless to say that we will not be going back to this restaurant!

On the way home DH and I were discussing the cost. I said to him, "Do you know how many dozen eggs we could buy for $8.00?!" Unreal. Interestingly enough, we just recently re-joined Costco. While we were there, we picked up a 24-pack of eggs...for $3.69. Now THAT is more like it!

So. How often do you eat eggs? What is your best recipe for an egg dish? How do you make deviled eggs? Where do you buy your eggs and what's the best price around in your area? Anything else you want to share on this topic?
littlemiss63

Re: An Egg By Any Other Name

Post by littlemiss63 »

Randa, I would have passed right on out when I saw the check. $70.00 for what you and your hubs got is beyond belief.

I picked up eggs yesterday - one dozen for $.99. I love deviled eggs and make them quite often for snacks. I like mine simple, I boil the eggs for 8 minutes, put into an ice water bath and they peel so easily. I mashed the yolks, add a tsp of white wine vinegar, enough Kraft Mayo and yellow mustard to make a creamy mixture, a little black pepper, don't add salt to mine because of low sodium diet and chill for an hour. I then put into a ziplock bag and put back into the shell half. Sprinkle a little paprika over the top and enjoy.

I wouldn't be going back to that restaurant. That type of sandwich would not have cost more than $10.00 at any nice restaurant in my town.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I often pay seventy bucks for two people, but the value has to be there. Had lunch at cheesecake factory the other day and their pork belly appetizer cane with four sliders that had coleslaw and fried pickles. Admittedly closet to twelve bucks rather than eight. Had that plus cheesecake and a drink and it c as me to 25 with tip.

I can eat eggs in any form
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm I often pay seventy bucks for two people, but the value has to be there. Had lunch at cheesecake factory the other day and their pork belly appetizer cane with four sliders that had coleslaw and fried pickles. Admittedly closet to twelve bucks rather than eight. Had that plus cheesecake and a drink and it c as me to 25 with tip.

I can eat eggs in any form
Quilter, when we have topics like this I really realize that costs in other parts of the country are so much higher than in the South. Seems our food cost much less than it does in Colorado and California. I know your salaries are higher than ours, but we can live on a lot less and still have the same lifestyle.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I find it really hard to justify eating out these days. We can cook as well or better than many chefs or line cooks, apparently, and just "convenience" really isnt reason enough for either of us to justify going out. The ROI just isnt there :lol:
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:54 pm I find it really hard to justify eating out these days. We can cook as well or better than many chefs or line cooks, apparently, and just "convenience" really isnt reason enough for either of us to justify going out. The ROI just isnt there :lol:
Sandi, and another thing it's just not good for your body either. I am having kidney issues and I know it's because I have eaten out to much since DH died. Restaurants want their food to be the best tasting and they are adding entirely to much sugar, fat, and salt, more than we need. I have a neat little restaurant near me that specializes in vegetables, but they are aren't healthy. They are highly seasoned, taste good but that much salt isn't necessary for them to taste good, plus being cooked with added ham, or fatback. I have had to stay away.