Putting our Creativity to Work

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Putting our Creativity to Work

Post by colonialgirl »

Maggie -
You are so sweet in your assessment and I appreciate it. I can craft - actually I have found little needle wise that I can't do and I can pick out fabric for a project etc. But I always tell my best friend - the difference between us is she is an artist and I am an artisan. I can recreate what other people design & put a new spin on it maybe - but I don't come up with original ideas.

But as LM says - if dish collecting is creative then call us Picasso. But your comments were so kind and I appreciate the encouragement.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

When I had children, I did many household creative projects. For example, I took their old clothes and made them each a crazy quilt on my old high quality sewing machine. I made many plush toy/dolls from popular TV shows. Now that the kids are grown and on their own, I am being creative outside. I design and build patios and recycle many things. I try to find ways to reduce waste which does demand creativity.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

colonialgirl wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 pm That is one of the things I loved about your Christmas prep posts - you were so creative.

The answer to your question is no - I don't have one creative bone in my body. Hubs is the innovator in our family. I just point out the problem we have and the solution I want and he figures out how to do it. I wish I were - but I have a journeyman's mind. Once I see something - I can recreate it or use it - but I don't have any capacity for innovation. Bummer.
You are definitely creative. Yes it takes skill and to a degree a logical mind to follow a pattern (thinking of your needlework here) but to be able to see the beauty of something before it is finished is a creative skill.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am not one to go off on my own, well except for basic quilting patterns (change them around, put weird colours together), but give me a pattern, fabric or yarn and I can go to town. I am also pretty darn good at picking out paint colours....decorating not so much.

I think creative is in the eye of the beholder. I have a sister in law that calls me Martha (after you know who). Not so much because I am super creative, but more because I do enjoy crafting. I enjoy the feel of fabric beneath my hands, the yarn slipping between my fingers, and the smell of something new and interesting baking in the oven or cooking on the stove top. But I almost always use a recipe or pattern, sometimes I tweak or change it a bit, but not often.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I believe that we are all creative. Creativity is not just craftiness. It's being original. If you repurpose something, you're being creative.

If we are talking specifically about making stuff I would say more than half the time it's for joy...quilting doesnt save money after all .and the other half is split between money saving and upcycling or repurposing to avoid waster. And sometimes it's because I can make it better (homemade salves and such), or more healthy.

I seriously believe there are two types of people. Those who like background noise and those who hate it and we often live together. Not only do I not like loud when creating. I would prefer silence. Never got the audio book while sewing thing...