Daily Check in Jan 14, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Jan 14, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,
Let's start today!
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in Jan 14, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Happy Monday everyone,

The last day of my 4-day weekend. I have my Mammogram this morning. I want to leave before too long. I remembered not to put on deodorant.

Yesterday I ventured out and stopped by Mom and Dad's. I had texted Mom that I went to Church and made it home safely. She texted back that Dad went out with his snow blower and cleaned their driveway and the neighbors. He also ran over and destroyed their newspaper. So I took my paper over to them. Mom was trying to complain about reading the paper online with her phone. I sighed and rolled my eyes (It is a game we play). She says I'm not going back there (indicating the utility room where she has a desktop and a 24" monitor) it's too cold. I told her I no sympathy for her. The roads were mostly clear other than their neighborhood. Dad complained that Mom would not let him go out and play in the snow with his car. Mom said he had no business being out their in case he got stuck. LOL!

Anyways, there was some refreeze overnight and a lot of schools delayed this morning. So I want plenty of time to get to my appointment.

Have a great day,
Maggie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning it is 28 right now and only suppose to warm up to around 31 so not much of a melt off today. I am snow bound because of the length of my driveway however the roads are open and doing well. Teddi has a grooming appointment this morning but I will have to cancel it. Food and medication wise I am good however there is another possible snow storm this week-end. Also rain and snow towards the end of the week. I will hopefully get out to get some fresh produce but if not I am still ok. The only problem will be my aide coming here.. I am ok without her but I do not want her to loose her income. We will see how things go.. She can always come later in the week and make up the hours here and there.

Have a good and frugal day everyone. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Monday morning all,

What an interesting family story, Maggie. Safe driving.

Yesterday, I worked on the leaves in the front. I finished up the leaves on the south side and worked on the leaves on the north side of the driveway. The winds were predicted to be out of the west, but they were blowing whatever way was against the way I was raking. None the less, I have a much bigger pile than I imagined. I use the north side leaves off that oak tree in the garden. The leaves off that oak are smaller and decompose better than the oaks on the south side. Willow leaf compared to live oak leaves. So today, I need to water the north gardens and prepare to dump leaves on them. That will be my task for the afternoon. This morning, I will do another load of wash and hang the laundry out. Hubs winter clothes are thicker and so, I have a full machine faster in the winter.

I have a big bag of hubs winter fat clothes to get rid of. I asked the neighborhood FB group if they knew of a charity that could use them. I got a reply and as soon as I can get contact information, I will go out and drop them off.

I brought a smoked sausage to go with the leftover beans last night and it was a success. Janet and others who use up leftovers really prod me to be more creative that way. Thanks all.

A couple of Jehovah witnesses came by yesterday. Unlike so many, these were actually very nice and we discussed windows and driveways and stuff. Normally, they just push their pamphlet. Some years back, they would come to the door and challenge. "Do you know the name of God?" and such. I don't like that because I have studied a bit of biblical history and read a bit of biblical Hebrew and a tiny bit of Greek. Not Latin though. For some reason, that language just doesn't work for me. None the less, some of the information they give out is incorrect and so I normally just decline their information. But this couple seemed interested and so I took the risk and suggested they reconsider some of their facts. Little things like their belief that there are no vowels in Hebrew. That is not entirely correct. I would like to study Arabic some day, but it is not that high on my list given my visual limitations. Hubs does a lot with audio books, but I am a visual person or was.

Today, I am grateful that I am happy. So many people seem so depressed, stressed, filled with hate and angry. Every day is a blessing and destroying it with hate and anger seems so tragic. Have a good day everyone.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
It's currently 15, and looks like it will be a sunny day, at least for a while.

Roads look to be clear, so will get out and do my errands and a bit of shopping today. We're supposed to get freezing rain, then snow at the end of the week, so best to get things done now.

Dinner tonight will be chicken ... going for a quick meal since DH has a meeting this evening.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Busy day ahead and I slept in. Oh well that just means head to the grind stone for me. Need to get things completed and what packing I can, for the trip ahead.

Not sure how much time I will be spending online tomorrow and Wednesday. I do know the hotel has free WiFi and hope to be able to take advantage of that at some point. Should be home on Wednesday with a few answers/solutions.

So my to do list is long, and I need to get started on that very soon. I am hoping to be able to go to my prayer shawl meeting and have most of it completed. As is usual some are little 5 or 10 minute chores, others take a bit longer.

Hubby plans on taking the car to wash it today (it is very dirty), and bottling the last of the wine. I need to pay bills (will do online) and pick up our allowances (will do after I leave prayer shawl ministry). It is frugal to combine errands to save on fuel.

Other ways of saving will be using up some more cleaning supplies, and of course using up the yarn and fabric stashes. Right now it is mostly about using up those odd balls or yarn from the stash, but I hope to get that down a bit over the next while.

Food is being used up as well. Last night I cooked one of our few remaining beef roasts and the leftovers have been packaged up and put in the freezer for later use. Might as well get as much as possible use out of something we paid good money for. I really do wish we got those yellow sticker deals that some of you get, our grocery bill would be down to almost nothing in comparison to what it is now.

Now new ideas on saving as of yet. I am sure I will find a little tidbit or two that I have overlooked in my quest for new ideas. It seems the harder I search the more those little tips elude me. I do find incorporating little things into our daily routine are much easier to do than one big seemingly impossible idea.

One pair of mitts and the matching headband have been completed. Right now I am starting on a pair of fingerless mitts to match. Those will more than likely be done in the next couple of days. Waiting seems to be lots of knitting time.

Off to get started on my day. Need to get that daily walk in and then start madly cleaning the house or doing other items on my to do list.

Supper tonight is going to be some leftover turkey noodle soup along with some salmon sandwiches (needs must get more fish in the system....good oils you know).

Today I am grateful for another beautiful winter day.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/