Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

I threw caution to the wind and ate the entire .25 cent packet of deli turkey slices.. I made a sandwich using three slices and Teddi looked so cute, sad, and "please I want some" that I fed him the last slice in small bites.. I think it is deli in name only. It is a chopped meat that has been reformed and then cut in to thin slices. Not something I would even pay $1.00 for but for .25 cents I will eat it. I had to put potato chips on it to give it texture..lol. I might just use it in a salad next time.

My brother informed me yesterday that he has ordered a box of food to be sent to me from Omaha Steak on my birthday. He wanted to check to make sure I would be home for the delivery date. I will be but at the same time my freezer is stuffed to the max so I need eat down what is in there already. I appreciate the gift and it will really help with my budget.Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good evening.. I am snowed in and it is a perfect time to do some cooking.. Did not get to the baking due to getting side tracked doing other things in the paper blizzard that never seems to never end. Also working on my craft room trying to shuffle things around to accommodate some of the Christmas decorations. Doing ok so far.

I made a skillet meal of ground chuck, cabbage, onions, and tomatoes. Sort of like stuffed cabbage but without the extra work. I did not use rice in order to keep the carbs down somewhat. I had peanut butter on gf toast for breakfast with blueberry jam and lunch was the last of a bag of taco chips with taco sauce mixed in to sour cream.Also finished a small bowl of potato salad.. again not carb or diabetic friendly.. But when I am working around the house I do not take time to make proper meals just hit and miss. I only used half a pound of the meat and will use the other half to make something soon. Not sure yet what. I had thought of meat loaf but using a 1/2 pound here and there makes things go further. In fact Teddi had 2 oz of the beef for his dinner tonight. Dessert was the last of a bowl of light cool whip with some peppermint extract and a few mini chocolate chips thrown in.. Mint choc. chip is my favorite ice cream and this hit the spot even though it was not frozen. I could have put it in the freezer but I was tired and hungry. I am hoping to get a better handle on things tomorrow and cook some decent food ahead.

My car is stuck in the driveway due to our recent snow storm. I have about 10 inches.. I had hoped to sort of make ruts and work my way back and forth but the car went back and never would go forward even with front wheel drive. I am hoping for a melt down tomorrow and Wed. I have a long driveway and it would cost a minimum of $65.00 to plow me out and there is a chance of more snow this coming week-end so I will just have to stay put and make the best of things. I do have a lot of good food to work with and Teddi will be ok for another 10 days with his purchased dog food. He can also eat whatever I can make him with what is in the house..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I forgot to mention that the potato salad I finished today was bought at the store. I sometimes want potato salad and it really costs more to buy a few potatoes to make it compared to buying a whole sack. of potatoes. I do not know why. Anyway with a small container of potato salad I bring it home and add eggs, onion, and my own touches of pickle juice, celery seed, a tiny bit of sugar and mustard. It really stretches it and makes it more like my own and in the long run costs less than buying a few potatoes. In the past my aide and I have split a sack of potatoes but we both need to cut back on carbs and do not need half of a sack of potatoes laying around tempting us.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

It has been a few days since I posted. I did not spend any money over the weekend, and so far this week. I think I will fill the car up with gas on the way home tomorrow- I do not think I can push it off until Thursday.

It has been a busy couple of days, but all meals have been from home. I have certainly deviated from my meal plan for the week. Oh well, I can always transfer things over to next week with a little tweaking. I have been incorporating things that need using with what I have been eating, so no food waste at the moment, but some were/are components for meals that I had planned.

Janet, most of the time I am not nauseous when I get a migraine, but on occasion it happens. This one was more of a mini migraine. I tend to get those a couple of days prior to my monthly cycle. Great birthday gift from your brother. Your cabbage dish sounds good. I do hope your car gets free and you get a thaw before the next round of snow. RM is in Maryland for his tech school, and he got a snow day yesterday. All that really means is he had to do double homework today.

I am glad I got my weekly chores pretty much done on Saturday. Due to my schedule along with my cycle, I have been exhausted when I get home the last couple of days. I still have the laundry I did Saturday hanging on a rack. Everything else is fine, just cannot seem to muster up the energy to fold and put those clothes away- maybe tomorrow.

Well off to take care of the animals and get ready for tomorrow.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We are expecting more snow later today so I am going to go out to do a minor stock up. I would be ok without things but there is more snow next week and since I can now get out of my driveway it is better to go while I can.

I made vegetarian chili the other day.. I did cheat and use a chili flavor packet from Brooks Beans but the rest of it was fairly inexpensive. I used 5 cans of pinto beans they were BOGO and the ones I paid for were .89 cents each. A can of fire roasted tomatoes from Dollar Tree for .50 cents.. I added some freshly grated cheddar cheese (about .15 cents) when I ate it. Another time added Parmesan, just a sprinkle, to see which I liked best. Cheddar is the winner... I ate 3 bowls and froze two for later..Dessert for both lunch and dinner was individual containers of applesauce about .33 each. Had a snack of peaches from the freezer. Dinner last night was half of a packet of Yellow Dal (2.00) from Big Lots served over a small bowl of leftover rice from the freezer. Rice was free from my aide.I had some fresh celery that needed to be used up so made stuffed celery. Used about 1/3 of a package of cream cheese, bought on sale, so about .50 cents and a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce. I had that several days off and on. The last of the celery is in a glass of water to freshen it and I will use in making something in the near future. Ate the last of my peanut butter on gluten free toast with blueberry jam. I am probably leaving something out but over all eating well but frugally. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 am We are expecting more snow later today so I am going to go out to do a minor stock up. I would be ok without things but there is more snow next week and since I can now get out of my driveway it is better to go while I can.
Janet, I am finding your frugal posts so inspiring, thank you! I have been doing well and have had mostly no-spend days. The spend days have been mostly necessary spending only so good for me. I find that making myself record every penny spent prevents me from spending on things I don't absolutely have to.

I am going to try to stay out of the thrift store all this long weekend - but I don't promise. I have an allowable clothing budget and allowable "for the house" budget for the year and it doesn't hurt to go see what is there that might work.

Anyhoo...hope you are well and the snow doesn't get the better of you!

Your Friend, Sheila