Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2Still

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, it is from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook. It is called Orange Salad in the book, but I always call it Citrus and Red Onion Salad. I also omit the green pepper since I am picky about what I like raw green pepper to be in. I also have used Sugar Belle and other orange type fruit that I have on hand and needs using. I also prefer red onion for this recipe, although it is good with yellow onions. I also like it without the salad greens, and rarely use them.

Orange Salad
(Betty Crocker’s Cookbook)

5 medium oranges, pared and each cut into 6 slices
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 medium green pepper, cut into thin rings
Curly endive or other salad greens
Lime-Honey Dressing (see below)

Arrange oranges, onion, and green pepper on endive. Drizzle with Lime-Honey Dressing. Makes 8 servings; 145 calories per serving.

Lime-Honey Dressing
(Included with above recipe)

¼ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon grated lime peel
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
¼ teaspoon paprika
Dash of white pepper

Shake all ingredients in tightly covered container.

Dressing notes: I substitute bottled lime juice and a shy ¼ teaspoon of dried lime peel in place of the lime juice and peel.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:12 pm Janet, it is from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook. It is called Orange Salad in the book, but I always call it Citrus and Red Onion Salad. I also omit the green pepper since I am picky about what I like raw green pepper to be in. I also have used Sugar Belle and other orange type fruit that I have on hand and needs using. I also prefer red onion for this recipe, although it is good with yellow onions. I also like it without the salad greens, and rarely use them.

Orange Salad
(Betty Crocker’s Cookbook)

5 medium oranges, pared and each cut into 6 slices
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 medium green pepper, cut into thin rings
Curly endive or other salad greens
Lime-Honey Dressing (see below)

Arrange oranges, onion, and green pepper on endive. Drizzle with Lime-Honey Dressing. Makes 8 servings; 145 calories per serving.

Lime-Honey Dressing
(Included with above recipe)

¼ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon grated lime peel
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
¼ teaspoon paprika
Dash of white pepper

Shake all ingredients in tightly covered container.

Dressing notes: I substitute bottled lime juice and a shy ¼ teaspoon of dried lime peel in place of the lime juice and peel.
Momof 2 thank you so much for taking the time to send the recipe. It really looks good. I love bell pepper any color.. This looks like a keeper. In fact I think I will be using the dressing for other salads. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, you are welcome. I think I may try it later on in the week with a mixture of oranges and grapefruit since I picked up a pkg. of grapefruit at Aldi yesterday. There were 9 in the pkg. for $2.79.

Today was a no spend day. I decided not to stop at the Dollar Tree after church. I have to go out tomorrow to deliver a meal to a family, so I will stop then and also top the gas tank off in the car. Once that is done, I should be good for not spending money until next weekend.

For breakfast I had a bowl of cereal. The milk smelled a little off, but tasted fine. I decided to use the rest this afternoon and made vanilla pudding from scratch with it. For lunch I had a small bowl of split pea soup (I opened a can Friday night for dinner), and ½ a sandwich. The meat was approaching the use by date, so I divided it into 5 servings and placed them in sandwich bags along with a slice of deli-style cheese and placed them in the freezer.

For dinner I made the Chicken Chow Mein with Crispy Noodles, so I used the chicken breast I cooked last night. I substituted spaghetti squash for the pasta. I thought it turned out very tasty, but the noodles were not crispy. I think it must need the starch from the flour to make the noodle crispy. I have 3 more servings of that left over for later. I also had the Orange Salad as a side. I have some bok choy to use and some Napa cabbage left in the fridge that was not needed in the recipe. I am going to make coleslaw with the cabbage. I bought a pkg. of brats that were on sale when I went shopping yesterday, so plan on cooking those tomorrow.

Well, off to check on the eclipse.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I need to try the spaghetti squash for noodles. The zucchini noodles just didn't work out that well.
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Dgflorida- the spaghetti squash takes no additional work. Once the squash is cooked,you take a fork and scrape each half out of the shell and it automatically has the shape of spaghetti. I substitute it a lot in place of actual spaghetti.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:17 am Dgflorida- the spaghetti squash takes no additional work. Once the squash is cooked,you take a fork and scrape each half out of the shell and it automatically has the shape of spaghetti. I substitute it a lot in place of actual spaghetti.
I like spaghetti squash too. My brother use to grow it in his garden and then he would put the squash on bales of hay in his barn and they stayed good until spring. I tried to grow some this year in my deck garden but Dennis the Menace ate the plants.. gggrrr. Dennis is my resident squirrel. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama