Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning,

Goldie gets her stiches out today. Y E A H !!!!

Goldie has been using the "lampshade" as a weapon, boy will she be shocked when it comes off today :lol:

Busy week coming up.

So we were a a Mass for my friends mother, she was 93 and had been bed ridden for over 4 years. My fiend's brother is a priest and there were 23 priests at the mass, and a Bishop!

IC
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon all,

Still bone-chillingly cold here! Snowshoe Adventure Camp was cancelled. I wouldn't have gone anyway as it's too cold for my enjoyment. So this gives me more time to complete some tasks at home. I went out this morning to the bulk food store to take advantage of a promotion. I also went to Salvation Army to drop off some donations. I spent a little time looking around but didn't get anything! Yah - more space in the house. I tried on around 20 sparkly dresses to prepare for formal night of our cruise. But didn't find exactly what I wanted. One dress was a good possibility but I decided to hold off for a half price sale. The prices have really gone up at our thrift stores. I also went to Value Village but they had less selection than Salvation Army.

Dh was busy with his art this morning and prepared his own lunch. I lost track of the time a bit when trying on all those dresses. It certainly created a lot of static in my hair! I'm waiting for a call back from our travel agent as there are some off shore excursions I wanted to book and a bunch of questions I'd like to ask.

Well off to accomplish something - am thinking of cleaning out the fridge. Some cupboards also need some wiping down.

Creative
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Another nice day, but weather dude is predicting up to 3" of snow tonight so will have to see what happens. I am going to make a grocery run to pick up a few things because I am almost out of milk. I like buying whole fresh pecans and then dicing them myself. I have just finished cutting up a lb bag. I will be using some to make divinity and some for rolling a cheese ball in.

My handy man didn't call and I haven't seen him today. I wish that I could find someone more dependable that does as good of work as he does. I get so aggravated with him not showing when he says he's going to, but it's is terrible to find anyone to do good work at reasonable prices here. I just don't understand it.

I have a recall on my ABS system for my vehicle and it's also time for an oil change. I called and made an appointment with my dealership to have both services done on Thursday. I just don't want to go two different times so it worked out. They said to fix the recall problem that would take about 3 hours. I will spend half a day there.
They would probably run me home and I may have them do that. Of course, I can put a good book on my phone and just read too. Times like this, I really miss my husband for he did all this stuff and I never had to fool with it.

Jackie, I don't know if powdered milk is cheaper there than regular milk, but have you thought about mixing whole milk with powdered milk to lower your cost. I haven't done that in awhile, but that might save you some money on your milk bill. When I was raising my kids, I did it all the time and they never knew the difference. You probably already do this, but since meat is so high try serving more meatless meals. With a man to feed I know that is really hard to do. I love salads and having a chef's salad you can get away with an oz of chicken, ham, or turkey instead of 3-4 oz since you can add an egg and be satisfied.

I let a friend talk me into putting a password on my phone at church yesterday and last night I went to call my daughter and it wouldn't take the password I know I put in it. Well, I made a run to the ATT store first thing this morning to get that little problem fixed and they had to reset it to factory settings, lost everything. It will take me awhile to get all my phone #'s back in there, but a word of wisdom to everyone, if you don't already have all that information backed up somewhere, put all your phone #'s and pictures on a home computer or back them up on the internet, if not they are lost. Live and learn.

Everyone have a wonderful day and I hope you are warm and cozy wherever you are.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:49 pm Can you print out your mom's e-mails? maybe on "pretty" paper?
Yes, I was thinking I should print them out. Pretty paper would be a nice touch. Thanks.

I’m glad that Goldie is getting her stitches out. It sounds like the whole process of getting her fixed has been challenging. It will be lots more fun for both of you now.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:54 pm Good afternoon all,

Still bone-chillingly cold here! Snowshoe Adventure Camp was cancelled. I wouldn't have gone anyway as it's too cold for my enjoyment. So this gives me more time to complete some tasks at home. I went out this morning to the bulk food store to take advantage of a promotion. I also went to Salvation Army to drop off some donations. I spent a little time looking around but didn't get anything! Yah - more space in the house. I tried on around 20 sparkly dresses to prepare for formal night of our cruise. But didn't find exactly what I wanted. One dress was a good possibility but I decided to hold off for a half price sale. The prices have really gone up at our thrift stores. I also went to Value Village but they had less selection than Salvation Army.

Dh was busy with his art this morning and prepared his own lunch. I lost track of the time a bit when trying on all those dresses. It certainly created a lot of static in my hair! I'm waiting for a call back from our travel agent as there are some off shore excursions I wanted to book and a bunch of questions I'd like to ask.

Well off to accomplish something - am thinking of cleaning out the fridge. Some cupboards also need some wiping down.

Creative
Creative good idea to look for your fancy dresses there. My niece was invited to a charity ball by a Dr friend of hers and she bought her dress for $17.00 at Good Will. She said she was voted best dressed..She said if only they knew...lol. Good look and happy hunting. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

The wind has turned brutal. I plugged the block heater in when I got home from our prayer shawl meeting. Hopefully the wind goes down by the time I need to go to the doctor tomorrow morning.

I have gotten lots finished today but there is more I can get done. Staying in now and not venturing out into temperatures that can freeze flesh in less tha 15 minutes.

Thanks for all your suggestions as to cutting expenses. Many we already do, and a few we have been discussing. The good thing is that while we would like to see how much we can lower our overall budget, we are not being forced to as of yet.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/