DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:59 am DG, you and I do not always (or often) see eye to eye but I say this out of kindness.

Lighten up. Life is too short to focus so much on frugality at the expense of other parts of your life. I may be incorrect, but I don’t think you NEED to be more frugal. Watch a movie, read or listen to a book, listen to music, buy a pretty plant you want even if it is not on sale or marked down, buy yourself a small treat (pretty kitchen towels, new pair of nice shoes, new lipstick - my mom’s favorite, whatever). Take time to relax and not just get stuff done.

My mom was very frugal at one point in her life but she learned in later years to buy things she wanted even though they were not on sale. I’m frugal, too, in my own way but I want to enjoy life, too. How much is enough. Probably this is frugal heresy.
Not at all frugal heresy. People are frugal for different reasons and in different ways. We are frugal so we can spend more traveling, seeing other countries or even our own vast and beautiful one. Push comes to shove, if we need it we buy it (that happens a great deal in this house).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

The most unfrugal thing I have done was buy a brand new 2018 Toyota Sienna. At my age I do not want to be stranded if something dies on my vehicle. I sprung for the new because this model year was the first to have several built in safety features that are helpful. You can't put a price on safety. There are ways this vehicle will hep pay for itself. Rather than buying a trailer or RV and dealing with the hassles of a vehicle I am not comfortable driving I picked I[ an idea from a friend and will be using it as a campervan. I will not change anything; I will just supply it with things I will need when I am out. It is easy to drive. It comfortably seats seven people. It's a smooth ride. I have no regrets. I am frugal in many other ways.

Bev
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I just want to add I will pay top dollar for things to keep me safe. I spent a lot of money for two pairs of shoes a while back because I am at risk for falling. Having these shoes has kept me from toppling over more than once. I will also be looking for ways to keep my home and yard safe so I don't hurt myself.

Bev
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks all for sharing your viewpoints on extreme frugality. ;) I take it as a pat on the back. Thanks again for the advice.

You are right Floridacat, I don't need to be more frugal. I have been struggling with hiring help in the yard, especially building the front patio. On the other hand, I feel like I have been throwing money around with all these major improvements. I will consider your suggestion.

Jackielou, I am frugal because I am a true environmentalist. I was active in the first Earth Day and have always tried to be good to the environment. Frugal truly reflects a smaller footprint on the earth. Knowing each day that I am not contributing to the mistreatment of the earth, pleases me.

Bevmoore, I agree that these new safety features are very attractive to me as well.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

A new week and possibly, the final shelter will be built by the handyman. Money that goes to eliminate worry is money well spent. I have never been happy that the water filters have been sitting unprotected in the yard. Now they will have a roof. Of course, I could have cut down the nearby tree instead. But I feel guilty taking healthy life, especially trees.

This week, the weather looks great. I have decided that this year, I will get on top of the leaves and I feel good that I am succeeding. I also am happy that I am getting started on the grass mowing while the weather is cool. I think I can get on top of that as well.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

A vision came to me as I was scanning garden group assorted pictures. It will balance out my large front yard. It will include the garden on the north side, an archway and a white picket fence. I am still working out the details in my head, but it is such an improvement over just throwing plants here and there.