Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by Dgflorida »

Keep up the good work. The month is still young and maybe you can equal or beat last month given a little more time.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

More than halfway through the month with 7 out of 17 (I know, it sux)... 41%

Monday, drumroll, please......... we get our taxes done :?

Our accountant is former IRS, currently semi-retired (I have to hope he never fully retires, I'm not sure what we'd do without him) who spouts tax code, I'm pretty sure, in his sleep. Can't wait to see him, because he's fun to talk with, can probably live without knowing what the damage will be a little longer, though.

So, tomorrow's a spend day, gotta pay the man. And possibly the government. :shock:

That will be 7 of 18... 38.8%
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Wow, the tax thing...

I need to sit down. Good thing I was braced for bad news.

I'm one of those odd ducks who braces for bad but secretly hopes for it not to be THAT bad.

It was juuuuuust shy of THAT bad and I'm totally bummed.

Oh, well. C'est la vie.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

So sorry to hear that you have bad news.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm Wow, the tax thing...

I need to sit down. Good thing I was braced for bad news.

I'm one of those odd ducks who braces for bad but secretly hopes for it not to be THAT bad.

It was juuuuuust shy of THAT bad and I'm totally bummed.

Oh, well. C'est la vie.
Sorry to hear this Sandi..Hopefully you will be able to get things in order for this year.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am Sorry to hear this Sandi..Hopefully you will be able to get things in order for this year.
DH and I decided, after initial funk... "Meh," LOL. He's going to bump his 401(k) contribution some, which we probably should have done when I got contract work, but neither one of us thought of it then. Its not that his company did a bad job calculating withholding or anything. It's that magic $24K that we were unable to exceed, in charitable contributions and expenses, that would have allowed us to itemize. That, apparently, is a thing of the past, and was amazingly beneficial to us in the 'old days' (a period defined as 2003-2017 :lol: ). Weirdly, we may actually exceed the 24k for 2019, but that's a "may exceed," there's no certainty to it.

Another reason to stay off the boss's payroll came up - I can't deduct the cost of anything I purchase for use on the job, or some $ for the 'cost' of the office I use in the house, if I'm an employee.

All in all it was better than... I think it was 1996 and 1997, when the ex somehow screwed up his withholding and had to pay out the nose. You do that a couple years in a row and the fed gets aaaaalllll sorts of up in your business. Better him than me.