Prices are Rising

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Prices are Rising

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Jackielou » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Penny did you even check out the second link I posted?

The last bit explains why they compare Canada Select to West Texas for pricing.

It wasn't always this way but has been for the last 25 years or so. The discount was not always this big either. That didn't happen until about 4 years ago.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Yes, I did and the refining capablity of heavy crude is very limited. Many more refineries are able to refine light sweet crude. Thus the price is higher plus it costs more to refine heavy crude.

Penny
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

"Driving less is probably the best way to save or buying a Prius or other low-fuel vehicle. Americans love their trucks and SUVs, however. No trade policy will make U.S. vehicles attractive overseas in my opinion."

Gas here in Cali now costs us $4.00 per gallon. I can get it for less at Sams Club or Costco.

The reason we all love our trucks, SUV's and vans is because we feel safer in them. There are so many idiots and nut jobs out on the road that if someone is involved in a crash that person is more likely to survive or be injured less seriously due to the size of the vehicle. That is why we won't give them up regardless of what gas costs. The only thing we can do is drive less (which people here do not want to do).

Bev
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

BevMoore wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:29 pm "Driving less is probably the best way to save or buying a Prius or other low-fuel vehicle. Americans love their trucks and SUVs, however. No trade policy will make U.S. vehicles attractive overseas in my opinion."

Gas here in Cali now costs us $4.00 per gallon. I can get it for less at Sams Club or Costco.

The reason we all love our trucks, SUV's and vans is because we feel safer in them. There are so many idiots and nut jobs out on the road that if someone is involved in a crash that person is more likely to survive or be injured less seriously due to the size of the vehicle. That is why we won't give them up regardless of what gas costs. The only thing we can do is drive less (which people here do not want to do).

Bev
Wow Bev, $4.00 a gallon. I was feeling sorry for myself because I paid $2.49 yesterday. You are right about the SUV, I feel so much safer in mine and I do make every trip count by combining my errands. I will continue to do that.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I don't know if I could ever go back to driving a car. Like Littlemiss and Bev I feel safer in my SUV.

However I do find myself walking more when I can.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Very interesting, Jackie. Will read.

Jackielou wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:31 pm In case anyone is interested here is an article outlining the sale of heavy oil here in Canada to the U.S. Note the difference in prices...

https://nationalpost.com/news/as-canadi ... -mountain
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Just my two cents on the car vs. SUV discussion..

SUVs have a higher center of gravity and are more likely to tip over if one is taking a fast turn. I'll pass. :)

Also, the size of a car doesn't necessarily mean safer. Today's cars have driver's side, passenger side airbags, are designed with crumple zones. I don't buy the smaller cars are automatically less safe argument.