Prices are Rising

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Prices are Rising

Post by icfrugal1 »

ohjodi wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:30 pm When parents (now 77 yrs old) were buying a new-ish car four years ago, I BEGGED them to get a mini-van. They're older, my dad is very tall (and newer sedans aren't roomy like they were 20+ years ago), he had a bad hip, foot, and back.........and they were going to now be raising three teenage grand kids, two of whom are very tall, also.

But no, no. They bought a sedan, and from day one it's been trouble for them. He's had hip surgery, needs foot surgery, they have to ask a neighbor to take them to and from the dr sometimes. Plus the kids and their gear won't fit.

Just like 15 years ago when i told them, repeatedly since then, to install a bathroom, and maybe a small bedroom, on the 1st floor of their ancient farmhouse, so they wouldn't have to basically turn the livingroom into a bedroom, and nobody would have to do their business in a bucket toilet chair if either of them got sick or had hip surgery, etc and couldn't get up the stairs.....just like grandma had to.

Well, GUESS WHAT. lol
GGGRRR so sad, but there is nothing that you can do. any chance that they can get a SUV now?

Too late for a downstairs bathroom?

I'm assuming that they won't put in a "stair lift" to make it easier to get up the stairs? Because of the stair lift we have been able to stay in our house.

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Higher prices, it's going to cost $185.00 to have my pool filter cleaned, it used to be about $100.00.

I can and do skim the pool, putt the chemicals in and clean the pool robot, but I can't clean the filter.

DH used to clean the filter, but he can't anymore.

IC

The pool guy just left and he just charged me $151.00 instead of the $185.00 (???)

And he played with Goldie, he met her last year when she was just a puppy, he loves labs and she is a lab mix. :D

I feel bad because I just tipped him $10 instead of $20. Of course lots of people don't tip at all, but still.

IC
Last edited by icfrugal1 on Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 am Another reason people want SUVs. They accommodate the aging population. Getting in and out of a sedan is almost impossible when my arthritis is flaring. I don’t think I would ever go back to another kind of vehicle. I think they are popular because they meet today’s drivers needs.
CG, I so agree with you about the ease of getting in and out of an SUV. I couldn't do it anymore and will never go back to a sedan. I can climb into something better than I can bend into something.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 pm CG, I so agree with you about the ease of getting in and out of an SUV. I couldn't do it anymore and will never go back to a sedan. I can climb into something better than I can bend into something.
I am the opposite. My daughter has a ford blazer and I had to pull myself in it. I have no trouble getting into my smaller station wagon. Don’t have strength in my legs to get in.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

icfrugal1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:16 pm GGGRRR so sad, but there is nothing that you can do. any chance that they can get a SUV now?

Too late for a downstairs bathroom?

I'm assuming that they won't put in a "stair lift" to make it easier to get up the stairs? Because of the stair lift we have been able to stay in our house.

IC
The car is paid off, and they said they'll "start thinking" about getting a minivan. That means two years from now, maybe, lol

An SUV would be difficult because my stepmom is pretty small, and I also have a hard time getting in because both my knees are so bad. You have to hoist up into an SUV, but with a mini-van it's kind of an even move into the seat.

Their stairway is likely too narrow for a chair lift, and there's a tight 180* turn half way up.

They need to sell the house and move. They're in the middle of Nowhere Northern Wisconsin. That old house and three feet of snow will be the death of them.
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

AND! The car, the bathroom, and the snow is probably a pointless argument, anyway, because the banister/rail at the top of the stairs has been wobbly for over THIRTY years, and......."it's fine, we know to be careful around it, I tied that rope to it...." They have an Amish carpenter friend who offered to fix it for FREEEEE but noooooo

So my partially blind dad with the bad hip and foot is going to stumble against that banister and fall into the stairwell on top of my stepmom and they'll both be dead, lol

ok, not funny............thanks for letting me vent!
ohjodi