Daily Check-In, May 8, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Daily Check-In, May 8, 2019

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I’m up early to go to an appointment with a SHINE Medicare advisor (called SHIP in most states). These are advisors through the Department of Aging. My mom had a Medicare Advantage plan but I’m thinking of a Medicare supplement instead, at least for a few years. As you may know, in most states you can get a Medicare supplement with no pre-existing conditions underwriting when you first get Medicare. I’m meeting the advisor at the library.

Then to mom’s house. I need to cut the back yard soon but probably not today. But I am planning to get gas for the mower. Hate doing this alone because I can’t see the pump numbers and the nozzle in the can at the same time.

I’m not sure what else I’ll do today. Still trying to take it easy a bit.

Have a good day.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-In, May 8, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

Today, the handyman drops by to look at a problem I am having with the gutter off the back porch and also price the cost of a window in the shed. I decided to have him do the shed window because I am lame due to my knee injury and won't be able to do it. I am still waiting to hear back from the yard guy since this knee injury has knocked me out of mowing the grass as well.

Yesterday, I completed a section of irrigation line in my new front flower bed. I tested it and it is good to go. That was as much time on my knee as I could take. I disrespected the knee on Monday and paid dearly for it. The pain was so bad, I simply had to get up and do dishes etc. in the middle of the night. Last night, I was able to sleep.

Monday was such a frustrating day, I didn't come online. I told hubs that we absolutely needed to know when this reunion was going to happen because air flights were already becoming unavailable on the expected days. After pestering him, he called his brother and got the date confirmed. We went online to book and before we could finish the process, the price doubled. Why my sister in law wanted to keep it a secret until they could send out formal invitation really po me. Of course, we are the only family that has to travel 1000 miles. Thoughtless people. On top of that, I had been trying to arrange an interesting trip from Tampa to Key West for old dance partner and me to take. He had said he wanted to do a bar crawl there. Well, I got it mostly arranged and he looked at the hotel prices and decided he didn't want to do it. Instead he wanted to do a cruise. So after he and I researched it. Nothing looked interesting. Then my knee started hurting. Just a bad day.

Tuesday was a lost day mostly due to lack of sleep. I intended to go to a program at the library, but I got into the irrigation line and forgot about it. Oh well. Tuesday is over and I hope today is better. Today, I will start taking MSM powder recommended by several dance people to help heal muscle, connective tissue tears.

I am grateful that I woke up today in minimal pain. Have a good day everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It seems a bit warmer this morning, but the sky is overcast with just a bit of robins egg blue trying glimpsed between the low lying cloud cover. I hope it either rains or clears up quickly.

Hubby worked on the side garden (hosta bed) yesterday. The hosta plants were dug up, the area sprayed, new landscaping fabric placed and new cedar chip mulch put down. Hopefully with the addition of some pots, weed take over has been averted.

Not much happening around the old homestead. More of the usual money saving ideas, and working on those monthly projects and goals. I have actually made pretty good headway on the cross stich project. If things keep going as well as they did yesterday I should be finished by Friday... Yea, I can start on another project. This time sewing, got lots of that to do.

I managed to clear out some fabric that I have had for years. It is very sheer, and I just don't have the proper backing fabric in my stash to use it all up. So into the bag for donation it went. I am going to have to start another bag very soon. I also found some old sugar/flour bags. Those I bought to make tea towels with, so I am going to gather them together, to be part of my goals/projects for next month. I also need to find a transfer pattern for them (mom always did days of the week and embroidered them).

There will be no spending today. I plan on pulling out fliers and getting my list ready for tomorrow. I do think I will spend a bit more and purchase some plants (things disappear quickly here). I can harden them off daily outside when the weather is nice, and keep them inside at night. It is only about a week away before it will be safe to plant them.

Supper this evening is going to be the leftover chili. I let Hubby have his toast with it, so now it is my turn. I like it served over pasta. Kale salad on the side will finish it off and clean out one of the drawers in the fridge.

Today I am grateful that I can perhaps get outside for another walk today, though I should be using the treadmill a bit more.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

I'll be heading out for walking club soon. It's a very brisk 4 degrees C., and overcast. Tonight we're expected to get more of that white dreaded stuff but it shouldn't last long. This seems to be the winter that never ends!! I'll be donning a light hat and gloves for today as well as my light weight down inbetween jacket.

In the afternoon I'll be heading out to get a few groceries. It seems dh can't live without his beloved mixed green salad. We go through about 3 large cartons a week! (about 10 - 11 ounces). He'll be having spinach pizza topped up with our own mushrooms and tomatoes for lunch today instead of salad. It seems I'm always shopping for fresh veggies but I do have the time now that I'm retired. I no longer do those huge weekly hauls I use to on the weekend. This way everything is quite a bit fresher.

I'll be making Jackie's Moroccan soup for dinner tonight. Dh and dd have leftover pork shoulder with gravy, and mini potatoes. Think I'll make oven roasted zucchini for our veggie - it needs to be used up. We also have asparagus. At any rate, dinner will be pretty easy tonight as we have leftovers.

Creative
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

We are expecting rain later this morning the hill country Northwest of the city is under severe thunderstorm warnings.

I called the apartment office to ask if maintenance could check to make sure the water on off knobs actually works. I don’t want a crisis when we are installing the new one.

I need to wash some hand dishes. Not much got done yesterday.

I finished a part of the first mystery knit project.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Overcast and looks like rain. It did sprinkle already. Nice breeze

Didn't sleep well at all. The pups kept jumping around. The COD kept piddling around in the house and i could hear him opening and closing doors. I was going to turn off the TV at 2am, but didn't

Then i sort of dozed off and keep hearing a beeping noise. I finally snapped and went to the kitchen. yep - he left the freezer door open again. Why does he has this thing of never closing doors completely!!!!! Very irritating. Drawers etc.

So i will be like a zombie all day.