Daily Check in May 10, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check in May 10, 2019

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have baked cookies this morning. I did a full batch But I am giving away about half. They are very good as usual.

Now that the cookies are out of the oven and cooling I am going to rest until time for lunch. I plan on washing dishes while I fix lunch. I do have to empty the dish drainer. 

Not much else is new. 

Penny
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello Friends,

TGIF!! I need a nap!! :lol: We had a scheduled power outage in our whole town last night for 5 hours (midnight to 5am), and I awoke about 3am and only dozed until my alarm went off at 5:40am.

I'm subbing for a friend who has all the same students that I had in January during my long-term subbing assignment. Thank goodness she planned for a movie... though this also makes me want to put my head down & nap (as several students have done already). I have really missed this kids... am glad I get to see them next year too.

Mother's Day this weekend, have already had my "gift" of going to Women's conference last week, and fully do not expect Anything else... rather I have just learned to not expect anything from Dh on Women-type holidays (anniversaries, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, etc).

Today, I'm wearing my New (to me) pants I bought last week at a "big city" thrift store... discovered this morning that they are a size too large, BUT they are long enough, and am keeping them. :D

Not sure on what dinner tonight will be... I've had so little sleep this week, that my brain isn't functioning properly.

Very Cold Yesterday... well the past few days. We had a little rain in the valley, but the mtns got snow & rain. Good luck to all of you east of us.

Have been thinking about Jackie's Using up the Stash challenge, I used most of a skein last week to make a c2c crochet scarf which I donated to Women's Conference. Sunday, I pulled out 3 skeins of yarn, and started a 3-strand knitted hat. It's smaller than promised, but I will finish it and put in my next "stash for charity giving," then try the pattern again, but with bigger knitting needles as I think I made the stitches too tight.

Today I'm thankful for this break between classes added onto lunch... also thankful for Only Two More Weeks of School (ends on May 24 about 1pm)!!

Should I not get back here on Sunday, Happy Mother's Day Ladies!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

I got home about an hour ago and we are getting a surprise rain. I’m glad and I’m hoping mom’s house is getting it too.

I re-painted the frame on the side garage door but I think it was long enough ago that the rain won’t hurt it. I wanted to do it on a day that I’d be there long enough to leave the door open while it dried. I’ll still need to do the part on the side where the door was open.

Since I would be there awhile I did some laundry. I’ve donated many of mom’s clothes (except for sentimental items) but there were a number of tops with stains from mom’s last six months. They are nice tops but I didn’t have much hope. Five of the seven came out clean. I’ll donate them now. Hate throwing items away so I may use the other two for “work in the yard” shirts even though they are too nice for that in a way.

I also did trimming and weeding in the back yard. Cleaned out grass that had infiltrated mom’s “rock garden” and trimmed the bougainvillea.

On the way to mom’s house I stopped at Target for a new handheld vac. I had been struggling with my old one for about a year. Decided on the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser with Lithium battery. I’ve always had Black and Decker in the past but reviews on the current models aren’t very good. I went to Target because I had gift cards. A few years ago Target had a deal on Black Friday to get up to $300 in gift cards at a 10% discount. I bought the $300 and still had some left. (They have done this same deal each year since sometime during the Christmas season.) Vac was $69.54 including tax and I used a $50, $10.66 (gift card from a return) and $8.88 on another card. I wasn’t sure if I could use a gift card for the tax but it worked. I still have a $50, $15 and $6.12 left on a card. I don’t shop at Target too often.

I started the day feeling very agitated but the work calmed me down. (Took an anxiety pill, too.)

I’ll read and maybe watch a movie on Prime tonight.

Hope Clem’s brother is better today. Still praying for Owned’s DH, too.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Hi - a bit of a late check-in. Still awfully cool but I'll take that any day over the terrible flooding, high winds and severe hail I saw on the news tonight. I went for an energizing walk this morning and went to the library in the afternoon. Borrowed a couple of cook books for meal time inspiration. I feel like we are falling into a rut.

I ended up making dijon mustard chicken thighs for the meat entree, sauteed red cabbage, brown rice and corn on the cob baked in foil. Dessert was the last of the tiramisu cake and fruit - yum, yum! We don't often eat sweets so you appreciate them all the more.

I also went with dh while he ran some errands - gassed up his car and then a trip to Canadian Tire (not exactly my favourite store!) But he wanted my company so I went anyway. It kind of feels like I got very little accomplished today.

Creative
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Hi, frugal. Today is our 33rd anniversary, so DH took the day off work and we celebrated by going to play pinball at an antique arcade/museum. We had not played pinball since college and it was such fun.

I also went to the Salvation Army thrift store while he took a nap. For $5, I got a big glass vase, a basket and an unopened bottle of Dr. Bronner's orange and lavender lotion. The basket, lotion and some free Penzey's spice mixes were combined to make a gift and I cut wildflowers from the yard for the vase.

Try as I might, I can't find thrift shop slacks that fit me, so I bit the bullet and ordered two pairs that I know will fit from Amazon. One pair had a $5.99 coupon, so that helped.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm Hi, frugal. Today is our 33rd anniversary, so DH took the day off work and we celebrated by going to play pinball at an antique arcade/museum. We had not played pinball since college and it was such fun.

I also went to the Salvation Army thrift store while he took a nap. For $5, I got a big glass vase, a basket and an unopened bottle of Dr. Bronner's orange and lavender lotion. The basket, lotion and some free Penzey's spice mixes were combined to make a gift and I cut wildflowers from the yard for the vase.

Try as I might, I can't find thrift shop slacks that fit me, so I bit the bullet and ordered two pairs that I know will fit from Amazon. One pair had a $5.99 coupon, so that helped.
Mackie Happy Anniversary to you and your DH. Glad you had a fun day playing pinball..

Great score on things from the Salvation army thrift store.
Janet Alliesmama