daily check in May 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

daily check in May 16, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: daily check in May 16, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

The cool front brought us cooler, drier weather. 68F this morning. I opened the windows and turned on the house fan. The house temperature dropped too 77F. That is very nice. As the day warms up, the cooler house temperature will buffer against the ac coming on.

Yesterday, the yard guy mowed the grass and trimmed. He did a pretty good job. Only thing was he wanted me to pay him before I got to look at the work. I was a bit annoyed at that. Well, I looked a bit anyways and it was ok. But I didn't like his attitude. But I can't do it myself with my bad knee. I urged him again to get his paperwork in order. If he wants to be a businessman, sending proposals, estimates etc is part of the job. It is free using email, but there is a lot of competition out there and a professional style helps.

I also called the handyman again regarding the several jobs we had agreed to. Left a message again.

Today is grocery store morning. I got an email that Winn-Dixie has their canned vegetables on sale. It is not in the regular ad. I have been waiting for this. I will drop in on the way down to Save a lot and see what they have. At 68c for chopped tomatoes with roasted garlic or jalapeños, it is cheaper than the same at my Walmart market. And we do use the canned in a variety of dishes. This weekend, WD has a great sale on eggs. Definitely, a drop in then. We eat a lot of eggs.

Today is also watering day because no rain and low humidity does not work with my garden. I dug up some volunteer flowers before the yard guy came. Put them in water overnight. Need to plant or pot them today. Maybe a few other garden things as the knee allows.

Hubs did the monthly financial report yesterday. Generally, it shows that we have lived within our income. We will discuss it today.

Today, I am grateful that the grass is mowed and I am not responsible for it this summer. Have a good day everyone.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hello All,

Not sure why my posting has been so intermittent. I am still obsessed with an internet site dedicated to Fan Fiction, stories centering on favorite characters from favorite books/Movies/TV, etc. I spend a lot of free time reading. I have not been watching much TV.

I texted with my girlfriend, she said her kid's spring sports season of done and wanted to get together. We are having lunch tomorrow. I am looking forward to it.

I have been eating at home to stay frugal. Of course Sunday I bought dinner for DS2 and myself. LOL. Then again, Mom and I bought groceries for lunch with DS1, DDIL and the DGSs. LOL!

Have a great day,
Maggie
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Up early but feel okay about it. I slept pretty good last night only up 2 times. I have a full schedule outside today. Storms expected this evening so I need stuff done. Because of all of the rain we have had I feel like I am really behind.

I need to finish mowing as soon as the heavy dew burns off, do some weeding, plant 5 tomatoes in barrels and various other things.

Roast going in the crockpot for supper, hoping to have enough leftover to make something else later in the weekend. Pot roast sandwiches ?

I have a feeling I will be buying a new battery for mower #2, not this week but soon. Oh well, if I have to at least I am able to. Trying hard not to take maintenance issues personally. LOL

DD's new kittens are really cute but very active, my cat does NOT like them...but they don't seem to care. They just keep agitating her and then they scamper away.
The hummingbirds are really working the feeders, by the end of summer I will be able to walk right past them and they will not mind, my moms favorite bird to watch.

Off to get started,
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Yes!!! I slept very well last night and woke up at my usual time this morning. I will be heading out in a couple of hours to do my shopping and the monthly prescription pick up for Hubby and myself. However, did wake up to the sound of the cat being sick. This is what happens when she decides that grass is a good thing to munch on.

This afternoon, I hope to be outside filling my pots in readiness to plant on the weekend (perhaps even starting tomorrow). The nights are still pretty cool, but I am hoping for nicer temperatures. That will be another goal crossed off the monthly goal list once done, and my yard will look nice for the rest of the spring/summer and part of the fall. I also need to go out and pull the little trees that are growing in the perennial bed. I did manage to pull about half of them a few days ago, but I need to stay right on this or we could be redoing the perennial bed once again.

Frugally speaking plant buying is not as inexpensive as last year and the only thing I can pinpoint is the redoing of the perennial bed. Still once it is completed the cost of replacement will be low, just a few annuals thrown in to give it colour for the whole season. I am trying to pick perennials that bloom at different times, but it seems like most bloom in spring and early summer.

I have made my lists up and will really be trying to stick with those lists. This month is spendy enough with yard items so spending on other things that are probably wants and not needs is being reined back (at least I hope). I am also following the "only shop at Walmart" once every two weeks and that seems to be working. It is a shop at Walmart week for pet supplies today. I may look at the clearance items in curtains to see if they have any sheers on sale. I am intrigued about making my own reusable produce bags. If not I may add a trip to the Salvation Army onto the list.

Meals as usual will be made here at home. The freezer is stuffed with meat and so we are still trying to eat it down. The only area that seems to get used up is ground meat, roasts and whole chickens. Still I would rather be ready for any unexpected events, than not.

I need to bake a loaf of bread today, so after filling pots and such I will get one started. Won't be finished until late, but I have enough for today.

Walking for my daily exercise as usual (not really losing any more weight so I will need to step it up, the cholesterol is not going down as quickly as at first either).

Supper tonight will be a package of frozen leftover turkey. I will probably make some type of stovetop casserole out of it. Youngest DS is coming home either tonight or tomorrow (must check which one) and that will be easy for him to heat up if it is tonight.

Today I am grateful that slowly but surely I am getting another room in the house cleaned up.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I slept pretty well last night.

I didn't even get up until almost 9. I would have like to have stayed in bed longer, but these pups think otherwise. I did let them out at 7, so i thought they would be good for more than 2 hours - but no.

I kind of feel exhausted. Just many things that i should take care of and i really don't feel like doing it. I want zero responsibilities. Good thing i didn't have kids! :lol:

I need to win the lottery.

And it isn't going to be a no spend day. I have to gas up my car, but wet pup food, and get some other items for a small event on Sunday. I volunteered to buy plates. So will be doing that today.

Have a good one.