Daily Check in May 17, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in May 17, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,
Let's get this Friday started!
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in May 17, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

I slept in a little bit. I heard a short thunderstorm about 5:30. Laundry is going. I am working on putting away clutter. I need to empty my shredder and shred more paper.

So I have 2 Graduation celebrations this weekend and another next weekend, so on my list is getting Graduation cards.

DS2 texted my yesterday that he should not be allowed to go to Jungle Jims (A specialty grocery store in Cincy) unsupervised. He had a few things to pick up for his Dad and ended up getting $20 worth of specialty sodas. I worry that he does not have a steady job this summer.

Have a great day,
Maggie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. We finally have a break in the weather. It is (71 F ) (21 C) and will warm up in to the 90's about (32. C) this afternoon.It was so warm yesterday afternoon I had to turn the A/C on to get the humidity out of the house. I was comfortable after closing the windows and doors and then ran the A/C for a short time and used ceiling fans to keep it comfortable.

My brother was able to get out of his house the day before yesterday. He was trapped in his home for 12 days due to the Mississippi river flooding the river road in front of his house. Thank goodness he did have enough food in the house to keep him from going hungry. He said IDOT picked up drift wood one day and big trucks with blades has been scraping mud off of the road for the last two days. There are still areas that are under water and the road is open only to local traffic. This is really affecting some of the little towns that rely on tourist.. My thing is my brother never anticipated the river road ever being flooded when he moved there. I asked him about it but he said not a problem. Well he was wrong.. It is always good to have a stockpile of food since you never know when something can go wrong.

I did a little yard work yesterday early evening. I made a quick tour of the grounds and I definitely will not have even one peach this year. The apples are doing ok as is the pear tree. I will also be able to pick mulberries and I think choke cherries. Not sure about a Spring garden due to the ground being so wet. However thinking of a Fall garden. Food prices are going to be to be affected by the weather.

Have a good and frugal day.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

For the first time in a very long time (well about 4 days) the furnace came on to take off the chill in the house. I am really glad I have not planted my flowers as of yet. Pretty scary that the night temperatures are almost down to freezing still. I may just hold off awhile longer on the planting front. Though it is getting pretty darn late.

Youngest DS did not arrive home last night so I am kind of expecting him home tonight at some point. The two men will more than likely go fishing tomorrow, and I will either sew or sandwich some quilts ready for sewing.

Today will be the usual Friday. After my sleeping in this morning and taking my pill (have to wait a few more minutes for my first cup of coffee and my fingers keep stumbling on the keyboard) I will walk on the treadmill. Then it is up to get all those pesky Friday household chores accomplished.

I plan on filling all my pots today so at least that will be done in readiness to plant. Then I will pull a few (okay all remaining) pesky tree seedlings out of the perennial bed for the third time already. I am hoping that my back does not bother me after all the bending. I may just sit on a small chair to do the work.

Frugally speaking I will not be spending any cash at all today. Spending is complete for the next few days.

I looked around Walmart to see if there were any on sale sheers and there wasn't. I may have to make a trip later in the week to the Salvation Army or keep an eye out on the garage sale sites. I really want to try my hand at making those reusable produce bags.

Meals will be made with what is on hand and following the monthly menu I make. Lunches will be leftovers for Hubby and I (there is some salad calling my name, which along with some tuna will fill me up nicely).

Supper tonight is fish and chips. I usually do salmon fillets for the fish portion and make my own fries (the air fryer works wonderfully for this purpose). I even have the ingredients to make coleslaw (will have to make my own dressing).

Today I am grateful for the sunshine even though it is chilly.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Today my water heater is scheduled to be installed. Tomorrow is the washer.

I have a Dr’s appointment this morning at 10:30. I am being picked up at 10. I always tell them 15 minutes before my appointment. This Dr’s office is just behind my building.

I have moved everything from my laundry closet except for the extra shelf. I can’t reach that. To the best of my knowledge it just rests on that shelf.

Penny
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

HELLO FRIENDS,

TGIF!! Today's subbing is at high school with mostly senior students, so they are working to complete everything before they graduate.
I will only Sub 3 days next week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday), one at each middle school, and Wed will be at High school for ds16's chemistry teacher. He doesn't know it yet. :D

It's rainy outside, and I'm happy with it as long as it doesn't snow in Mtns-- I NEED the snow to MELT and the spring run-off to happen NOW!! (So we don't Have to use the sandbags we've worked so hard to fill.)

I finished my 3-strand knitted hat during last class period, now with weariness pushing down hard, I think I'l start another just to see if I can stay awake.

Dinner tonight will be leftovers for Girls & I, and Dh & boys will be at their church camping trip (thank goodness for hard-sided travel trailers, as I think they're going to get wet!).

I hope to get to bed early tonight too, as we'll need to wake up early tomorrow to get on road to our 10am appointment at the Fiberworks. Plus I just want a NAP!!

My allergies are going crazy, I need to stock up on severe allergy relief pills (I use generic Tylenol Severe Allergy), and to buy more local honey. Together they help me through the worst of it.

I had hoped to plant more in my veg garden but this rain is making mud of my garden soil, and I will need to wait for it to dry out.. plus will probably need to till it again, before planting. I next want to plant 48-60 tomato seedlings in 4 rows, then 2 rows of peppers (bell & jalapeno), then green beans (pole), then corn, then all my vining plants (squashes, cucumbers, watermelon for dd6, etc).

Today I'm thankful for allergy meds, umbrellas, and cozy blankets. Oh and for drop spindles & knitting needles & yarn!
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Fri May 17, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.