Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackie interesting factoid about Canadian bacon. Wonder how come it is called Canadian in the US? I will have to look in to this.

I was so busy yesterday making food for today, then going outside to trim a few branches, and doing things in the basement I forgot about making my dinner..lol. I had extra hard boiled eggs so used two of them to make egg salad. I added some pickled jalapeno peppers to give it some zip. Used Truiscut crackers from Big Lots. They are cheaper there. Also they are made with white whole wheat and it is one of the domestic flours that I can eat and not have a reaction to. Added some sliced peaches and was satisfied.

This morning had fresh coffee with the last of my half and half...sniff..sniff out on my deck.. Also ate the last of my store bought peaches with the last of the cottage cheese from one container. Have some left in another one. All bought on sale. It was so lovely to be out on my deck for a change. With the recent storms and monsoon rains have not had a chance to go out there and enjoy it. I tried it yesterday and a few minutes after I sat down the rain drops started.

Years ago when we received some kind of money stimulus from the government my brother talked me in to buying some pine trees to plant along the property line. He said it would give me more privacy.. We bought the trees from a tree farm not far from here and my brother planted them.. They are now huge and make a nice shield from my nearest neighbor. Although her house is still far enough away to give me some privacy this does make it possible to enjoy sitting outside in my night gown. There is a wooded area in the back on the last half acre of my property and then there are trees on my brother's property that give me privacy from the occasional road traffic. I am thrilled my brother told me the front acreage is not included in the sale of his farm. It was bought separately when he bought the acreage that my house sits on. So I feel really content in my little slice of heaven. I am off to get my roast in the crock pot and to make tuna fish salad for my lunch.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I cooked my little pork roast and it came out nicely. This is only the third time I have cooked a pork roast. The first time my sister was visiting and talked me through it. I had bought it since she and her DD liked pork roasts. The second time it was a marinaded roast and I just followed the instructions on the package...lol. Anyway it was small and it cost only $3.83 plus tax. I measured out 4 oz to make BBQ pork sandwiches. Was going to allow 2 oz per sandwich but after adding the sauce decided that I could get three sandwiches out of the 4 oz. I weighted the remainder of the meat and it is 2.5 oz. I froze it for using with something later on. Also gave Teddi a small handful while I was shredding.

The bills are rolling in from the poison ivy debacle. Utility bill was up about $20.00 due to having to launder everything 3 times in hot water and used my dryer due to the volume and the stormy cold weather things would not dry on the clotheslines. My water bill was about $25.00 more than the last two months but I had cut that bill down by making some changes. However it only went about $12.00 over my budget so that is good. Hope to be able to get back to the lower amount this month.

Then the other day the reality check from my Insurance company arrived. They raised the premiums on my house insurance due to the roof replacement. I will have to find my paperwork from last year but it is around $300.00 +. It was expected due to my claim. However in the over all picture I think I am still ahead. The premiums I have paid them since they became my insurance company does not amount to what they are paying for the roof replacement. Also the raise is ok since it still does not equal yet what they are paying for the replacement. So to me it is fair. They are in the business to make money but to me it is not that bad especially compared to the other company I had before them. I will just have to do more shuffling around and cutting back somewhere.
I had set a goal of X amount of money to be earned each month to pay for my trip to my nephews wedding next year.. I only need .05 cents for this month. I go to a site that literally pays you in small change after playing games. I told my aide yesterday I remember years ago that the .11 cents I needed the other day was chump change and now it is a goal...lol...Sad but true and yet I am loving the challenge.

I have been doing well using up my food. Will not bore you with details but I am not letting anything go to waste.

Edited to correct the cost of the pork roast was $ 2.88. Had it mixed up with the cost of the small beef roast I bought the other day. So it is a much bigger bargain that I thought.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Fri May 31, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

You don't bore me. You inspire me to do better and waste less.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:49 am You don't bore me. You inspire me to do better and waste less.
Thanks Dg.. I admire how you do your gardening and things around the house too. I guess we are a mutual admiration society.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Well another month bites the dust. I did spend money on a few things that were not planned on but will be very helpful in the long run. I bought an Ecoegg to do laundry. I bought it from HSN. With S&H and taxes it came to $39.79. It comes with two different eggs one for white and one for colored and dark clothing. It is used in place of laundry detergent. You can use it in any kind of machine as well as hand washing. This kit is suppose to last for around 720 washings over a three year period.. They also sent some tablets that you use about every 6 months to clean you washing machine. I got the fragrance free kit. Some people stated it did not work but over all it has fantastic reviews. It is environmentally friendly.Just thinking of not having to lug large bottles of detergent home makes me happy. Plus not having to buy any detergent for 3 years is a big savings. I also bought a rechargeable electric broom/ sweeper from QVC. I have a lot of difficulty due to medical problems and this is lightweight and goes easily into small areas on carpeting,wood, and tile. I am excited to use this since there are areas it is difficult to get to with my regular vacuum. Cannot remember how much this cost but but it was around $30.00 plus tax and S&H. I like that HSN and QVC offer a lot of their products on split payments and no interest charged. I do not have a credit card just a debit card.

One of our local grocery stores gives rewards for purchases. It also has electronic coupons. I thought you had to have a cell phone to get them at check out but you can go to their site on your computer or cellphone and "clip" a coupon. When you put in your pin at the check out and have bought the product it will automatically take off the coupon without a cell phone. I am thrilled since sometimes they have really good offers on produce. The store is rather pricey for most of their products but if I buy their loss leader's and mark downs and get rewards it is worth it. Today I bought two of their rotisserie chickens. They are marked down to $4.99 for Friday and Saturday only. I am going to strip the meat and then measure the meat in portion size and package them for the freezer. Also they had some BOGO on other items so that was a bargain too. I also found some organic butter marked down to a good price. That is one reason I like to do my own shopping to see where I can grab a bargain. Today I made several stops at various stores and did a minor stock up to get me through June.

I made the goal that I had set for each month to save the money for my nephew's wedding next year. I plan on using money made on line through various sites. It was a bit easy this month since I had already accumulated some money before I made the decision so June will be more of a challenge. I love challenges so this is going to be fun..
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Janet, I have to agree that the details of your "frugaling" are inspiring NOT boring! A new month...I am not grocery shopping due to a work trip this coming week and my cupboards are "almost" bare - but I can get by until I get back on Thursday. In fact I"m looking forward to some oatmeal banana pancakes later today and will make extra to freeze.

I have taken a SEASONAL second job at a local camp ground. I will get about 20 hours a week, mostly on weekends. Will be doing some office work, some work in the general store and some craft activities with kids each Saturday and Sunday. This will go until October. Not a lot of hours (20 is more than enough!!) and there is an end in sight and it should be very enjoyable. My training starts June 10 (I told them I have to be away for work next week) and the pay is decent so I'm excited. All the money I make from the second job will go into an emergency fund because mine is EMPTY at the moment - with the exception of a stock-up of food and household items.

Looking forward to the work trip even though it will cost me $80 for dog boarding - it is still nice to get away and it's all expenses paid - hotel, meals, transportation - plus use of the hotel's pool, gym, WIFI, etc. If I have to go I might as well look on the bright side.

Off I go - Library closing in 20 minutes. Take care.