Daily check in May 30, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in May 30, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning. Lets get started.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily check in May 30, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning,

My area is still under a water boil order. The tornadoes took out electricity (and back-up) to both water treatment plants. The South on was restored quickly, so no shortage in my area, but we were under a conservation order. More of a pain than anything else.

DS2 called me very excited yesterday. He has been asked to participate in a local Percussion festival by playing a Marimba Solo for a master class. He will be the example and the "Master" critiques his playing. He reached out to the Festival organizers and volunteered his service. He is quite the networker.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

Another hot, rain free day in Florida. This morning while it is cool, I want to do my trip to the bulk food place. I save money, get fresher nuts, and bring my own containers which means I do not add more plastic bags to the environment.

Yard guy came yesterday and mowed. Things look good. The grass wasn't that high, but some of the weeds had bolted and the yard looked ratty. I had hoped he would get a little more trimming in one area, but instead he focused on another. I am ok with that. Both needed work. I moved a few more big potted plants to the mulched, irrigation areas. I am doing that to give them "cool feet" in this heat. Lifting the pots is not nice to my bad knee. I had trouble getting to sleep because of the pain. So I did some repair sewing sitting in bed. I was pleased that I could thread the needle as easily as I did. I consider it evidence of my improving wet macular degeneration. I will need to think about additional hand sewing projects since this bad knee will be with me a long time.

Eggs are on sale again this week. Aldi's has them on sale and so does Winn-Dixie. Hubs has a doctor appointment tomorrow and we pass Aldi's on the way. So I will get eggs there and then a few days later, eggs at Winn Dixie. Ground beef is not on sale and hasn't been for quite awhile. So I am making more meals with eggs right now. Fish meals are also in the plan. I did get skinless, boneless chicken breasts on sale last week and froze them.

Hubs decided that we needed to get a "stand alone" computer. Neither our printer or scanner works well with the new software. He has ordered a refurbished one loaded with an older operating system more suitable to the equipment. Very cheap. Not hooked to the internet either. He wants to move our financial data to it since it will be safer. I am good with that. Things to be printed, etc will be moved via thumb drive. This technique was once called "sneaker net". What a cute name.

I have been wanting a backsplash for the kitchen. But I have not liked what was out there and honestly, the kitchen is showing its age. I have been putting off getting a backsplash installed since I will be changing the color in the kitchen eventually. I also want a kitchen design more suitable for a wheelchair. As I was strolling through Lowe's Tuesday, waiting for a call to pick him up from the dentist, I realized that I could put self stick floor tiles on the wall to act as a temporary backsplash. Easy to clean, cheap and pretty attractive. I called the handyman and will discuss it with him when he calls back. The painted wall just never cleans well anymore.

Today, I am grateful that the grass is mowed. Have a good day everyone. Be safe.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

mbrudnic wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 am Good morning,

My area is still under a water boil order. The tornadoes took out electricity (and back-up) to both water treatment plants. The South on was restored quickly, so no shortage in my area, but we were under a conservation order. More of a pain than anything else.

DS2 called me very excited yesterday. He has been asked to participate in a local Percussion festival by playing a Marimba Solo for a master class. He will be the example and the "Master" critiques his playing. He reached out to the Festival organizers and volunteered his service. He is quite the networker.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie congrats to your DS2.
Janet Alliesmama
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Weather in this part of the country is around mid to high 70s, but rain is forecasted in 5 out of 7 days. Guess we need the rain too.

Well I went to see "The Hustle" yesterday and actually the only ones who get hustled are the ones who bought a ticket to see it . . . LOL. It was supposed to be a comedy but it was more pathetic than anything else. About 3/4s of the way through I kept wishing I could see the time left like you can on a tv because I couldn't wait for it to be over. This theater's last day is today; they will be closing permanently and with it the last of the theaters that offered senior pricing days. I personally can't see spending more than $8 for a movie, especially since I pay for the next to highest cable package already. The rest of the movies here are now $10 a ticket and up and it's about a half hour drive to get to any of them.

Later today I will be attending a free event at the hospital. They will be playing the "Price is Right" with opportunities to win small prizes and afterwards there will be food and a meet and greet with some of the hospitals doctors. I went to a similar one last year and it was a lot of fun.

There's another "frugal" site that I go to periodically for which I've subscribed to their You Tube videos. While they started out as being helpful (and yes, they still are in some ways), the one making these videos has become quite brash in her tone. She stands in front of the camera, shaking her head back and forth with this snooty puss face and says "don't whine to me if you live in a high priced state - that's YOUR choice, MOVE; don't cry to me that you can't get good grocery prices in your area. I looked on the internet and you can, YOU just DON'T WANT TO or you just don't want to drive 70 miles to get the lower prices like we did when we lived in Colorado; my mother a single mom raised two of us on $500 a month but what they don't say is that this was back in the late 70s; or you don't want to do what you have to do get lower prices so don't complain to me; yada, yada, yada." This type of behavior truly bothers me to no end. I have no clue as to how she still manages to sell her products with this kind of rudeness. I don't know why I continue to watch it but I suppose I keep thinking I'm going to learn something I don't already know and yet in thinking about it the last several videos she's stressed the same points over and over and over again.

I do have to think about cutting back in my miscellanous area. I've not done any of the things I was hoping to do around the apartment but have overspent on this and that. Of course, the "housewarming gift" I gave my sister didn't help either. I'm also not too confident about where the stock market is headed right now either so tightening up the belt a little surely couldn't hurt.

Well, off to do some menu planning. Have a great day!
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ....
Raining again here, and we have rain predicted for the weekend. My garden plants will need life preservers at this rate.

DG, good idea on the floor tiles, considering they come in so many styles now. We used self-stick backplash tiles (though they didn't stick very well ... had to use glue).

Nothing major going on here ... was moved to another project in my "summer job", but that's not going well, so not sure how much longer I will or can stick with it. Ah, well.

Otherwise, just trying to catch up on stuff ... or stay even.