Daily check in May 30, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Daily check in May 30, 2019

Post by rinty »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am Rinty, I’m glad that you had fun on your camping trip.

I watched the European Parliament election returns on Sky and also France 24. (Yes, I’m a nerd.) Happy to see the Greens do well in many parts of the EU and also the UK. I detest Nigel Farage (from what I know). Such an opportunist. Boris Johnson the same. I think Jeremy Corbyn is far too left wing but I cheered when he said screw it to the Trump state dinner (poor Charles, William, HM and the rest). Sajid Javid, interesting. I believe he is the Home Secretary (?) and don’t know much else. I think you favor a no- deal Brexit and to me it seems chances are much better that that is how things will end up. I can’t see a new PM getting a deal from the EU that is much different from Theresa May’s deal. Who knows if it is good or bad for the economy long term. At least that is my take from watching Sky.

Cool, I get to talk politics ! ;)

Personally, no matter what I want, I reckon BREXIT is dead......there is no way on EARTH that Parliament is going to let us leave, be it that idiot Speaker coming up with 300 yr old laws to the REmoaners claiming they won the European elections (EH?????)

Perhaps they will sit Trump next to Camilla ? I'd like that for both of them :ugeek: ;)

There is no way they will be able to negotiate any deal, there won't be time, they'll run the clock down and then will say " Aw gee whiz, we'll just have to revoke ARTICLE 50 , BREXIT is cancelled "

At which point Nigels Protest Vote Brexit party will stage a Coup. It is like living in a banana republic. I was proud of Nigel, he has had ONE aim. Brexit. We won, they should have delivered BREXIT, they refuse.

I miss democracy.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

rinty wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:44 pm Cool, I get to talk politics ! ;)

Personally, no matter what I want, I reckon BREXIT is dead......there is no way on EARTH that Parliament is going to let us leave, be it that idiot Speaker coming up with 300 yr old laws to the REmoaners claiming they won the European elections (EH?????)

Perhaps they will sit Trump next to Camilla ? I'd like that for both of them :ugeek: ;)

There is no way they will be able to negotiate any deal, there won't be time, they'll run the clock down and then will say " Aw gee whiz, we'll just have to revoke ARTICLE 50 , BREXIT is cancelled "

At which point Nigels Protest Vote Brexit party will stage a Coup. It is like living in a banana republic. I was proud of Nigel, he has had ONE aim. Brexit. We won, they should have delivered BREXIT, they refuse.

I miss democracy.
Just lost my whole post. 😩

So you really think Parliament will kill Brexit by revoking Article 50. Maybe so. I heard Philip Hammond today. Seems like so many of the PM candidates are open to a no-deal Brexit, however. You are right that there isn’t much time. If there’s no Brexit, the Conservative Party is dead if it isn’t already. I can’t see myself ever feeling good about Farage. You are on the front line and I’m over here so I only get a filtered view.

Meanwhile here in the colonies ... As my friend says, this is not the country we thought it was. I’ve decided not to care and have as much fun as I can until the U.S. implodes.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Jackielou wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:40 am Good for him. How is his summer job hunt going?
He;s not hunting. But this opportunity is a result of his networking. He is getting paid for the community musical and he'll be paid for assisting for the week at a band camp. He is hoping to work the desk in the dorm when he goes back to school.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I didn't do as much as i planned today. It is my day off, so that is okay. Didn't clean the fridge for example

I did gas up my car!

As for AC - still haven't turned ours on. And it isn't that bad. It has been nice and breezy. Its nice having the windows open. It feels weird to go to public buildings and feel how cold they have them. Our library is at about 68 degrees!

I need to get our system serviced. This house was the first one in town to have central air and i swear it has always been cursed. I was going to install a new system this year. It would have been the third! See how bad it is. Then i think - maybe i should just do window units? If it wasn't for the COD and pets - I'd try to go all summer without AC!

We never had it growing up at home or school. I used to need it, but now i guess i am mellowing in my old age. I can't wait until i am really old and 90 degrees is downright chilly!

Have a great evening.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Evening Frugal Friends,

Another month is coming to an end and it has flown for me. As you know I spent two weeks at Mr. B's house and it flew by. We had a great time, went to a dance with one of his friends and his lady friend, which was also a pot-luck. I made baked beans to take and there wasn't a smidgen left. Made me feel good that everyone loved them.

He dragged me to the gym every morning and kept his house so cold until I thought I was in Iceland. I've gotten so cold-natured since going on this dratted blood thinner. Last summer when I was there and not on the blood-thinner I was fine. I spent as much time on the front porch as I could and I did have the foresight to take a sweater, so he wouldn't be miserable. He would have turned it up for me if I had asked him to. That old saying is you can add layers to keep warm, but it's hard to take enough clothes off to get cool is very true.

The daughter also goes to the gym and she meets 2 of her girlfriends there every morning. She was actually very friendly to me in front of them so it was a pleasant experience. He thinks she's softening towards me, and I hope for his sake she is, but I honestly don't care. He and that sweet dog love me and I'm good with that. His dog follows me every step I take, sleeps with me, and will not go into the daughters house unless I get out of the car. She will come and stand beside the passenger door and if they try to come after her to get her inside, she's runs from both of them. He and I think it's hilarious, I am not sure how funny she thinks it is. LOL If we are going to be gone for several hours he takes her to the daughters house.

I didn't have a lot of dirty clothes to bring home, but what I did have I washed today. My house was clean when I left, so not a lot of house cleaning is needed. I plan to spend the day tomorrow in my yard trimming the hedges and my Azaleas. I will get up early before it gets to hot.

Hope everyone is having a great summer and I still have to catch up with reading the board. The only thing so far that I've read that is bad is about Owned's husband and Janet's brother being trapped at his home by the flood waters.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:54 pm Good Evening Frugal Friends,

Another month is coming to an end and it has flown for me. As you know I spent two weeks at Mr. B's house and it flew by. We had a great time, went to a dance with one of his friends and his lady friend, which was also a pot-luck. I made baked beans to take and there wasn't a smidgen left. Made me feel good that everyone loved them.

He dragged me to the gym every morning and kept his house so cold until I thought I was in Iceland. I've gotten so cold-natured since going on this dratted blood thinner. Last summer when I was there and not on the blood-thinner I was fine. I spent as much time on the front porch as I could and I did have the foresight to take a sweater, so he wouldn't be miserable. He would have turned it up for me if I had asked him to. That old saying is you can add layers to keep warm, but it's hard to take enough clothes off to get cool is very true.

The daughter also goes to the gym and she meets 2 of her girlfriends there every morning. She was actually very friendly to me in front of them so it was a pleasant experience. He thinks she's softening towards me, and I hope for his sake she is, but I honestly don't care. He and that sweet dog love me and I'm good with that. His dog follows me every step I take, sleeps with me, and will not go into the daughters house unless I get out of the car. She will come and stand beside the passenger door and if they try to come after her to get her inside, she's runs from both of them. He and I think it's hilarious, I am not sure how funny she thinks it is. LOL If we are going to be gone for several hours he takes her to the daughters house.

I didn't have a lot of dirty clothes to bring home, but what I did have I washed today. My house was clean when I left, so not a lot of house cleaning is needed. I plan to spend the day tomorrow in my yard trimming the hedges and my Azaleas. I will get up early before it gets to hot.

Hope everyone is having a great summer and I still have to catch up with reading the board. The only thing so far that I've read that is bad is about Owned's husband and Janet's brother being trapped at his home by the flood waters.
Libby glad you had a nice time at Mr B's house. It is cute and funny about his dog preferring you.. Dogs have their own little personalities and their likes and dislikes. I hope his daughter is softening but like you said you do not care. Good to see you posting again. I was getting concerned..

Yes my brother said he might be trapped until July. I thought he might be overestimating but on the news tonight a little village up the road from him, which is very quaint, said they were hoping the water would recede by the Fourth of July. The village depends on tourist for a lot of business and they are really hurting.
Janet Alliesmama