Daily check in June 8, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily check in June 8, 2019

Post by MackerelCat »

Good afternoon, frugal ones. I am on vacation and don't have to go back to work until June 17. I am positively giddy!

Slept in the past two days and yesterday popped in to see my single mom friend and give her a bag of summer clothes for her four year old. The thrift shop saints smiled on us and I found enjoy nice clothes for eight outfits.

DH has time off with me, and there is a lot of stuff we need to do around the house, so we are having a staycation and may go do one touristy thing around town.The need to clean out the garage, clear the backyard jungle, and wash the house windows is greater than a trip away!

Today is laundry and grocery shopping day. Got the groceries done, and part of the laundry. Need to finish my laundry and then putter in the kitchen, as it is too rainy to work outside.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good afternoon. I had to jump in my clothes early this morning and drive two towns over to pick up my niece. Then drive her to another town to get contacts. Her last contact tore this morning and her husband was gone with their son to a ball game and she is blind as a bat without her contacts. By the time we got home I was wiped out.

Talked to my brother on the phone about things. We lost contact about 4 times due to his home cell phone dropping him. We are not sure if it has anything to do with the flooding but I personally will keep a landline forever since where I live you can not get cell phone reception in certain areas of my house and sometimes not at all. AT&T was talking about doing away with land line telephones in IL. What the heck.. AARP was getting involved to try to block that.

So far today we have not had rain here but it was expected. The farmer who rents my brothers farm land was out last night at 10:00 PM doing something either plowing or planting. We are at a higher elevation than the poor farmers at the lower levels so maybe he might be able to get a crop in. Not sure what. My brother said once the river crests it might take 3 to 4 months for the water to recede so no planting. Saw a blip that the peach crop in lower Michigan was wiped out by the polar vortex so no peaches. The same thing happened to my peaches here. I have seen 3 tiny little peaches and I have three trees that use to produce a ton of peaches. My brother explained that there is a path out of his area but the circumstances are so rough you would have to be an athlete to use it. Some of the male neighbors have done some work on it with making steps in the hill side, installing sandbags to make steps putting ropes along the side to help pull yourself up the steep grade that is just a few of the things they have to do. Plus walk through a swampy area and there are snakes... For now they can use the boat that their friend towed in to them. However once the water goes down at the creek it will take longer for the river to go down and the only way out is through the steep trail.. Yikes! They are in their 70's and both of them have significant medical problems.. Feel sorry for them. This house cost half a million dollars and they are living like homesteader carrying their food in and out by boat. Their neighbor next door to their farm said she would move back to the farm if it were her. They still have their appliances and a kitchen table there and their utilities are still hooked up. I would go to Rent a Center and get a few things and it would be better than living like they are.
Janet Alliesmama
rinty

Post by rinty »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 pm Good afternoon, frugal ones. I am on vacation and don't have to go back to work until June 17. I am positively giddy!

Slept in the past two days and yesterday popped in to see my single mom friend and give her a bag of summer clothes for her four year old. The thrift shop saints smiled on us and I found enjoy nice clothes for eight outfits.

DH has time off with me, and there is a lot of stuff we need to do around the house, so we are having a staycation and may go do one touristy thing around town.The need to clean out the garage, clear the backyard jungle, and wash the house windows is greater than a trip away!

Today is laundry and grocery shopping day. Got the groceries done, and part of the laundry. Need to finish my laundry and then putter in the kitchen, as it is too rainy to work outside.

Mackie if anyone deserves a vacation its you ! Have a fab time, maybe lunch and couple time, I'd also tell you to turn off EVERYTHING social media wise ( even us !!!) so you can chill properly. ;)

Not the best weekend ever. Don't know why really. There is some DS paperwork which always gets on my nerves, theres financial stuff ( not for him ) which is also pending which I thought I had sent them but apparently they want yet more. Finally there is the work situation where it looks like favourites will carry off plum roles. ( And favourites tend to be lazy imbeciles , lets face it :shock: )

The fact that I don't "need "to work is often mentioned to me.

Correct !!! But its my choice, yes ? If I was a passenger ( someone taking up space ) then fair enough. Oh, well. I'll still enjoy whatever I get.

DH is doing stuff I wouldn't be prioritising so I am letting him get on with that. I have stuff that needs doing but I don't want to..........( honest, aren't I ?) It'll get done eventually, no reason why I should trouble myself with it now.

I will prepare food of some kind but have no real interest in cooking. DH has recognised this and has offered to make one of his flatbreads. Good man !

He shopped when I was at work ( thank you) but it does mean I have to work with his version of what we needed so I am still meal-planning for the week without the things I had actually put in the list he didn't use !

Off to bustle about in the garden which I want to do.

Prayers ongoing for JCKitty that extended family are supportive and that she can lay her dad to rest in peace. ((((hugs))) go out to you, JCKItty .

LOok after yourselves , guys.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:21 am Mackie if anyone deserves a vacation its you ! Have a fab time, maybe lunch and couple time, I'd also tell you to turn off EVERYTHING social media wise ( even us !!!) so you can chill properly. ;)

Not the best weekend ever. Don't know why really. There is some DS paperwork which always gets on my nerves, theres financial stuff ( not for him ) which is also pending which I thought I had sent them but apparently they want yet more. Finally there is the work situation where it looks like favourites will carry off plum roles. ( And favourites tend to be lazy imbeciles , lets face it :shock: )

The fact that I don't "need "to work is often mentioned to me.

Correct !!! But its my choice, yes ? If I was a passenger ( someone taking up space ) then fair enough. Oh, well. I'll still enjoy whatever I get.

DH is doing stuff I wouldn't be prioritising so I am letting him get on with that. I have stuff that needs doing but I don't want to..........( honest, aren't I ?) It'll get done eventually, no reason why I should trouble myself with it now.

I will prepare food of some kind but have no real interest in cooking. DH has recognised this and has offered to make one of his flatbreads. Good man !

He shopped when I was at work ( thank you) but it does mean I have to work with his version of what we needed so I am still meal-planning for the week without the things I had actually put in the list he didn't use !

Off to bustle about in the garden which I want to do.

Prayers ongoing for JCKitty that extended family are supportive and that she can lay her dad to rest in peace. ((((hugs))) go out to you, JCKItty .

LOok after yourselves , guys.
After working in a school system for so many years I quite agree with you. Plum positions usually go to the favourites, or the ones that suck up the most. Hang in there Rinty.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

Seriously , Jackie, isn't it sickening ????

They are the ones that beat a path to the door BEGGING, its pathetic.

I would be offended , no that's a bit strong, I would feel "slighted ". ;)

WE're helping out the kids with "stuff", and I am trying to get DH to see that we don't need the love the kids with gifts anymore, thats where my wages go. And my secret stash , of course ;)

DD mentioned us accompanying them on holiday in 2020 to the USA, now I'll admit that did tempt me and that would be worth working and stashing the cash for ...........it would be Disney :shock: which leaves me cold but I have never been to Florida. I whimpered a bit about alligators and DGD5 told me I was being a "wuss".............
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:56 am After working in a school system for so many years I quite agree with you. Plum positions usually go to the favourites, or the ones that suck up the most. Hang in there Rinty.
I honestly thought that it was weird when i was told that if i ever wanted a job at our local school, it was mine!

yes - I had relatives that worked there for many years, but really?

Shouldn't they check my background, ask questions about my qualifications etc.?