Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2Still

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet- sorry to hear you are not sleeping well, and that Teddi is not feeling his usual chipper self. I will pray that it is not anything too serious (or expensive). Make sure you take care of yourself too.

I went grocery shopping today. I had a $5.00 coupon off $30.00 for Aldi- they just remodeled ours and sent coupons for their grand opening. My friend gave me hers too, so I will probably go back before it expires on the 26th. I will use it for mostly pet supplies- cat food, and extra cat litter. Maybe salad items and milk. I doubt I will need much of anything else before the beginning of next month. I did not buy any fresh veggies other than salad items and garlic, but I did buy a lot of fruit. I have several pkgs. of frozen veggies that need using, so I will have some of those along with the fresh fruit as sides with my meals, and some of the fruit I will put into smoothies. The total was not bad, but a little more than I had planned. I did pick up my hurricane supplies, so that did add to the total.

I finished off the rest of the salsa chicken tonight and the rice. I cooked a pkg. of stir-fry veggies that had a sauce to use with them. It was okay, but I will jazz it up a little tomorrow and have it over fresh rice or quinoa. I just used it as a side with my dinner tonight.

Other than my errands, I did not get a lot accomplished today, but have been doing very well on my summer to-do list. Well, off to read.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 pm Janet- sorry to hear you are not sleeping well, and that Teddi is not feeling his usual chipper self. I will pray that it is not anything too serious (or expensive). Make sure you take care of yourself too.

I went grocery shopping today. I had a $5.00 coupon off $30.00 for Aldi- they just remodeled ours and sent coupons for their grand opening. My friend gave me hers too, so I will probably go back before it expires on the 26th. I will use it for mostly pet supplies- cat food, and extra cat litter. Maybe salad items and milk. I doubt I will need much of anything else before the beginning of next month. I did not buy any fresh veggies other than salad items and garlic, but I did buy a lot of fruit. I have several pkgs. of frozen veggies that need using, so I will have some of those along with the fresh fruit as sides with my meals, and some of the fruit I will put into smoothies. The total was not bad, but a little more than I had planned. I did pick up my hurricane supplies, so that did add to the total.

I finished off the rest of the salsa chicken tonight and the rice. I cooked a pkg. of stir-fry veggies that had a sauce to use with them. It was okay, but I will jazz it up a little tomorrow and have it over fresh rice or quinoa. I just used it as a side with my dinner tonight.

Other than my errands, I did not get a lot accomplished today, but have been doing very well on my summer to-do list. Well, off to read.
Momof2 Good to hear from you. Glad you were able to get some coupons for Aldi's. That is a nice surprise. I think we had a similar thing here a while back. Wish they would offer it more often but I guess with their low prices it would take away a lot from their profit. margin.

I do not think I could handle going through a hurricane.. Have you been in one before? We have tornadoes and snow storms here and I try to have emergency supplies on hand for that. I guess no where you live is without some kind of possible dangerous situation?

Keep up the good work but enjoy the summer too.

Teddi seems better right now. I hope he continues to improve.
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Plogging along here. I have taken a second job working just 4 hours a week stocking magazines and books at a big grocery store about a block from my house. I can do the job anytime from 5:00 p.m. on Friday to 1:00 p.m. on Saturday. It's not a lot of hours or a lot of money but it's EASY and no transportation costs, etc. and it will easily pay for my groceries and then some! I turned down a job working 20 hours a week at a local camp ground - it would have been more money but was a 5 mile each way commute plus all that extra time away from home, dogs and activities I enjoy. I think my time is better spent staying home and cooking from scratch, walking my dogs, etc.

Speaking of the dogs, it cost me $80 for boarding for Hope a couple weeks ago and she came home with a nasty ear infection (result of an allergy, not her stay at the boarding facility, according to the Vet) and that cost $127 for a steroid shot, ear drops and physical exam. She's worth it - she is such a LOVE! Janet, I hope Teddi and you are doing better!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Shiela I do hope that your Hope is doing better with her ear infection. You are right they are worth the money.
Making extra money is always nice but being home with your fur babies is a good thing. My home is my sanctuary and gives me comfort and the peace that I need. I know you feel the same way. Cooking from scratch is a really good way to save money and the 4 hours a week of work will pay for your groceries so it does sound like the better way to go. Enjoy the week-ends with your fur babies at home..
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet- yes, I have been through a couple of hurricanes. I would not stay for a cat 4 or 5, but where I am located, I feel perfectly safe for the cat 1, 2, and 3. There are several barrier islands between the ocean and my home. I live in a zone that does not flood (or hasn’t so far) in a condo that has other condos on either side of me (attached) and above me. I feel very safe, and I would rather be in my familiar home than away at an unfamiliar place. Many times, the places I would evacuate to have severe storms from the hurricanes. Now if a cat 4 or 5 were predicted, I would leave and take my animals with me since one of those would cause a major disruption of food and water into the area.

I am glad the Teddi seems to be doing better.

I gave a friend some of the peaches, plums, and nectarines. I will prep a recipe for pie filling from each and freeze in half-batches (I have a mini pie maker, so that amount is perfect for 4 mini pies, which is perfect as a dessert for me for the week. I try not to have dessert every night, but I do love sweets. She is always giving me things. She gave me some red potatoes, a sweet potato, and a mango the week before. She also brought over a bottle of raspberry lemonade that she purchased, and no one wanted. I add it to my tea for raspberry-lemon tea. I am not fond of it to just drink straight.

Today, I am meeting a friend for lunch and then back home to continue my summer cleaning. It is coming along very well. I think I will be done by the end of the month and then have most of next month to relax and plan for the upcoming school year. I do plan a little each day, but me cleaning takes up most of my time.

Other than lunch today, the week should be low spend. I may need gas for the car. Well off to get ready for my day.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:00 pm Shiela I do hope that your Hope is doing better with her ear infection. You are right they are worth the money.
Making extra money is always nice but being home with your fur babies is a good thing. My home is my sanctuary and gives me comfort and the peace that I need. I know you feel the same way. Cooking from scratch is a really good way to save money and the 4 hours a week of work will pay for your groceries so it does sound like the better way to go. Enjoy the week-ends with your fur babies at home..
Thank you for the kind words Janet, Hope is doing better - fights getting her ear drops but I always win! Yes, it was the right decision with the job - keep thinking I would have liked that extra money thought, lol. But GLAD, at the end of a long week that I don't have to work alllll day Saturday and alllllll day Sunday!

How are you and Tedi doing?