Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Momof2Still wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:58 am
Janet- yes, I have been through a couple of hurricanes. I would not stay for a cat 4 or 5, but where I am located, I feel perfectly safe for the cat 1, 2, and 3. There are several barrier islands between the ocean and my home. I live in a zone that does not flood (or hasn’t so far) in a condo that has other condos on either side of me (attached) and above me. I feel very safe, and I would rather be in my familiar home than away at an unfamiliar place. Many times, the places I would evacuate to have severe storms from the hurricanes. Now if a cat 4 or 5 were predicted, I would leave and take my animals with me since one of those would cause a major disruption of food and water into the area.

I am glad the Teddi seems to be doing better.

I gave a friend some of the peaches, plums, and nectarines. I will prep a recipe for pie filling from each and freeze in half-batches (I have a mini pie maker, so that amount is perfect for 4 mini pies, which is perfect as a dessert for me for the week. I try not to have dessert every night, but I do love sweets. She is always giving me things. She gave me some red potatoes, a sweet potato, and a mango the week before. She also brought over a bottle of raspberry lemonade that she purchased, and no one wanted. I add it to my tea for raspberry-lemon tea. I am not fond of it to just drink straight.

Today, I am meeting a friend for lunch and then back home to continue my summer cleaning. It is coming along very well. I think I will be done by the end of the month and then have most of next month to relax and plan for the upcoming school year. I do plan a little each day, but me cleaning takes up most of my time.

Other than lunch today, the week should be low spend. I may need gas for the car. Well off to get ready for my day.

Momof2 good to hear you will not flood where you live and basically ok unless the hurricane is an extreme category..I do hope you do not have to deal with one this year or any year really. They can be so catastrophic. I am with you I would rather camp out at home instead of going to a shelter if I am able.

Enjoy your summer and getting things organized for the coming school year. It will be here before you know it.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 pm

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm
Thank you for the kind words Janet, Hope is doing better - fights getting her ear drops but I always win! Yes, it was the right decision with the job - keep thinking I would have liked that extra money thought, lol. But GLAD, at the end of a long week that I don't have to work alllll day Saturday and alllllll day Sunday!

How are you and Tedi doing?
Teddi is better. He is eating like a champ but not doing #2 like he should. However I feel like he is on the mend..

Good luck with Hope and her ear problem. I use to have to put drops in my rabbit, Ginger's, ears. I had to board her when I went out of town and when I came back for her a few days later they said they had such a horrible time getting them in that the Dr gave her a shot..lol. I did not feel so bad about the tough time I had if the vet techs were having a problem too..
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 pm

It has been a while due to Teddi being sick. His medical bills hit my emergency fund rather hard around $314.00. He appears to be on the mend. However he is worth it.

Food wise I am doing ok with what I have in the house and adding a few things like fresh produce and dairy. I was lucky enough to get 2 surveys from Pine Cone. They gave me $3.00 for each one so I will be buying a rotisserie chicken this week. I have $2.00 in reward money at the grocery store so the cost of the chicken will be $1.46 plus tax. Also Pine Cone sent me another survey a few days ago so I will combine the money from both surveys and the last week of June will buy another chicken which will come to .46 cents plus tax. Woo hoo. I have other things on hand to fill in for protein ie salmon, tuna, sardines. Also eggs, milk and cheese to make a quiche. I am out of of olives for my salads so I threw some cooked chick peas in to the olive brine (green olives). They still have a little bit of a chick pea taste but at the same time enough of an olive taste to give my salads a little bit of zip plus extra protein. I am out of store bought salad dressing. I had bought some on sale but too costly to buy it now so I made an Asian salad dressing using things I have on hand ie soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil etc.

I made rice for Teddi to eat with his chicken and he ignores it. I tried mashing it up in to his food but he did not eat like he should.. bummer. So I am using the rice with some of my pre-packaged Indian meals from Big Lots. The other day I opened one package and have had 5 meals from it. I also added some cooked chickpeas and a side of plain yogurt to help with the heat of the food. The packet of food cost $2.03 but divide that by 5 and you get about .40 cents. The rice was free from my aide and I could claim the chick peas as free also since when I bought them it was BOGO. Speaking of BOGO I needed AA batteries for my furnace thermostat. I noticed at the checkout counter at the grocery store they had Energizer batteries BOGO so I bought two for the $4.99. When I got home I saw where they had given me an electronic coupon of .50 cents off. So quite a bargain. They are good for 10 years so I do not need to be concerned about batteries for my furnace thermostat for the next several year.

I think that is it for now. The rest of the month things are really tight for groceries but I think I will be ok. Just need to cook ahead and more from scratch.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Poor little Teddi is still sick. He would not eat this morning which is not unusual for him but mid morning he threw up. Then around noon he was begging for something to eat so gave him his pill in some cheese. Then about an hour later he was begging again so gave him some chicken. Not too soon after that he threw everything up. So another trip to the Vet's office. He may have pancreatitis or a partially blocked bowel. She gave him a couple of shots one for nausea and a penicillin shot since he cannot keep his oral medicine down. If he is not better in a few days he has to go back for x-rays of his bowels.. She is leaning more towards the pancreatitis. He did eat some chicken and has not thrown it up.. He is on restriction for water. Only 10 laps then take it away for a while.My emergency fund is now flat broke. It was $90.00 for today's visit.

Save--Lot had fresh whole chickens on sale (Tyson) for .69 lb. I had my aide pick one up for him and I think I will try to get two more before the sale is over and put them in my fridge freezer. They are nice and big. They will be better for him than the rotisserie chickens. I have concerns about the seasoning they use on the meat ie onion and garlic powder. I just never gave it a thought until I was throwing the lid away the other day and looked at it more closely. They said it was all natural herb seasoned.. just never thought of the onion and garlic powder. It may not be a problem but I do not want to take a chance. I will have to use the money set aside for his grooming this month to keep in reserve for possible medical follow up needs. There is still money in his budget for purchasing his food. I have his special shampoo here at home so when he is up to it I will be able to give him a bath here.

Food wise I am doing ok and eating from the pantry, fridge, and freezer.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Teddi is slightly better and no worse. He is eating a little bit of the chicken but only an ounce in the morning and an ounce late afternoon and a little bit of water. He does get up and go out when I tell him it is time to go potty. He is just not spunky. He does follow me around like he usually does ie if I leave the room he will get up to follow me but he soon goes back to sleep. Sleep is healing so hopefully he will be more spunky each day.

I made a stir fry today with the last of the rice. I had made some for Teddi but he would not eat his chicken if the rice was included so only added it one time. Little by little have been using it up with my Indian food packet. Also used some onion from the fridge and some egg that I had scrambled yesterday for Teddi but he was not interested. I am not eating out of his dog bowl.lol. He gets a clean plate with each meal and it is the same china I use for myself. It goes through the dishwasher so it is clean and sanitary. He would not even look at it yesterday so I put it in the fridge when he did not want it. Since he is a picky eater I was told to remove it after 15 min if not eaten so it is was still good. Added some gluten free soy sauce and a handful of raw almonds. It was quick, tasty, and frugal.

I had the last of my apples yesterday with peanut butter so for a snack today just had two tablespoons of peanut butter off of the spoon. I read that daily PB (2 TBS) will help with weight loss. I am not sure but it does seem my weight is going down a bit more. Not a lot but a half pound in a couple of weeks. I am now down to 189 lb and staying there.. My aide said she can really see the weight change in the way my clothes fit. I have been sort of going back and forth between 190 and 195 lb however I have not been this low in weight in decades. I think it is better to loose it slowly just eating regular foods not a diet but being diabetic I do have to watch my sugar and carbs.

With things being as tight as they are right now I am down to the last piece of meat in the house. About 5 inches of a link of kielbasa. I am going to use some of it with onion, cabbage, mushrooms, and about 3 oz of potato in a soup. The chicken broth I will use for the base was made from the last rotisserie chicken. I will freeze most of the kielbasa for using later on. I do have breakfast pork sausage in the freezer so will be thawing that out to make keto sausage gravy. However as far as beef not going to buy it for a long time if every again. Just do not like it. Chicken, a rotisserie one, every week. I am using survey money and rewards money from the grocery store to buy my next one. I am thinking of getting one Sunday for $1.46. That will last me for a week or I can freeze some for later. Since Teddi will no longer being getting any of the rotisserie chicken is should last a lot longer.

I have a bag of spinach thawing out $1.00 from Dollar Tree and will be making a quiche tonight for tomorrow for breakfast or lunch. I use 3 eggs. They were .79 cents a doz so about .20 cents and milk .59 cents half gallon and I use about 1.5 cups... you do the math....lol. Also will throw in some chopped onion and use about a cup of shredded cheese so maybe another $1.00. It is tasty, filling, and healthy and will give me 6 meals. I do not make a crust I was never good at making one that was not soggy and now that I am gluten free it does not matter.

Dinner tonight is leftover Au gratin potatoes from a box $1.00 and some leftover cold salmon from a can $1.99. With Teddi being ill and having to take him to the Vet I was not up to making salmon patties or salmon salad but cold salmon is not bad and it it quick. Have had three meals from each.
Janet Alliesmama

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:22 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 pm
Teddi is slightly better and no worse. He is eating a little bit of the chicken but only an ounce in the morning and an ounce late afternoon and a little bit of water. He does get up and go out when I tell him it is time to go potty. He is just not spunky. He does follow me around like he usually does ie if I leave the room he will get up to follow me but he soon goes back to sleep. Sleep is healing so hopefully he will be more spunky each day.

I made a stir fry today with the last of the rice. I had made some for Teddi but he would not eat his chicken if the rice was included so only added it one time. Little by little have been using it up with my Indian food packet. Also used some onion from the fridge and some egg that I had scrambled yesterday for Teddi but he was not interested. I am not eating out of his dog bowl.lol. He gets a clean plate with each meal and it is the same china I use for myself. It goes through the dishwasher so it is clean and sanitary. He would not even look at it yesterday so I put it in the fridge when he did not want it. Since he is a picky eater I was told to remove it after 15 min if not eaten so it is was still good. Added some gluten free soy sauce and a handful of raw almonds. It was quick, tasty, and frugal.

I had the last of my apples yesterday with peanut butter so for a snack today just had two tablespoons of peanut butter off of the spoon. I read that daily PB (2 TBS) will help with weight loss. I am not sure but it does seem my weight is going down a bit more. Not a lot but a half pound in a couple of weeks. I am now down to 189 lb and staying there.. My aide said she can really see the weight change in the way my clothes fit. I have been sort of going back and forth between 190 and 195 lb however I have not been this low in weight in decades. I think it is better to loose it slowly just eating regular foods not a diet but being diabetic I do have to watch my sugar and carbs.

With things being as tight as they are right now I am down to the last piece of meat in the house. About 5 inches of a link of kielbasa. I am going to use some of it with onion, cabbage, mushrooms, and about 3 oz of potato in a soup. The chicken broth I will use for the base was made from the last rotisserie chicken. I will freeze most of the kielbasa for using later on. I do have breakfast pork sausage in the freezer so will be thawing that out to make keto sausage gravy. However as far as beef not going to buy it for a long time if every again. Just do not like it. Chicken, a rotisserie one, every week. I am using survey money and rewards money from the grocery store to buy my next one. I am thinking of getting one Sunday for $1.46. That will last me for a week or I can freeze some for later. Since Teddi will no longer being getting any of the rotisserie chicken is should last a lot longer.

I have a bag of spinach thawing out $1.00 from Dollar Tree and will be making a quiche tonight for tomorrow for breakfast or lunch. I use 3 eggs. They were .79 cents a doz so about .20 cents and milk .59 cents half gallon and I use about 1.5 cups... you do the math....lol. Also will throw in some chopped onion and use about a cup of shredded cheese so maybe another $1.00. It is tasty, filling, and healthy and will give me 6 meals. I do not make a crust I was never good at making one that was not soggy and now that I am gluten free it does not matter.

Dinner tonight is leftover Au gratin potatoes from a box $1.00 and some leftover cold salmon from a can $1.99. With Teddi being ill and having to take him to the Vet I was not up to making salmon patties or salmon salad but cold salmon is not bad and it it quick. Have had three meals from each.
Janet I have slowly been losing weight as well. Gone are the days when I could lose 10 lbs in a month. I am doing it nice and slow with some portion control and exercise. It is actually staying off for the most part. I do gain a few ounces, once a pound, but within days of my sensible eating and exercising it is gone.

Keep up the good work.