Carleen's Countdown to 2020...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Carleen

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2020...

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!

It's raining like crazy again. No thunder yet. The grass is as green as green can be!!! Not much going on around here but I thought I'd better check in lest anyone think I disappeared!!!

We did some much-needed food shopping. Two stores on two different days (two different directions) so we could take advantage of sales and coupons. The pantry, fridge and fridge-freezer were all very empty. We're still low on fresh veggies but OK for now.

The hanging plant on our front porch croaked while we were away so we stopped at the local hardware store that has a garden area. Found a nice hanging plant that was on a close-out sale. Also, found a few small impatiens plants for fifty cents and planted them in a couple of sparce-looking spots. Now, with the current rain, they are looking a lot better - standing up and looking happier! I really love such small victories!!!

Willow (cat) needs to have her yearly vaccines so maybe I'll take her to her veterinarian today or tomorrow. Not a huge rush, though.

Gotta go get busy. See you all later. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings, Everyone!!!

Today we will be going to an 8th grade graduation party for our granddaughter. She excelled and has already been accepted into two AP/honors classes at her new high school. She wore uniforms for the past 8 years so she is in desperate need of "school clothes". We have a gift certificate for her to shop with.

Our grandson, wife and baby (our great grandson) are up here for the doings. So we will be able to see the baby for the first time!!! YAY!!!

No spending today which is a frugal victory! Gotta go get busy. Best wishes to all of you and yours. Bye for now. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!

This morning I awoke to Hubby being all huggy-kissy and wishing me a Happy Anniversary. I wondered how I could have missed it...

I got up, got dressed, and looked at the calendar. It was the WRONG DAY!!!!!!! Our anniversary is not until tomorrow!!! 52 years ago TOMORROW!!! Good grief...

The graduation party for our granddaughter was a very nice event. We got to meet our new Great Grandson and he is wonderful!!! He is five months old now and doesn't miss much - Very alert and interested in his surroundings. Just thinking about him makes me smile!!!

A short nasty thunderstorm went through here early this morning. Everything is calmed down and the sun is starting to poke through the left-over clouds. It's going to be in the mid-80s so will probably be pretty steamy with everything so wet.

Newspapers are waiting for me. Still basking in our Great Grandson's smile! Stay safe. See you later.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!

It's a beautiful day here win Corn Country - blue skies, nice breeze, and moderate temps for now.

Yesterday I saw that two corn fields near us were planted while we were away and the plants are peeking out. Lots of standing water but the farmers had just plowed around those areas and got a crop planted even though it's a smaller crop. Wishing them well. No soybeans are visible so I don't know if any are planted yet.

We had a nice anniversary day that ended up with supper out. Just us and it was delightful! Fifty-two years sounds like such a long, long time. But I do have to say that all the frugal/lean years were totally worth it. Hubby worked very hard and has had his priorities in order. Yay!!!

Gotta go now and get busy. See you all later. Stay safe and enjoy your frugal day!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hello and Happy Friday to Everyone!!!

A beautiful day here. Late yesterday we had lots of dangerous storms nearby but we were spared, thankfully.

I saw a field that had seedlings popping up - looked like soybeans. Yay for that. I heard someone say that corn plants can handle brief periods of standing in water but that soybeans do not do well and just sit there and die. Interesting how some plants can cope while other don't.

Summer has descended upon us. High temp today is supposed to be 90F. High humidity, too. Blick... Mold count is very high and allergic people are having a rough time. I'm now eagerly awaiting the first heavy frost of Autumn.... Then I can breathe again! Jeesh...

No shopping today. That includes the two garage sales we planned to visit. Absolutely no treasures for us. So we came home had a leisurely cup of coffee, read newspapers, etc. Basically just taking things easy! Boy, oh boy - that felt good!!!

No other news. Just checking in. See you all later. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy and Happy July to Everyone!!!

I really cannot believe the number of thunderstorms here lately. jeesh... Poor Willow has practically lived in her closet. This morning I grabbed her out of there and locked her in the sunroom where her food, water and litter are. She immediately used her litter and took a drink. She meowed so I opened the doors and she dashed back into her closet. I'll check on her later in the day.

No spending planned for today - a good frugal day. Just checking in and wishing everyone a very good day. I have a list taped to my monitor with names of people who could use a few prayers. I look it over every morning before starting my day. Even if I don't respond to someone who is hurting or ill, please know that here in Northern Illinois someone is listening and praying for you. Hang in there. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout