Daily check-in June 25, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Daily check-in June 25, 2019

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Good Morning Frugal Friends!!
gaylejackson2

Re: Daily check-in June 25, 2019

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dh is gone to work, and although dd8 awakened I sent her back to bed, and I’ve got my day’s tea steeping. I’ll submit my post, hopefully before my phone dies, then go combine both tea bags in another quart of hot water to get my third quart.

I slept poorly (but feel rather cheerful despite that), due to my feet throbbed most of the night— I mowed 2 lawns yesterday, my steps app calculated I’d walked 4+ miles!! No wonder they hurt So Much! But I earned $50, which added to last time’s $25, and I have almost enough to pay for this month’s piano lessons.😁

I got my last paycheck yesterday, so need to go pay daycare & HELOC today. I’ll do my regular grocery shop today too, but it will be minimal (I hope) as we still have Lots of veg & milk. I need to go buy rain bird sprinklers at Lowes too, and check thrift store for Old Sheets for wool project.

Supposed to be Very Sunny& Warm today, yay another such day! We are to have hot sunny weather all week, good as I have projects planned to take advantage of it.

I plan to weed a bit early morning, get sprinklers on driest parts of lawn this morning, and then get my wool spread out to dry.
As the wool dries, I’ll “skirt” it by pulling off really short pieces, the poopy bits, and anything else that looks bad. Basically I just want to keep the best, longest pieces. I hope I have 9-10 fleeces to work with, so should end up with half in good wool. I also have another fleece from my brother that I need to pull out to see what needs pulling off.
Once wool is all dry, I want to wash the fleece from dbro (East Friesan, EF), and 2-3 others (they are Hampshire-Suffolk cross (HS). Then when those are dry, I want to experiment in dyeing the washed wool, green I think, and maybe blue. Dh loves green.

I need to contact dbro to see if he has any black/brown fleeces kept back from this year’s shearing, if yes I’ll wash it & dye some of it too. Oh this is sooo exciting to me!!😁

In a month, my Knitting/spinning guild is invited to go back to the wool processing factory & shop for spinning. I plan to take all of my washed/dyed fleeces plus the unwashed ones for processing into roving. Then I can spin & get knitting more fun stuff. I have promised dh socks and a hat.

Must think about food too, dinner? Maybe spaghetti w/ spaghetti squash for dh, and a baked pasta dish for rest if us. With the never-ending salad.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

Another sunny, hot and dry Florida summer day ahead. I already walked a bit with nervous neighbor. Knee doesn't hurt, but doesn't like to move. It does not improve with use. Only with rest.

I watered yesterday and I am watering already today. Rain may happen on Thursday. Today, I expect to get an email from the yard guy saying he is coming tomorrow. The yard needs it. I have dug up volunteer flowers and transplanted them to the flower bed so that they don't get mowed down. A couple of more plants in pots to transfer to the garden for the trip.

Snowbird is still waiting on her last test results before leaving for the north. And neighbor with spinal problems was told that she will be in the neck brace for 6 more weeks. I chat with her via FB messenger. She is feeling a little down about it. Doesn't want company though.

I am turning the house temperature up a bit more at night to keep the ac off. It blows on me when sleeping and chills me. Of course, we use fans, so the ac isn't really needed then. In the morning, I turn the temperature back down since we are more active. Save a little energy, money that way. I am surprised at how low the humidity is staying in the house. Must be the new windows and insulation. It is 10% lower this year than last(before windows) and very tolerable.

I have been unable to get a response from the handyman after leaving several messages. I had hoped to get a few things done before leaving for Houston. Frustrating.

Today, I am grateful to be able to walk as far as I did. Have a good day everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining, our water is functioning (can on before I needed to start supper) and laundry is in. Temperature wise it is a bit cool, but I can stand that for my morning walk.

I did manage to get quite a bit done yesterday, so my list does not look quite as daunting for today. Still, I do have lots to accomplish and I still need to finish up the surprise on the embroidery machine, cut them out and clip all the short threads (on one project, I have another floating around my mind that I just might get done as well). I am hoping that today sees it finished so I can move on.

Frugally speaking this will be another no spend day (hopefully, unless Hubby takes the car in for an oil change). I am really working on staying out of the shops as much as possible. Sometimes it is really easy (when I have projects and such to complete), but other times it is a struggle to stay away from "retail therapy" to offset my boredom.

Meals will once again be eaten in and use up what we have on hand. I want to get the fridge nice and clean before we leave. Some of the items will be coming with us, and I will need to pick up a few more.

I plan on walking this morning. I will do my usual route and hopefully add to the weight loss. I have however figured out that walking outside at the speed I usually do is not conducive to losing weight. I am doing this to maintain. I just don't want to walk on the treadmill on these beautiful summer mornings.

Laundry is being done in the most frugal way possible. What can be washed in cold is being done in cold, what needs warm will be done in warm, but all rinsing is in cold. Said laundry will be hung on the lines outside since it is not raining.

I might go to a friends for coffee later this morning, just depends on how much work I get accomplished. Free coffee is always a good thing.

Today I am grateful for the sunshine this morning and the puddles of water from our rains yesterday.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am Dh is gone to work, and although dd8 awakened I sent her back to bed, and I’ve got my day’s tea steeping. I’ll submit my post, hopefully before my phone dies, then go combine both tea bags in another quart of hot water to get my third quart.

I slept poorly (but feel rather cheerful despite that), due to my feet throbbed most of the night— I mowed 2 lawns yesterday, my steps app calculated I’d walked 4+ miles!! No wonder they hurt So Much! But I earned $50, which added to last time’s $25, and I have almost enough to pay for this month’s piano lessons.😁

I got my last paycheck yesterday, so need to go pay daycare & HELOC today. I’ll do my regular grocery shop today too, but it will be minimal (I hope) as we still have Lots of veg & milk. I need to go buy rain bird sprinklers at Lowes too, and check thrift store for Old Sheets for wool project.

Supposed to be Very Sunny& Warm today, yay another such day! We are to have hot sunny weather all week, good as I have projects planned to take advantage of it.

I plan to weed a bit early morning, get sprinklers on driest parts of lawn this morning, and then get my wool spread out to dry.
As the wool dries, I’ll “skirt” it by pulling off really short pieces, the poopy bits, and anything else that looks bad. Basically I just want to keep the best, longest pieces. I hope I have 9-10 fleeces to work with, so should end up with half in good wool. I also have another fleece from my brother that I need to pull out to see what needs pulling off.
Once wool is all dry, I want to wash the fleece from dbro (East Friesan, EF), and 2-3 others (they are Hampshire-Suffolk cross (HS). Then when those are dry, I want to experiment in dyeing the washed wool, green I think, and maybe blue. Dh loves green.

I need to contact dbro to see if he has any black/brown fleeces kept back from this year’s shearing, if yes I’ll wash it & dye some of it too. Oh this is sooo exciting to me!!😁

In a month, my Knitting/spinning guild is invited to go back to the wool processing factory & shop for spinning. I plan to take all of my washed/dyed fleeces plus the unwashed ones for processing into roving. Then I can spin & get knitting more fun stuff. I have promised dh socks and a hat.

Must think about food too, dinner? Maybe spaghetti w/ spaghetti squash for dh, and a baked pasta dish for rest if us. With the never-ending salad.
You are going to have a very busy summer with the fleeces you plan on spinning. I envy your energy.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am

Gayle, I find you descriptions of working with your wool so interesting. So when you say “fleece” am I right that means the wool shorn directly from the sheep? I had to look up “roving” and I see that is strands of fibers before they are spun into yarn. Do you find the spinning process difficult? Does it hurt your fingers?

My mom and dad met working in a woolen mill. Dad was a supervisor and gave mom the best yarn for spinning. This was machine spinning. Dad would label the good yarn as poor yarn before giving it to mom so that she’d get more credit. They didn’t work there long and I believe about that time all of the woolen mills were moving south for cheaper labor.

A week or so ago Quilter mentioned she was going to take a weaving class. I’d love to do that, too. I have weavers on both sides of my family (dad’s father who was my grandfather I never knew and mom’s great grandparents from England whose church I visited last year).

I would love to see your finished hat and gloves, Gayle.