Daily check-in July 13, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily check-in July 13, 2019

Post by clemencia2us »

Sounds like a wonderful trip!
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Completely exhausted! Dh and I spent the day stripping stain from the deck (which is huge!) and then washing it with the deck wash. Of course it's one of the hottest days we've had so far this year but we did the work while the deck was in the shade. The stain remover is more effective if it's pretty warm and the wood must be completely dry before you do that task. Now we're ready to use some wood filler where needed, sand that down along with any areas that have any remaining flaking stain and we'll finally be ready to stain the deck. If it lasts as long as our previous stain (28 years), then we'll be good! I'm sure by that time we'll be living in a condo if living at all. The staining will actually be the easy part. The preparation was horrible.

Still managed to put dinner on the table and enjoyed that Dutch apple cake with lemon sauce once again. We were both starving! Fortunately I found a "frozen asset" for dh from the freezer and he enjoyed the meatloaf along with the remaining very small portion of salmon. At that point I wasn't about to cook some more meat. We had stir fried ginger rapini as our veggie even though it is a bit of a pain to wash and prepare. But it sure beats scrubbing a deck with a wired brush broom!

Have a good night everyone. I should sleep well tonight!
Creative
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:46 pm Hello all.

Well I lucked out and the overnight rain here ended by morning.

After breakfast at a diner the motel owner recommended, I drove to the Anne of Green Gables house in Cavendish about 45 minutes from where I’m staying. The house is run by Parks Canada so it is not overly commercialized. It was busy but not super crowded. The gardens near the house were fantastic with peonies and a lot of flowers I cannot name.

One interesting thing here on PEI is that it is very popular with Japanese tourists. I noticed it at the gift shop where I bought postcards yesterday and the motel owner mentioned that they read Anne of Green Gables in Japan and love it. Sure enough about one third of the visitors at the house when I was there were Japanese, mostly ladies of a certain age.

After the house I drove to PEI National Park not too far away on the northern coast. I loved it, so natural and unspoiled and with a lovely lighthouse. I had another lobster roll which was twice as big as the one I ate in NB.

I bought gas for the second time this trip. Here is the difference between Canada and the U.S. - at least my area. Neither gas station had pay at the pump but both said put in the gas and then come in to pay. In my area you must pay first because they are afraid people will fill their tank and drive away without paying.

Tomorrow is my last full day on my trip. I’ll go back to NB and my plans will depend on the weather. Thunderstorms are predicted for the afternoon.

Have a good evening.
Canada from coast to coast attracts Japanese tourists. Banff, Jasper and pretty much any National Park in the Rockies when we have been there seem to be mostly Japanese tourists or at least tourists from that area of the world.

Pay at the pump is slowly becoming visible here on the prairies. Mostly at those stations along the TransCanada highway. We do have one station here in town that does this, as they have had too many drive a ways over the last two years. Still we have more of the get your gas first and then come in to pay. Our Coop stores here in Saskatchewan are still full service and I think will continue to be so for a very long time.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:30 pm Completely exhausted! Dh and I spent the day stripping stain from the deck (which is huge!) and then washing it with the deck wash. Of course it's one of the hottest days we've had so far this year but we did the work while the deck was in the shade. The stain remover is more effective if it's pretty warm and the wood must be completely dry before you do that task. Now we're ready to use some wood filler where needed, sand that down along with any areas that have any remaining flaking stain and we'll finally be ready to stain the deck. If it lasts as long as our previous stain (28 years), then we'll be good! I'm sure by that time we'll be living in a condo if living at all. The staining will actually be the easy part. The preparation was horrible.

Still managed to put dinner on the table and enjoyed that Dutch apple cake with lemon sauce once again. We were both starving! Fortunately I found a "frozen asset" for dh from the freezer and he enjoyed the meatloaf along with the remaining very small portion of salmon. At that point I wasn't about to cook some more meat. We had stir fried ginger rapini as our veggie even though it is a bit of a pain to wash and prepare. But it sure beats scrubbing a deck with a wired brush broom!

Have a good night everyone. I should sleep well tonight!
Creative
We managed to reach 32C here with no wind and the humidity made it feel closer to 40C. You have this humidity all the time living close to the lakes...People here just wilt when the humidity gets too high.

Example, I went downtown to see if the laptop was ready (found out the store I purchased it from closes at 3 on Saturday...good to know) and noticed that the entire downtown area was pretty much deserted. People, for the most part stay indoors on days like yesterday. Me, well I am out for short bursts. I work in the garden, do a bit of harvesting, sit in the shade for a bit, and take a short walk.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

rinty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:09 am Saw a MEME I have to share

" Turns out Buying Yarn and Crocheting Are Two Separate Hobbies " :D :D

You know its true, ( substitute any form or craft ;) )
:lol: :lol: Oh yes!! I'd definitely have to agree! Right along with all the lovely fiber I have yet to spin up (drop spindle spinning is slow work), and buying fabric without sewing anything. :D