DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday part 2

I have some clogging in the rain barrel faucet. Thinking of ways to fix it. The gunk that accumulates at the bottom needs to be cleaned out. Several different options are bouncing around right now. Thinking on it.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

A trip to Home Depot convinced me to buy a manual bilge pump. The one at Home Depot is much cheaper online, however the one I want is a bit better for my purposes and more expensive. I will ask hubs to order it today.

Yesterday, I trimmed the false rosella hibiscus. They are so easy to root from cuttings that I just told the trimmings and stuck them in the ground. Since we had a rain last night, they should be likely to survive. Zinnas have popped up and some have their first true leaves. I need to do some more trimming on the morning glories that are taking over the world. But can't stay outside long with the mosquitoes and heat. Really don't want to spray a lot of deet on me. So I'll wait until the county decides to spray. Meanwhile I will do stuff inside.

In 2 weeks, I can plant tomatoes and peppers. Looking forward to a nice fall crop.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Today, I will try to move several pavers. They only weigh about 10 lbs, but my knee doesn't like the stress of lifting anything. It is a test.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Successfully moved the pavers. Now today, move some landscape timbers, weather permitting. See what else. I will plan to get up on the ladder later this week and clean out the gutters some more. It gets filled with little stuff that becomes a solid mass. Considering taking a hose to try to wash it out, but honestly, I don't think it will work.

Late today, I will drag the fallen limbs to the road for yard pickup tomorrow. Also my recycle bin. It is full. If rain is expected overnight, I may have to postpone moving my can filled with little limbs out. Don't want it full of water.

Engine light in the car did not go off when I tightened the gas cap. Well, grump. Have to decide when to do something about it. Not right now.

The new location for the hydrangea don't seem to please them. Luckily they are in pots, so I can try another location. Probably with more sunlight. I won't try to move them right now. I do have some potted plants that I plan to put in the ground. Maybe this week between rain showers.

I am getting a good upper body workout with the manual bilge pump. 3 trashcans, 32 gallon ones were full of water from the most recent rain. Need to get them empty before the next rain comes in about an hour.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

Continuous rain. Trashcans under the overflowing gutter are full and overflowing. At least the rain barrels are working. With the hoses directed out into the yard, the house perimeter is more or less dry. The water drains away fast whenever we get a break in the rain. But they predict days of this rain, so it will be a challenge. Water is seeping onto the porch. Guess I will get out my wet dry vacuum later if needed.

Going to be a somewhat unproductive day unless I figure something interesting to do inside. Way to damp to do laundry which needs to be done. Dishes, sure, but then what?
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday pm

It has stopped raining at last. Although my flower beds are raised, some of the flowers look poorly. Just too much rain, wet feet. So the Mexican sunflowers are dying off, but the morning glory vines are vining everywhere. These will flower in the fall as will the false rosella hibiscus. I have a couple of vines of a morning glory type that is flowering now. But just here and there. Lots of papaya fruit. Meanwhile the lilies are done for and the leaves are starting to brown. I have a lot more lilies than I want. So they will go to swap in the fall. The zinnia are not happy with the wetness. I am not sure they will make it.

Today, I will pick up sticks. A lot came down during the storms. Also pull some weeds. That will be enough. It is sticky hot outside. I have some potted plants to put in the ground. I know the ground is damp. LOL

Not very ambitious unfortunately. Hope that will change as the day goes on.