how to retire on a shoestring.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

how to retire on a shoestring.

Post by icfrugal1 »

https://www.nextavenue.org/retiring-on- ... UYUdd0GUpc

Boy, not to sound "judgy" but I don't think that it's much of a plan. :(

Scary, I hope that they are able to find jobs.

IC
colonialgirl

Re: how to retire on a shoestring.

Post by colonialgirl »

I don't think you are being judgy. I am though.

People like this tick me off. They want to live by the beach. Who doesn't? The question is can they afford to live by the beach. They are one life crisis away from insolvency but they MIGHT get part time work - but only 10 hours per week. Do you all see a lot of places looking for 10 hours per week workers over age 65? Around here, if you work part time, you work when they want you to - whether that is 35 hours per week - or zero if they don't need you. Poetry workshops - please.

I am all for being a free spirit if you can afford to finance your decisions. They can't. I understand not wanting to work - I didn't either, so we lived frugally and saved for retirement. They just did their art and poetry and now trust to luck for non artistic impositions, like healthcare. I'll stop now because I am grinding my teeth. What a couple of irresponsible idiots.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Interesting article. Interesting posts about it. I actually didn't find anything surprising about it. But then I live in Florida. I do a lot of what they suggest. I cut hubs hair and trim mine. I never visit the beauty parlor. My color is out of a $2.99 bottle every 6 weeks. I trim our toenails. Our monthly income is similar to theirs and we rarely spend it all. Utilities are cheap since we keep it simple. Electricity is highest during the summer at $60/month. In the winter, it is about half that cost. No gas or water utility. Most expensive utility is phone and internet. Of course, we don't eat out which saves a lot.

Still I do agree with you all that they have no savings and have debt which I abhor.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

With all due respect I'm retired on less than 35 thousand in pension and Ss and I do just fine. It was closer to 30 grand when I retired before medicare began. While I was partially forcibly early retired due to caring for John at 55, I have deliberately chosen to not work since then. Life on that amount has included piles of things. One person's no no is another person's choice.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

eh - they will be fine.

Their rent is less than what they were paying before. No state income tax in Florida.

I don't think it will be hard for them to find part time jobs.

They are free spirits and don't worry about things. I know it might be hard for some of y'all to understand

Heck when i retired, i just did it. Didn't have a plan. Figured i would get a job if i had to, but i didn't. My income is more than theirs, but like they say two can live as cheaply as one
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

and since i help with our food bank - just checked what they had in vero beach

72 food pantries!

Lots of our clients are senior citizens.