how to retire on a shoestring.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: how to retire on a shoestring.

Post by Quilter51 »

Seriously. I alwas knew that I would be okay. And while I realize this is so very difficult for many to understand, I have come to the decision that for me at least having the pension and the social security is better than the 401K. the knowledge that i will always have this amount each and every month (barring cost of living increases) as opposed to having to decide how much to take or do the four percent thing is actually very lberating. I live in a fairly expensive market and have hobbies, socialize, and yes, even travel (and yes, I have some debt). I rent a house by choice, and if or rathe when I downsize again it will be to ane bedroom rented apartment.

And I have never had to use a pantry to date or put off a medical bill.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

And I think teaching poetry workshops sound cool.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I plan on going the rental route also

I don't want the responsibilites and costs associated with home ownership. No yardwork etc.

I want to be freeeeeeeeee
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

The rental thing, if I'm alone when I'm older (DH and I have a 10-year gap and he should survive me, but things happen) while I'd like not to have to do lawn or maintenance work because it makes my asthma kick in and I get hives (just when I walk outside if someone else is mowing - I'm allergic to grass and nearly all trees), I don't know if I could handle the proximity of neighbors in an apartment.

Maybe in a row townhouses if I was the last one on the row; I rented a condo like that when I was in my 20s, the ONE neighbor I had just HAD to be the program director for the biggest rock station in town :shock: - but he was only noisy when he first got home, played his own station in the car, LOUD. You could hear him coming from half a mile.

I think it's the side effect of having been an only child in a totally clean, totally quiet household, even normal noise is jarring. Less so now, after 2 kids (noise!) but I learned from the hotel and apartment stretches we did between these last 3 houses - proximity to people who like to slam doors is NOT my thing. And the dog agrees :lol:

Maybe an over-55 community with a lawn service included in the HOA, but that's some $$$ around here, much more in places I'd rather be (that beach!).
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

There are 11 kids in my family.

Noisy was the standard - :mrgreen:

My mom and dad were so patient. I know my mom loved the rowdy atmosphere. She had tons of cousins. Only one sibling.

I guess i am used to all that going around me. I've lived in apartments, dorms, etc. I can only remember one time being aggravated by a loud person.

You can also rent a regular house.

I rented my current home for a year before i bought it. Wanted to try it out.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

icfrugal1 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:48 am https://www.nextavenue.org/retiring-on- ... UYUdd0GUpc

Boy, not to sound "judgy" but I don't think that it's much of a plan. :(

Scary, I hope that they are able to find jobs.

IC
If it works for them, hurray!! I hope the dh is able to sell some of his art... or maybe wife doesn't care as long as she has her poetry workshops. 10 hours a week sounds like 1-2 days Subbing for me.