how to retire on a shoestring.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: how to retire on a shoestring.

Post by Quilter51 »

My max out of pocket with medicare and supplemental is less than four grand in total ickudi g drugs.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:30 am That would have to come out of the $50/month for entertainment. But to me it sounded like the guy thought that the material would be free from the scrapyard? Not sure how that works.
I think he would still have expenses for things like soldering, nuts and bolts, tools like drills and saws, etc. He will likely need a pickup or van as their vehicle, even if it's their only vehicle...those don't get good gas mileage so it adds to their own household expenses. He might also sometimes rent, or buy, a trailer for hauling.

AND......that kind of art could take up A LOT of space for a workshop......this means they will have to rent something larger than just a one or two bed apartment. They will need a garage, basement, and/or yard space, etc. I don't know what kind of scrap sculptures he's making, but if he's going to the dump to find things his works are probably large.

While I'm all for art of any kind, he might have to scale down the size of his operation. Tin cans and bottle caps, instead of hub caps and household plumbing.
ohjodi
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:36 am My mom did not have cancer but she had a MA plan. Maximum out of pocket for a year was something like $6k. I believe that included the Rx that were part of the plan. But I’m not sure. You always hear about people on Medicare or private health insurance who still have big bills. IC’s Sunday friend I think is in that category.

At a certain income level, someone becomes a Medicare/Medicaid dual eligible. My uncle was in that category. For him I know everything was covered 100% except things like hearing aids, glasses and probably dental.
"""""""""
At a certain income level, someone becomes a Medicare/Medicaid dual eligible. My uncle was in that category. For him I know everything was covered 100% except things like hearing aids, glasses and probably dental.""""""

you are right about my sunday friend
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:30 am That would have to come out of the $50/month for entertainment. But to me it sounded like the guy thought that the material would be free from the scrapyard? Not sure how that works.
I don't know about VeroBeach FL, but in my town you have to pay by the pound for anything you want from the scrap yard—and don't plan on getting anything from the landfill as they frown on you taking usable stuff you see there (really stupid in my mind), they fine you for that.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 am Interesting article. Interesting posts about it. I actually didn't find anything surprising about it. But then I live in Florida. I do a lot of what they suggest. I cut hubs hair and trim mine. I never visit the beauty parlor. My color is out of a $2.99 bottle every 6 weeks. I trim our toenails. Our monthly income is similar to theirs and we rarely spend it all. Utilities are cheap since we keep it simple. Electricity is highest during the summer at $60/month. In the winter, it is about half that cost. No gas or water utility. Most expensive utility is phone and internet. Of course, we don't eat out which saves a lot.

Still I do agree with you all that they have no savings and have debt which I abhor.
Curious, how do you keep electricity down to only $60 a month any time? My sister and daughter both live in FL and daughter's electric for 2 bedroom apartment is about $106 and my sisters for a 1 bedroom mobile home $275?