Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by colonialgirl »

Hey guys -
I have been on you tube a lot looking for freezer meals. There are many channels I will watch because they talk about food storage, cooking ahead, pantry stocking etc. and these are all things that interest me. But to be honest - a lot of these folks are the sky is falling type of nutty preppers. I like to be stocked up ahead but not because I think the CIA is getting ready to roll tanks into my cul de sac - ya know?

At any rate, many of them have been posting videos at all kinds of grocery stores, especially Walmart, that show empty shelves and signs that saying due to poor harvest the store is unable to stock at the current time. One poor guy was on there saying this is the food shortage that I have been predicting since 1984. I hate to tell him but if he has predicted something for 35 years, he is not exactly Kreskin. But I disgress.

Have any of you all seen indicators of food shortages currently? I am expecting some due to the late and disasterous spring weather. Living in the farm belt I know that Illinois, a huge producer of soy beans and corn, was unable to plant at all on many farms.

Just wondering if I need to kick up my stock up a little.
floridacatlover

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by floridacatlover »

I have not seen food shortages and this is not directly related to poor farm crops but on another forum I read a thread about problems in the trucking industry. This was an investment forum not a bunch of preppers. In a nutshell from what I understand, freight shipments are down and a number of small, independent trucking companies have gone out of business.

One person who seems to work in the industry said that because of the Trump tariffs a lot of manufacturing has shifted to Vietnam but there is a labor shortage there so fewer shipments and less business for truckers who are struggling. Another said her friends had closed their small company because they couldn’t get their product shipped.

The headline was “Truckers Sound the Alarm.” So this did not apply necessarily to food but to all types of items. Who knows if this is correct. But it caught my eye and made me, someone who rarely stockpiles, think about stocking up on a few things. Apart from food, I was thinking of OTC meds.

On the other hand, the WalMart near me has for years been notorious for having big sections of empty shelves and taking forever to restock items. So maybe this is nothing new.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Not noticing any shortages here. I do expect produce prices to go up though due to weather.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Not really seeing shortages here. Rather I am seeing big jumps in the prices of items.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Nope
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Maybe there is a trucker shortage because all the truckers are down here in south texas hauling sand for fracing or whatever it is called.

We are surrounded by sand mines. I have 18 wheeler trucks passing in front of my house hauling one or two huge boxes of sand. All day and all night. 24/7

It has gotten so bad one group has started a "petition" to get them to slow down. All our roadways around here are overun with these trucks.