DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

I got more ambitious as the day continued. Still I stopped before pushing my knee too far. Today, I will do a bit more. It is a good time to pull weeds since the ground is saturated.

Tomorrow, I will take the car into the shop and have them fix it. They think they can get it done in an hour based on the code information I gave them. We will see. I should be able to walk to a couple of store while waiting and buy a few things. Or if it is raining, I will wait until Tuesday. They don't require appointments. I don't have anywhere I need to go, so I can do it on my time.

Once the car is fixed, I will go ahead and schedule a measure for the new kitchen. That means putting money down. I have that scheduled to do this week. Meanwhile, I will try every day to get 2 more trashcans of weeds pulled. By yard waste day on Thursday, I should have quite a bit done.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Putting off the car for another day. I have plenty of food in the house and by waiting a couple of days I can combine the auto shop with nearby shopping. This means I can spend more time weeding. It is my plan for the week.

Think I pushed the knee a bit yesterday. Be a bit more careful today.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

I did some serious weed work yesterday and it was a lot for the knee. Needed ice last night. So I skipped the morning walk. I am pleased that I finally tackled the weedy area. I had great plans for the area 2 years ago. But it required regular hands on to stay neat. And that didn't work out. So it got out of control. Well, it is less out of control this morning. Today will be putting all those weeds into trashcans for removal. That is a lot of work actually. Tomorrow, they will get picked up and will be gone.

Tomorrow is probably the car to the shop day. Hubs is out of cheese, cottage cheese and today he will have to go with yogurt for snack. Salad doesn't hold him until dinner. We are on the last head of lettuce. We ate all the chicken and we are back to beef for tonight. Nothing interesting in this weeks grocery store ads, so time to pull another big chicken package out of the freezer. They take several days to thaw. Likely hamburgers tonight and Italian flavored ground beef tomorrow. Then back to chicken on Friday.

I found a coupon for gum in the weekly ads. I clipped it. First coupon ad clip in a long while. Usually coupons are for brands I don't use.

I continue removing the veneer from the future outdoor kitchen cooking center. A little closer every day. Using the leaf blower to keep the front concrete cleaned off. The old oak is dropping stuff on it all the time. It is starting to show its age. Hope it has a few years left. The other 2 oaks near the house are nearing their end too. Again, hope they last until next year. They will cost a bundle to remove.

I am definitely going to reduce my garden areas in the back yard. I have established some bushes along the fence. They are doing well and don't need work. They block most of the weeds. Once I get this area under control, I will be working again on ground cover. I really want to go that way in that area to reduce mowing.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday pm

Decided not to work in the yard yesterday. My knee was bothering me a bit. I think I made the right decision. I got the 4 trashcans of weeds out to the street and they were picked up. Not the 8 I had hoped to do, but at least I made progress. Rains arrived early, so no work in the yard at all.

Dinner will be Italian ground beef with vegetables. Did work on cleaning, de-cluttering and organizing. Very satisfying. Lots more to do
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

Today, I may get the sensor replaced. Hubs is very nervous about it and asks me every day if I am going to do it today. We will see what the weather is like after breakfast.

My knee is better and I walked today. They say the rains will hold off until 2 pm. We will see on that. I had to unhook the rain barrel from the irrigation line again. Too much rain, too fast. The water was gushing out of the top of the barrel. There was very little overflow from the gutter meaning cleaning out the gutter worked.

Another day of rain is predicted. The leftover rain from invest 95. If true, there should be less this weekend and a good time to work in the yard.

I am thinking of getting a cover for the car. It sits out in the heat every day and maybe a cover would protect it a bit. They are not expensive. Thinking on it.

Tonight, I want steak with Brussel sprouts. I thawed the steaks yesterday. They had been in the freezer for a month and it is time. They were on a great sale.

Then tomorrow, we start on the family package of chicken breasts thawing in the refrigerator.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday pm

Sensor replaced for $150. and I walked from the repair shop to Walmart market and Walgreens. Bought a few necessities and then at Walgreens bought gum, used my 50c off coupon and my reward points. Saved $5.50. Nice.

Got more 99c/lb tomatoes at Winn Dixie and some yogurt.

Unfortunately, I lost a filling I think, so I called the dentist for an appointment next week. I was due to go in this month anyways.